Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE vs Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
alex_hk90
There is something to that I suppose.
But wouldn't you want to enjoy your 3 years at university as well?

As opposed to the rest of my life afterwards? Actually in all honesty i choose a uni with a lesser reputation over one which is fairly good (queen mary over SOAS) and have regretted it ever since, yes i had a good time but it has always played in the back of my mind.
i personally want to give myself the highest possible entry level into the labour market, thats the predominant consideration.
So all this "best unis are subjective" talk is unhelpful and obscures the reason one goes to university.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
jeebsa
As opposed to the rest of my life afterwards? Actually in all honesty i choose a uni with a lesser reputation over one which is fairly good (queen mary over SOAS) and have regretted it ever since, yes i had a good time but it has always played in the back of my mind.
i personally want to give myself the highest possible entry level into the labour market, thats the predominant consideration.
So all this "best unis are subjective" talk is unhelpful and obscures the reason one goes to university.

Reputation is indeed important, but surely between LSE and Cambridge the difference is minimal?
Cambridge probably shades it though. :wink:

However if it was between LSE and (say) Southampton, although you might enjoy your 3 years at Southampton more, going to LSE would almost certainly be more beneficial in the long run. I think this is what you are saying, and in that I would agree with you.
Reply 142
yes the difference is minimal at such a level, i would actually say LSE slightly beats oxbridge for jobs. Thats my point, LSE admission process is easier to bluff through with similar propects to oxbridge, so why bother with oxbridge.
jeebsa
yes the difference is minimal at such a level, i would actually say LSE slightly beats oxbridge for jobs. Thats my point, LSE admission process is easier to bluff through with similar propects to oxbridge, so why bother with oxbridge.

Quite a few people on here have offers from Cambridge but not from LSE, so I'm not sure I'd agree with you that LSE's admissions are any easier. Maybe if you have amazing GCSE results it gives you a bigger advantage than it would for Oxbridge, but otherwise the interview gives you an opportunity to make up for any weaknesses in your paper application that you don't get with LSE.
Reply 144
well the admission process for LSE excludes an interview and internal examination. From my own personal experience LSE is very lax and seemingly resembles a business rather than an purely govt funded academic institution (not that its bad). Do you think it is viable to talk about UCL vs Cambridge? Or is the difference too immense?
jeebsa
well the admission process for LSE excludes an interview and internal examination. From my own personal experience LSE is very lax and seemingly resembles a business rather than an purely govt funded academic institution (not that its bad). Do you think it is viable to talk about UCL vs Cambridge? Or is the difference too immense?

For Economics, UCL is right up there with LSE and Cambridge. But from my experience their admissions process is to try and filter out those who are not going to use them as their Firm choice. Hence the mandatory open days before getting an offer. At the open day I went to, they even said that they tried to see from your Personal Statement if you applied for Economics and Management or PPE at Oxford and if so would generally avoid giving you an offer. :rolleyes:
Reply 146
alex_hk90
For Economics, UCL is right up there with LSE and Cambridge. But from my experience their admissions process is to try and filter out those who are not going to use them as their Firm choice. Hence the mandatory open days before getting an offer. At the open day I went to, they even said that they tried to see from your Personal Statement if you applied for Economics and Management or PPE at Oxford and if so would generally avoid giving you an offer. :rolleyes:

Hah! That's weird. Most people that apply to Oxbridge get rejected anyway, and then end up with offers from neither unis.

I applied to UCL on Jan the 15th, and they know I applied to Cambridge (ignorant referee put it in her reference). Do you think they figured out that I had already been rejected by Jan 15th?
NickkO
Hah! That's weird. Most people that apply to Oxbridge get rejected anyway, and then end up with offers from neither unis.

Yeah, it doesn't really make sense on UCL's part.
However, I think it's because they took in too many students for L100 this year (I've read on here that they have 200 students for 160 places).
So I suppose it's just easier to automatically reject many of the Oxford applicants.

NickkO
I applied to UCL on Jan the 15th, and they know I applied to Cambridge (ignorant referee put it in her reference). Do you think they figured out that I had already been rejected by Jan 15th?

They should be able to figure it out, but as the UCL representative at the open day kept on saying, they have had over 2500 applicants for L100 this year, so I don't know if they will spend enough time on each individual application to notice the date of application.
Joe555
*cough cough* London school of ECONOMICS. If you're serious about economics and finance etc. how can you NOT know about it? Ranked first in England and very prestigious with the WHOLE WORLD when it comes to economics???

The LSE is not terribly well known in the US.
In fact, apart from circles like academic economists, I would say that the LSE is virtually unknown in the US.

Oxford and to a lesser extent, Cambridge are fairly famous in the US, though there is a perception that they are not as good as the Ivies.
flugestuge
Oxford and to a lesser extent, Cambridge are fairly famous in the US, though there is a perception that they are not as good as the Ivies.

Typical American attitude. :rolleyes: :p: :wink:
Reply 150
alex_hk90
Yeah, it doesn't really make sense on UCL's part.
However, I think it's because they took in too many students for L100 this year (I've read on here that they have 200 students for 160 places).
So I suppose it's just easier to automatically reject many of the Oxford applicants.

They should be able to figure it out, but as the UCL representative at the open day kept on saying, they have had over 2500 applicants for L100 this year, so I don't know if they will spend enough time on each individual application to notice the date of application.

I applied to R990, though. 400 applicants for 40 places. 100 get invited for invited and so did I. Must be some awkward situations to look forward to, when the adm tutor is sitting in front of me reading my reference.

"..applying for the Philosophy programme at the University of Cambridge."

Ghaha! Bitter laugh.
Getting an offer from LSE is not easy at all!!! Come on, how can you fool an admission tutor who reads 2000+ applications (especially for Economics) and think that they are going to be fooled! lol.....
NickkO
I applied to R990, though. 400 applicants for 40 places. 100 get invited for invited and so did I. Must be some awkward situations to look forward to, when the adm tutor is sitting in front of me reading my reference.

"..applying for the Philosophy programme at the University of Cambridge."

Ghaha! Bitter laugh.

At least you'll be prepared for it. :biggrin:
They couldn't have minded that much if they invited you for interview.
Good luck. :smile:
flugestuge

That is pretty ignorant on their behalf... :rolleyes:
flugestuge
The LSE is not terribly well known in the US.
In fact, apart from circles like academic economists, I would say that the LSE is virtually unknown in the US.

President Josiah Bartlett?
Reply 155
alex-i originally applied to Caius, ah so pretty, but got pooled to newnham-all girls.

I think in terms of reputation, an employer wouldn't discriminate against you because you went to Cambridge rather than LSE.
Reply 156
The West Wing
President Josiah Bartlett?

And what about the less impressive, but nonetheless cool, john f kennedy
alex_hk90
Typical American attitude. :rolleyes: :p: :wink:

Well, apart from a few subjects (Oxford for Classics and Philosophy, Cambridge for Mathematics ) they actually are not as good as the Ivies.

I cant see Law or Economics at Oxford or Cambridge competing with Harvard Law School or Harvard Business School or Wharton Business School.
Or Engineering at Oxford or Cambridge competing even with non-Ivies like Caltech, MIT or Stanford.
Or even with non-US places like the IITs
XIII
And what about the less impressive, but nonetheless cool, john f kennedy

Actually, John F Kennedy thought the teaching at LSE was unsatisfactory and left after a week.
"In September 1935, after less than a week at LSE, he sailed back to America"
Sadly, the teaching has remained substandard 73 years later.
flugestuge
Well, apart from a few subjects (Oxford for Classics and Philosophy, Cambridge for Mathematics ) they actually are not as good as the Ivies.

I cant see Law or Economics at Oxford or Cambridge competing with Harvard Law School or Harvard Business School or Wharton Business School.
Or Engineering at Oxford or Cambridge competing even with non-Ivies like Caltech, MIT or Stanford.
Or even with non-US places like the IITs

You are berating the best English Universities on an English forum? After the english actually taught the americans their language? These universities have academic excellence going further than the existence of the United States of America! And studying Economics at LSE, it is one of the best around. I highly doubt most of the Ivy league universities come close to it for Economics. And also, compare the intake of Ivy leagues compared to LSE or Oxbridge.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending