The Student Room Group

Oxford and Cambridge Serious Bias towards Youtube

There seems to be a growing cohort of youtubers, who make videos about applying to oxford/cambridge and then do successfully get offers and interviews,

Is this an unfair practice ????

How is a normal human being who doesnt want to spew on about revision a level tips and proclaiming themselves with a social media following being impacted.. Should unis be making offers based on someones youtube career ???

Scroll to see replies

Unjaded Jade was rejected.
Yet she was one of the most differentiated candidates.

Why?

-11A* at GCSE, AAAA at AS
Perhaps one of her A's was low, (Biology grade boundary was only 57%)
- Spending too much time on YouTube
She is the only, ever, Oxford vlogger to make more than 3 videos about the interview.
Not only that, she barely talked about her interview and was focused on socializing.
In her second clip, you can clearly see people in the JCR giving themselves mock interviews between individuals (7:38)
*most important*- Interview Performance
With her background, her socials and her acclaimed "brightness" she probably didn't portray this at all in the Interview.
She was less challenged since she said she found it to be a "chat".
Other students she was with, "Lauren" (Don't know if she gave out her real name online) and "Maxwell" said they found their interviews hard.
-Interference
I have no doubt in my mind that with 100k followers on YouTube not one of her fans tried to give her an edge in.
This may not be the case but probably true, especially for Jade.

This is my perception of why I think Jade was rejected, and it is very much one of these 4 reasons I've listed.
I watched "IbzMo" a less successful student but gained A*A*A in A2 year describe his interview experience and he clearly thought of it as more than a "chat". In fact, he found it awful and described the questions as really hard. This shows him to be a person the Oxbridge institutions can teach. They want to teach you. They want you to know how to fail and how to succeed the next time.
How can they teach you if you didn't feel challenged enough IN OXBRIDGE!!?

So far, Jade has never seen less than A on official results.
Her first "U" would definitely be in Oxford, because in reality there are more than 5000 identical (academic wise) applicants to Oxbridge.
They pick and choose who they want from the Interview, this is why you still have to do an interview on your gap year, with your results.

This should not be too hard to understand.

Jade missed out because she could've easily gotten in, had she performed well in Interview. Since she would've been "up there" - so to speak.
(edited 6 years ago)
Is this trolling?

If not, then you’re just crazy
But I get your point, however I'd just like to add that generally having a large media platform is really challenging.
You can have people hack you or etc.
I doubt they got their offer because of their ''YouTube career.'' They obviously got the grades and the PS to go with it.
Original post by erratic_deus
Unjaded Jade was rejected.
Arguably the most successful youtubers.

I really think hers was a mistake though

So true ! I feel so sorry for her :frown:
Eve Bennett got an offer for Spanish and German at LMH
Revision with eve got her offer today, and im sorry but she doesnt make the brightest most put together personal image, Holly gabrielle sounds about 200x times smarter, Ibz mo i can totally agree with tho.. Its just odd, seems like it really gives you a leg up, i mean unjaded did get to the interview! Thats no small feat in itself....
how do you know they got rejected/ got an offer. they haven't made a video yet.
Original post by COYS...TTID
Is this trolling?

If not, then you’re just crazy

A university banks on the strength of its alumni, if incoming student already has a footprint, judgement is passed, furthermore you best believe top unis look at your facebook etc.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
A university banks on the strength of its alumni, if incoming student already has a footprint, judgement is passed, furthermore you best believe top unis look at your facebook etc.

bs
Original post by RedGiant
bs

Why wouldnt they? its totally feasible. It tells you quite a bit, if your interested in someone whats the first step you take? Facebook/social media search
lol

I doubt most Oxbridge interviewers would be able to find their YouTube channels even if they matched their real names.

I doubt even more that they'd be impressed.
There seems to be a growing cohort of youtubers, who make videos about applying to oxford/cambridge and then do successfully get offers and interviews,

Is this an unfair practice ????

How is a normal human being who doesnt want to spew on about revision a level tips and proclaiming themselves with a social media following being impacted.. Should unis be making offers based on someones youtube career ???

I doubt there is a bias towards people who do youtube. If you look at it, people with a larger social media following (or even a smaller one) tend to be highly successful people in many areas of their life, so do you say this is down to their youtube success too? Or maybe its because they are very good at what they focus their minds to do and work incredibly hard in the right ways?
Why wouldnt they? its totally feasible. It tells you quite a bit, if your interested in someone whats the first step you take? Facebook/social media search

Oxbridge ATs hardly care about anything personal like youtube channels, they only care about about your intellectual abilities, and how teachable you are (i.e. whether you will benefit from the supervision/tutorial system). The ATs do not give out offers simply for the reason of the applicant vlogging their lives. And I think you might be confusing alumni (i.e. Newton and Hawking) with youtube vloggers. Not quite the same thing.

Furthermore, interviews/decision-making at Oxbridge are not job interviews.
(edited 6 years ago)
Oxbridge ATs hardly care about anything personal like youtube channels, they only care about about your intellectual abilities, and how teachable you are (i.e. whether you will benefit from the supervision/tutorial system). The ATs are not 12 year old girls, they do not give out offers simply for the reason of the applicant vlogging their lives.

That's very ageist and sexist. What makes you think a 12 year old girl can't be an AT, and what makes you think a 12 year old girl would idolise vloggers?
Original post by merlynnn
Oh wait, you're the loser from notts arent you?

rude.
This is an interesting thread. I doubt here will be bias unless the student is able to relate their youtube “career” to the degree they want to choose. I can see it being a legitimate reason. Its a platform which allows you to express your passions in life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by FriendlyPenguin
That's very ageist and sexist. What makes you think a 12 year old girl can't be an AT, and what makes you think a 12 year old girl would idolise vloggers?

The ATs are not 12 year olds, they are first class academics who are serious about their field of study. And I'm pretty sure that the majority of the vloggers like Unjaded Jade's main target audience are girls in the 12-16 year old range. That's an estimate for the parameter of their youtube audience, not being sexist. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with vlogging, but to say that Oxbridge is biased towards youtubers is quite ludicrous.

Also, not sure what world you live in, but check the statistics. Thousands of young girls heavily idolize youtube vloggers. Ever heard of "Zoella" or any others of the countless vloggers?
(edited 6 years ago)
Oxbridge ATs hardly care about anything personal like youtube channels, they only care about about your intellectual abilities, and how teachable you are (i.e. whether you will benefit from the supervision/tutorial system). The ATs do not give out offers simply for the reason of the applicant vlogging their lives. And I think you might be confusing alumni (i.e. Newton and Hawking) with youtube vloggers. Not quite the same thing.

Furthermore, interviews/decision-making at Oxbridge are not job interviews.

Just saying we dont fully understand the admissions process, and i feel it may play an unfair part.. Generally AT say they want to really meet a person through their personal statement.. What better way to get a feel for someone through their youtube channel, its likely mentioned in extra curriculars of the PS, and a 100K channel of you doing revision and coming from a low income background like revision with eve?????

Shes just checked off

Widening participation
Studious nature
Just saying we dont fully understand the admissions process, and i feel it may play an unfair part.. Generally AT say they want to really meet a person through their personal statement.. What better way to get a feel for someone through their youtube channel, its likely mentioned in extra curriculars of the PS, and a 100K channel of you doing revision and coming from a low income background like revision with eve?????

Shes just checked off

Widening participation
Studious nature

No, just no.

"What better way to get a feel for someone through their youtube channel"
Then that would seriously disadvantage the vast majority of applicants who do not have a "100K channel".

"of you doing revision and coming from a low income background like revision with eve?????"
Ummmmmmm... How do you think the vast, vast majority of successful applicants (i.e. anyone who isn't a super-genius) get A*s in their A Levels? You do not need to 'prove' you're doing revision to the ATs. And how you do know she comes from a low income background? According to that logic you might as well believe she can recall the first 10^6 prime numbers, because she said so on youtube.

Latest

Trending

Trending