The Student Room Group

My Fresher's at Lancaster University!

Hi! I'm Imogen and I'm starting physics at Lancaster this year. I'm making this to document my fresher's experience and maybe help future students.

A bit about me!
I'm 18, and studied physics, chemistry, and maths A Levels at an all-girls grammar school, achieving 3 A's. This means I'll receive the Lancaster Scholarship, and due to being a contextual applicant, I'm also going to receive the Lancaster Opportunity Scholarship! Outside of academics, I enjoy reading and baking (and I'm hoping to be able to pick up a lot more this year).

My prep so far
I'm starting this quite late, so I'm pretty much fully prepped now with just under 2 weeks until move-in! There's a couple of bits I need to get, crocs to wear in the kitchen and just some more clothes. I'll get all my bathroom and cleaning stuff when I arrive so I have less stuff to put into the car. Most of my stuff for uni is all packed up now, I just have some bits in my room to pack, clothes, and then random stuff such as my hair dryer and medication.

I've completed all of the required online induction, as well as all my registration and module enrolment- if you can really call it that with no optional modules in first year- so I don't have any of that to worry about now.

Biggest worries
I worry a lot. Probably an excessive amount. I'm definitely worried about affording university, but the scholarships have definitely alleviated a lot of that worry. My choice of degree and whether I'll end up enjoying it / overly struggling with it is also a major concern, and then the whole making friends and looking for second year housing etc.

What I'm excited for
I'm definitely excited to move in and decorate! I love all of the stuff I've bought and I can't wait to see how my room turns out. I'm also looking forward to the extra independence! I also really can't wait to just get back into academics and start my degree, as well as meet new people!
Reply 1
Lancaster was one of my top choices! (Didn't apply to it because I need to make way for St Andrews lol)
Have fun studying physics in Lancaster! Honestly don't be afraid to nerd out and send buncha physics stuff you're learning/working to understand here >.<
Original post by imogenbella
Hi! I'm Imogen and I'm starting physics at Lancaster this year. I'm making this to document my fresher's experience and maybe help future students.

A bit about me!
I'm 18, and studied physics, chemistry, and maths A Levels at an all-girls grammar school, achieving 3 A's. This means I'll receive the Lancaster Scholarship, and due to being a contextual applicant, I'm also going to receive the Lancaster Opportunity Scholarship! Outside of academics, I enjoy reading and baking (and I'm hoping to be able to pick up a lot more this year).

My prep so far
I'm starting this quite late, so I'm pretty much fully prepped now with just under 2 weeks until move-in! There's a couple of bits I need to get, crocs to wear in the kitchen and just some more clothes. I'll get all my bathroom and cleaning stuff when I arrive so I have less stuff to put into the car. Most of my stuff for uni is all packed up now, I just have some bits in my room to pack, clothes, and then random stuff such as my hair dryer and medication.

I've completed all of the required online induction, as well as all my registration and module enrolment- if you can really call it that with no optional modules in first year- so I don't have any of that to worry about now.

Biggest worries
I worry a lot. Probably an excessive amount. I'm definitely worried about affording university, but the scholarships have definitely alleviated a lot of that worry. My choice of degree and whether I'll end up enjoying it / overly struggling with it is also a major concern, and then the whole making friends and looking for second year housing etc.

What I'm excited for
I'm definitely excited to move in and decorate! I love all of the stuff I've bought and I can't wait to see how my room turns out. I'm also looking forward to the extra independence! I also really can't wait to just get back into academics and start my degree, as well as meet new people!

Hi Imogen,
Congratulations on your place to study at Lancaster!
I'm just going into my final year studying Geography, and can relate to a lot of what you've said. I was also really excited to start Uni to meet new people and to continue learning about a subject that I enjoy. When you move to Uni most people wont know anyone so will want to make friends, and i found that especially during freshers week there's lots of opportunities to meet people within your college and department through the social events during the day. Also, I'd recommend joining a society to make friends, as everyone there will have a similar interest to you, so you'll always have something to talk about.
About 2nd year housing, the university offers lots of support around helping students find the accommodation they want in 2nd year, and they do housing fairs throughout the year so they'll be able to guide you through the process when you're wanting to look for accommodation.
I'd also definitely recommend crocs or sliders for around the flat!
If you have any questions feel free to ask,
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by PAT_22
Lancaster was one of my top choices! (Didn't apply to it because I need to make way for St Andrews lol)
Have fun studying physics in Lancaster! Honestly don't be afraid to nerd out and send buncha physics stuff you're learning/working to understand here >.<

Ahh thank you! I've just got my timetable now so it's definitely starting to feel a lot more real. I'm getting so excited about it!
Reply 4
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi Imogen,
Congratulations on your place to study at Lancaster!
I'm just going into my final year studying Geography, and can relate to a lot of what you've said. I was also really excited to start Uni to meet new people and to continue learning about a subject that I enjoy. When you move to Uni most people wont know anyone so will want to make friends, and i found that especially during freshers week there's lots of opportunities to meet people within your college and department through the social events during the day. Also, I'd recommend joining a society to make friends, as everyone there will have a similar interest to you, so you'll always have something to talk about.
About 2nd year housing, the university offers lots of support around helping students find the accommodation they want in 2nd year, and they do housing fairs throughout the year so they'll be able to guide you through the process when you're wanting to look for accommodation.
I'd also definitely recommend crocs or sliders for around the flat!
If you have any questions feel free to ask,
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you! I've had a look at some societies and I've definitely found a few I'm interested in.
Ordered some crocs last night as well :smile:

A bit about me!

My prep so far

Biggest worries

What I'm excited for

Hi Imogen,

Congratulations on your scholarship! I also receive a scholarship from the university, I just thought I would let you know that normally the first half is paid November time and the second half is paid in February just so you don't panic when you don't see the money immediately because I know I worried.

Sounds like you're doing great in terms of getting ready move in. I have ended up with so many clothes from buying them for special occasions like themed parties so don't worry too much as they seem to just appear some times as well.

If you're worried about money, you may want to consider part time work. I would recommend having a look at jobs with the university as they tend to be quite flexible around your studies and more understanding during exam periods than other jobs:
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/employment-and-recruitment-service/

I'm sure you'll be able find lots of new friends. I would recommend the baking society as everyone there is absolutely lovely, if not the university also runs a baking competition each year which is fun.

- Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) :smile:
Hello!

Congratulations in your placement at Lancaster University! It sounds like you've prepared a lot for starting into Uni!

Try not to worry too much about making friends, I'm sure there a lot of like-minded people within the University, I'm sure there are events you can attend as well as societies you can join to meet some people, keep in the mindset that everyone is pretty much in the same position as you are about not knowing anyone, just try keep a friendly face and try to introduce yourself, it's just the first step to at least knowing a friendly face! It's helped me a lot through this week!

Good luck on your first week in University, as well as moving in :smile:
Hi Imogen,

Congratulations on your place at Lancaster! As someone who has done 4 years of physics here and is currently starting a physics PhD (also at Lancaster), the department is really nice!

The physics department has a good paid part-time student ambassador programme, which I recommend. You are trained to do tours on open days and they do a few trips to festivals and schools were you can be paid to do outreach. If you want to sign up just ask the people on A floor as you walk in, they'll point you in the right direction.

I also recommend signing up to and doing the department's internal paid internships over summer (they are less likely to take first years but once you get to 2nd year they've got lots of places). I did one myself and it was my first internship, good for the CV and a good paid summer job (6-8 weeks) (normally paying about 1k a month, as per my experience). Individually inquiring to lecturers is the best way to get one of those but they will also email round applications later in the year, so keep an eye out. You'd also be surprised the wide range of companies that will take on physics students over summer and they will pay similarly. Some internships such as those at CERN pay much more, I would say this is an idea mainly for the summer after 2nd,3rd and 4th year. I would also recommend taking up GCSE/A-level tutoring which can bring in about 15-20 pounds an hour, there will be lots of adverts for companies that want tutors when you get to uni. The university also offers lots of part-time admin work and bits and bobs (all advertised in the student hub). I would say that you'll get lots of opportunities after taking the PHYS281 python coding module, as pretty much every company you talk to will want a coder. (they also employ student room ambassadors haha, 1 hour a week, about £10 an hour). There are a whole host of tech/start-up type companies in the co-working space 'Frasier House' which is in town, they run a free pizza + tech talk event called Pydata on the last Wednesday of every month, a good place to meet people to get internships with.

But honestly, don't worry too much. I got the scholarship too and it definitely helped. Finding 2nd year accommodation may be a bit stressful but don't get pressured into living with people you don't want to. You definitely won't end up without a place, Lancaster has lots of student housing. I know people who were looking in June and got places - though I don't recommend leaving it so late for stress reasons. Additionally, you can live on campus in non-1st year accommodation if you like, though you will probably get a better deal in town.

Sorry if that was loads of info, but I put it here in case it'll help anyone else!
Best Wishes,
Ella (1st year PhD student)
Reply 8

A bit about me!

My prep so far

Biggest worries

What I'm excited for

Hi Imogen, I'm Katie. I've just started my 2nd year at Lancaster. I really need someone to replace my roommate in the next academic year (24/25). So if you possibly want a cosy 2 bedroom flat in town next year, living with one other girl, let me know asap. No worries if you've already got people to live with!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending