The Student Room Group

Starting a clothing company

I'm 20, half way through my degree and I've had the idea of starting my own clothing company for awhile..
Something along the lines of Hera London, Sik Silk, Bee Inspired, 11 Degrees and the likes.

I like that style but theres a couple of things I would change.
Not to mention the likes of Hera London owner going from working in Vodafone to owning a Lamborghini..

I know marketing is a huge part of it, having people wear it is what really starts the brand, a good product and better marketing..

I know it's not cheap, given I'd probably outsource the manufacturing abroad, but it's still not cheap, I don't know how some brands started with a couple of hundred pound..

Where can I learn to design the products, what software can I use, where can I find blanks etc..

T shirts would be the obvious choice.. but I'd like to design jeans too, just t-shirts would be the smarter choice because it gets the logo out there..

Are there any online resources you guy's know about that could help?
What are your thoughts in general?

Honestly I don't like the point I am at in life, I want to do more than just be an uninterested college student with a handful of friends..
I want to create something, to do something I set my mind to and not just fall into everything like I've done so far..
I mean at the age 23 Drake set a goal to make $25 million by the time he turned 25, and he did..

Anyway, what do you think?
What degree are you studying at the moment? Something simple like T-shirts would be a good start. If you are a good artist, you could design pictures or logos to be printed and then sell them. You could print them yourself, or there are sites where you upload the images and the site will sell the shirts for you. They will take a cut of your sales but it is a good shopfront to start off with. Use of social media like Instagram or Facebook would be good to promote them.
Original post by cheesecakelove
What degree are you studying at the moment? Something simple like T-shirts would be a good start. If you are a good artist, you could design pictures or logos to be printed and then sell them. You could print them yourself, or there are sites where you upload the images and the site will sell the shirts for you. They will take a cut of your sales but it is a good shopfront to start off with. Use of social media like Instagram or Facebook would be good to promote them.

Business.
I'd rather produce something different, have the ability to change little details about the produce, I know I could buy blanks and screen print but I don't want to do that.
From what I've been able to find online, finding a good manufacturer is one of the hardest parts..
I know it would be easier to buy Fruit of Loom or Gildan blanks in bulk and get them printed but with the brands I've mentioned they have slight changes, some t shirts are more slim fitting, scooped/curved hems, different necklines etc, that's what I want to do, not just print onto a t like it's merch..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending