The Student Room Group

May's government would be undemocratic to ban smacking

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rinsed
What you are arguing for is, in fact, a massive power grab by the state over parenting, and a strike against the cohesiveness of the family unit.

The state rightly forbids parents from harming children, but beyond that and a few other responsibilities the task of raising the child is left to the parents. What we are increasingly seeing is the state trying to exercise control over ordinary, non-harmful familial interactions. The 'historical anomaly' you speak of is the assumption that in ordinary situations families are better place to look out for their children than the government, which is increasingly being challenged by people such as you.

Indeed, you seem to be proposing that the assumption should in fact be that parents have no more rights over their children than they do over any other person, except in circumstances where the government (for purely practical reasons) condescends to allow an exception. This is an outrageous encroachment on the the family as the very bedrock of society.

Indeed, it does change the balance of power within a family unit, in precisely the same way as granting married women rights over their own person was a change in the historical balance of power within the family unit. In each case, there is no extension of the rights of the state, but of the rights of the woman and the child, respectively. The state's role is simply to guarantee that the person can exercise their rights.

You are quite wrong in asserting that "smacking" children does no harm. I'd be pleased to look at any good quality research evidence you can cite that demonstrates your contention, but I have already pointed out several studies and professional paediatric/child welfare authorities (not state bodies, incidentally) who are satisfied with the evidence that "smacking" causes significant harm.

This being the case, your own argument - that "the state rightly forbids parents from harming children" - should lead you to support a ban on hitting children just as it forbids us to hit grown-up women and men.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
Of all the ridiculous false-equivalences in this thread, this is probably the stupidest.

What's the difference between robbing a corner shop with a sawn-off shotgun and taking your kid's toy away because they've misbehaved?

That is two different things. I put it to you. What is the difference between hitting a child, hitting an adult or hitting an animal? Answer, currently, it is perfectly legal to hit a child as long as it is your own child.

What kind of crazy world do we live in where it is illegal to hit a dog, but perfectly acceptable to hit a child?
Reply 42
Original post by erika heynatz
I always give them a gentle smack
I think my two girls are well behaved
I smacked them regularly since they were toddlers
I have never had much grief from them
I am pro-smacking it is vital to maintain discipline
The fact that you have to do it regularly (on the other thread you said "daily" ) shows that it clearly does not work. Or you are smacking them for no good reason.

Either way, you disprove your own argument.
Reply 43
Original post by ByEeek
That is two different things. I put it to you. What is the difference between hitting a child, hitting an adult or hitting an animal? Answer, currently, it is perfectly legal to hit a child as long as it is your own child.

What kind of crazy world do we live in where it is illegal to hit a dog, but perfectly acceptable to hit a child?
The legal definition of "domestic violence" doesn't even require physical contact. Yet children aren't afforded the same protection as their parents.

Crazy indeed!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 44
With The planned Ban in Wales and Scotland on smacking Children it is reported today that the Theresa May government are considering banning it.
I want this to be a debate forum, so please do not judge me on my parenting, I think it is PC gone mad for government to tell as how we can raise our children, I think parents are too soft with kids now days mine are both girls 7 and 8.
I am 31 and a single mom, I always give them a gentle smack on the bum or on the hand when they are naughty, I think saying no don't do this or that is not enough a little smack is needed, I only smack behind closed doors, I think my two girls are well behaved ,mostly at home and at school due to a little smack regularly, I smacked them regularly since they were toddlers and I have never had much grief from them up till now, they know if they naughty they will get a little smack. I am pro-smacking it is vital to maintain discipline, off course there is a difference between a smack and a beating What is the point of being a parent if you haven't got control over your children? And if you can't chastise your children then what's the point of being a parent in the first place?The problem is that kids probably never got a smack and were never told no means no. people can say I was wrong or anyone else who smacks their children are wrong, just saying get up stop it is not enough you need to be a bit cruel to be kind. Smacking scares kids so they don't misbehave again. What are your views on this its controversial I know.

How about wife smacking?
Reply 45
Original post by Rinsed
Of all the ridiculous false-equivalences in this thread, this is probably the stupidest.

What's the difference between robbing a corner shop with a sawn-off shotgun and taking your kid's toy away because they've misbehaved?

Do you mean their cuddly toy?
With The planned Ban in Wales and Scotland on smacking Children it is reported today that the Theresa May government are considering banning it.
I want this to be a debate forum, so please do not judge me on my parenting, I think it is PC gone mad for government to tell as how we can raise our children, I think parents are too soft with kids now days mine are both girls 7 and 8.
I am 31 and a single mom, I always give them a gentle smack on the bum or on the hand when they are naughty, I think saying no don't do this or that is not enough a little smack is needed, I only smack behind closed doors, I think my two girls are well behaved ,mostly at home and at school due to a little smack regularly, I smacked them regularly since they were toddlers and I have never had much grief from them up till now, they know if they naughty they will get a little smack. I am pro-smacking it is vital to maintain discipline, off course there is a difference between a smack and a beating What is the point of being a parent if you haven't got control over your children? And if you can't chastise your children then what's the point of being a parent in the first place?The problem is that kids probably never got a smack and were never told no means no. people can say I was wrong or anyone else who smacks their children are wrong, just saying get up stop it is not enough you need to be a bit cruel to be kind. Smacking scares kids so they don't misbehave again. What are your views on this its controversial I know.

'I have to smack my kids to discipline them!' Undemocratic
Original post by Rinsed
Banning smacking would only have the effect of putting good, loving families on the wrong side of the law.

Rubbish. Good, loving families don'thit their kids. There are many non-violent ways of disciplining a child that don't require violence that are far more effective.

You will be telling me that speeding laws penalise drivers who speed but don't kill other road users.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
That would indeed be a crazy world, which is why it is not illegal to hit a dog. In a very similar fashion, animal cruelty is illegal, but giving your dog a rap on the nose or something like that if it's doing something naughty is not.

My friends have dogs. They don't discipline with raps around the nose. It isn't necessary. Same with kids. The naughty step is a powerful deterrent in my house.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Todays standards or the standards of the day - make no difference to me.
But in the context it absolutely does make a difference. There was a time when hitting a child was acceptable parenting. There was a time when marrying your children off to partners you'd vetted and preselected was acceptable. Arranged marriages however are no longer acceptable, and with time hitting a child will go the same way - does this mean that the older generations parenting was unacceptable? By modern standards absolutely.

The simple fact is that to argue that smacking always results in failure is simply not true based both on current times and historical times. Its very clear that its possible to smack a child and raise a good child.. but its also possible to smack a child and to abuse a child.

As has been said though, hitting a child does not have any benefit. Decades of research has started to point down the line that corporal punishment is counter-effective, resulting in higher levels of anti-social behaviour in later life.

So for me that part I take issue with is the general negative brush. I don't mind people saying that there are better ways to do things.. what I mind is people tarring all parents who ever smack their children as 'unfit'. Take the Op - we have never met her children, they could be lovely, clever, rounded, polite individuals for all we know.. or not.

Let's be fair, op has said in this thread "if you can't chastise children what is the point of being a parent" in response to suggestions she shouldn't hit her kids. She is suggesting the position that there's no point being a parent if you can't hit your kids - she is an unfit parent.

...The positive about smacking though is its incredibly easy for bad parents to understand and implement. Even the most disinterested, awful, lazy parents can understand: kid does something bad to many times = smack. Its much clearer and easier then the more complicated reason-based discipline that my business helps parents to utilize...

To be quite frank, easy for bad parents to understand is not a positive, nor is it any sort of argument against those who practice corporal punishment being unfit to care for a child.
Original post by Rinsed
No, what there is no justification for (literally) is your wild pontifications on exercise of authority.

What it comes down to is this: given that parents need to be able to control their children, can a light smack be used as an effective, harmless and quick form of discipline? A question to which the answer is obviously yes.

If you don't like it, or think there are better methods, then don't use it on your own kids. But if you want to go around telling other people how to keep theirs in line you're going to need much stronger arguments as to how a smack light enough such that it doesn't leave a mark is harmful to the child.

Given the current consensus is that corporal punishment is not effective, and can actually be counter effective, no, the answer is not "obviously yes".
Reply 51
Original post by Rinsed
Well, for instance, yes.

Are you some kind of psycho?
Reply 52
Original post by Rinsed
Have I walked through the looking-glass and not noticed.

Not only is smacking a child evil, but if they act out you can't even take away a toy for a while as punishment! What would you people do to discipline a naughty child?!

What should a child do to discipline a naughty parent?
Original post by Rinsed
This is patently ridiculous. Does a light smack often make a child stop doing something naughty? Yes. Obviously. All the time. This is why people do it in the first place, they didn't just decide they enjoy it and look for justification.

If you're looking at long term outcomes the waters are slightly muddier, and if you don't want to do it to your own kids then fine! .

By slightly muddier you mean completely against your pro-abuse position, hence why child psychologists argue not to do it: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/great-kids-great-parents/201404/why-physical-punishment-does-not-work?amp

This is not a live and let live situation. Where you are willingly harming another person "don't do it if you don't like it" is not a valid position

But stop pretending people who do are evil *******s, because in almost all cases they're just loving parents who want their kid to play nicely

Incompetent =/= malicious. But, let's be fair, they're on a par with domestic abusers.
Original post by Tiger Rag
How would this be enforced? We can't stop people drink driving, using mobile phones whilst driving or doing other dangerous activity...

Better make drink driving legal then.
Original post by Rinsed
The wife-beating example is patently ridiculous. It is not just that I wouldn't hit my wife, even trying to "discipline" her in the way one would discipline a child would be absurd. The situation is radically different in innumerable ways.

Secondly, lawful physical chastisement does not cause physical harm, basically by definition. What you're talking about is something rather less, the idea that smacking causes worse statistically worse outcomes, on average. Which is perfectly reasonable point to make in general, but even if it could be statistically proven that smacking children led to worse outcomes on average (and I do dispute that point, but even so) then that would not nearly be sufficient to ban it. Because if it were sufficient then that would concede that the government has the right to legislate on optimal parenting styles. Parents who don't read to their kids are hurting their life chances, but I wouldn't legislate to force them.

Parents should not be allowed to do things which directly and provably cause harm in the specific instance. Things which statistically might on average cause worse outcomes later in life sometimes is way, way too low a bar to set.

Your suggestion that "physical chastisement" (another euphemism - apologists for hitting children are full of them) "does not cause physical harm by definition" begs the question. This is precisely the point at issue.

So it is telling that neither you nor anyone else has cited any research that challenges the extensive evidence that children who are hit by their parents tend to have worse behavioural and mental health outcomes. You dismiss meta-analyses and the collective opinions of child psychologists. Presumably, the views of the NSPCC, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health, Barnardos, Royal College of Midwives, Homestart, British Association for Fostering and Adoption, Victim Support....(I could go on) should also be discarded. Instead, the evidence that convinces you and should convince us, it seems, is your personal opinion..

And your opinion is not that hitting does good, it's that not enough children are badly damaged enough to meet your personal threshold for action. I wonder if your threshold would have been reached had you seen Carla Nicole Bone's mother's boyfriend slapping her for refusing to walk (after she died at his hands, he told the police that "it was not excessive smacks...it was the way I had been brought up..."? Or 6 year old Lauren Wright, who had been seen in the village being "smacked" by her stepmother (no-one did anything because they thought they had no right to interfere. She also died later of her injuries)? Or Victoria Climbie (whose torture began with slaps and "smacks" which were witnessed by others)? This is not meant as a personal slight, and neither do I think that "smacking" is always, or even often, the action of cruel or vindictive parents. The point is that by permitting physical assaults on children by adults, we create a culture where, in everyday situations, the limits of what level of violence is permissible is unclear and based on personal opinion - like yours (and mine). It undermines our collective ability to protect the vulnerable.

Otherwise, your argument that children should not be protected from assault within the family in the same way as adult women apparently rests on differences which are "innumerable" - but none of which you articulate.

Perversely, perhaps, I am not persuaded.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
Firstly, child-psychologists are not right up there on my most-trusted-professionals index, and in all honesty that article is a good example of why. I'm not saying there are not perfectly reputable people who are against smacking, but that guy sounds like a complete quack (or whatever the child-psychologist equivalent is).

When it comes to raising a child you don't trust child psychologists? Well, you enjoy your arrogant and absurd anti-intellectualism, but with any luck the government will be smart enough to trust experts.

In my opinion, if you want to make an argument for radically increased intervention in the parent-child relationship then the burden of proof for actual harm is going to need to much higher than a few meta-analyses which says children who were smacked are more likely to be badly behaved as adults (maybe the reason they were smacked as children is because they were badly behaved, and maybe childhood and adult behaviour are correlated...).

What you actually mean here is there's no evidence you'll accept, you'll just resort to lame alternative rationalisations as if the researchers wouldn't possibly think to control for it.

In this country, we tend to ban things which have direct damages attributable to them in the specific incidences in question. The things these studies talk about are hypothetical and statistical.

Doesn't sound right, and even if it is, it's wrong. Policy should always be based on evidence, not anecdote.

I hope you're aware you're labelling most parents in the country domestic abusers. Maybe you're OK with that and don't think it makes your opinion sound offensively ridiculous.

I'd rather hope that I'm not and that most parents aren't pro-child abuse. But perhaps I've too much faith in people to not practice such obvious barbarism.
Reply 57
I am going to smack a bunch of North Koreans so they will get democracy.
Original post by Rinsed
You are deliberately conflating physical harm (which is actually a pretty objective concept) with other adverse correlations which are only allegedly visible if you look at meta-analyses of thousands and thousands of people. The law is nuanced enough to treat these things differently, so maybe you should to.

If it were my own children then yes, absolutely, my opinion should win out. The assumption should be that you know my children and you know what's best for them, except in situations where physical or mental harm can be proven, or even is likely. And with the best will in the world it would be hard to prove an instance of legal smacking is likely to cause harm. I have a lot of respect for the NSPCC et al there, but parents are allowed to disagree because parenting has not yet been completely outsourced to government statisticians.

I mean a lot of those groups will tell you the damage you do to a child by giving them fizzy drinks. I'm not going to deny the truth of that (indeed the case for long term harm is somewhat stronger in this case) but would you make it against the law for parents to do it? If not, why not?

When something bad happens, the idea that we should all have seen the warning signs is a powerful one. So powerful in fact, that it is possible to fall headlong into your non-sequitur. The fact that in those instances brutal, life-threatening beatings were preceded by legal-smacking does not mean that smacking normally prefaces such things, or even that banning it might prevent such incidents. People who get away with child abuse for long enough for something terrible to happen know the difference between what they can get away with in public and the privacy of their own home. The idea that these people can restrain themselves in public to within the law at present (no smacking hard enough to leave a mark), but once we go the whole hog they'll suddenly be found out, I find somewhat unconvincing.

Indeed, the point you seem to be making that by giving your child a quick slap on the back of the legs you are giving succour to brutal child killers is patently absurd. Normal parents discipline their children out of love, not a desire to inflict suffering.

Once again, you are deliberately associating smacking with something completely different. It's almost as if you struggle making the case on its own merits, so you're throwing sh*t-bombs about child-killers and wife-beaters. But you know what, I'll bite.

Wives are equal partners in a relationship, children are not. The realm of things which it is completely reasonable to do to a child but which would be considered abusive in an adult relationship go way beyond smacking. You make choices for children whether they like them or not, you set boundaries and impose discipline when those boundaries are broken. To a child you are an authority figure, and one of the ways authority might be imposed is reasonable physical chastisement. The change you spoke about in the marital relationship was just this one of authority, and rightly so. But unless you think parents should not have authority over their children the analogy fails somewhat.

To recap, the case for a ban is both for the general welfare of children and to safeguard those children most likely to be severely assaulted by their parents.

On the first count, you clearly have no rebuttal to the large scale research, frequently repeated, over many contexts and countries and carried out by many agencies, that shows lasting harm to a significant proportion of children. Your only response seems to cast vague aspersions about "statistics" in general (or even worse, "government" statistics :P), as if they had no connection with real children in real life. In fact, your representation of the value of these studies is exactly wrong - the point of large scale and meta-analyses is that they eliminate the random and contingent variability of single case examples and allow the overall trend of harm to be discerned. In the absence of a refutation of what are concrete and robust data, your analogy to fizzy drinks adds nothing to the argument.

On the second issue, I wonder if have you have read any of the serious case reviews involving child deaths resulting from assaults by parent figures? Had you done so, you may have noted that, contrary to your suggestion, serious assaults are indeed commonly preceded by less severe "physical chastisement".

Further, how many child killers do you think claim that they know what is best for their own children? How many have said their actions are based in love and concern? How would you distinguish between those who hit out of malice and those who hit out of love? What about those - the majority, perhaps - who act out of a complex mixture of love, frustration, anger, fatigue and a failure of imagination? And who is to judge? Parental motivation is patently no guarantee of a good outcome.

You concede that the law has a place in protecting children from their parents. The trouble with the current situation is that what you claim is a "clear" criterion is not clear at all. One method of "physical chastisement" used by Victoria Climbe's killers was to stand her in a cold shower. It's a common punishment, and leaves no mark or lasting physical injury. I have worked with children whose parents have contrived ingenious methods of "physical chastisement" that conform to the legal guidance (which is that any blow should be administered - with the open hand, on a part of the body where it will not cause harm, and not severe enough to leave a mark.) As just one example, one stepfather used to deliver an open-handed blow to his child's diaphragm, causing her to double up in pain and breathlessness whenever he judged (out of love and concern, no doubt) that she required "correction".

Current law both fails to protect the majority of children from the harm that we can demonstrate in large scale population analyses, and it makes challenging what can amount to severe physical cruelty problematic. That's why the "experts" in child welfare - the NSPCC, the paediatricians, the parenting support groups et al support a ban on "smacking".

One thing I do agree with you on is that parents should be a figure of authority to their children. Providing clear boundaries is an important part of that role. I can think of few things more likely to undermine that authority than telling a child on the one hand that one should not hit others, and that one should be kind, especially to people smaller and more vulnerable than oneself, and attempting to teach these lessons by hitting them.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Rinsed
To be honest this is an important point. It's not that I think parents should not trust experts, but parents should absolutely be allowed to make decisions for their child except in specific instances where they are directly, provably causing harm. The government simply must not bow to the authoritarian temptation to start banning things on the basis of jumped-up experts with questionable statistics.

Except it's more than questionable statistics - the research done so far shows a clear correlation between corporal punishment and worse mental health outcomes/higher rates of delinquency as an adult. The best you can say is that they've not shown causation yet, but frankly we've banned other things which no sensible person would argue to bring back (e.g. Lead paint) on similar standards of evidence.

To be honest that's a completely reasonable rationalisation. These sorts of correlations are just the sort of things a sensible researcher ought to consider. One of my big bug-bears is the poor quality of statistics which emanate from various public or independent bodies, especially when they push up against politically correct shibboleths. Here they have noticed a correlation and then leapt to the conclusion they wanted all along without considering viable alternative explanations.

Complete *******s, like every other post you've made. What you actually mean is that you don't like the evidence, because it doesn't fit your half baked opinion, and because your opinion is unsupportable, you're going to resort to absurd aspersions against the entire field of child psychology as being 'politically correct', the go-to phantom enemy of the right wing. You're as intellectually dishonest as climate-change deniers.

'Anecdote' is a bizarre way to characterise the higher burden of proof I advocated.

Basing something off specific instances rather than a body of evidence is a higher burden of proof? Well, we can see you've no clue of how evidence based policy works...

If I remember correctly (and I can drag up stats for this if you want) most parents in the UK have at some point used physical chastisement. If you stick to your ridiculous "child abuse" rhetoric, your clear and slanderous implication is that most parents are child abusers. Now, I think this makes you sound like a complete idiot, but maybe you don't.

If that's the case then most parents will have physically abused their child, so yeah, I'm happy to call most parents child abusers in that case

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending