The Student Room Group

Economics uni courses - oxbridge/lse

I am a year 12 student wondering about the types of courses on offer at university. I am looking at a few (oxbridge, lse, warwick, nottingham, st. andrews, durham etc.) but was wondering can your political views affect the grades or will you get ‘pigeonholed’ into types of views.
If anyone has personal experience/have heard much about please reply.
Reply 1
Original post by hamearsg
I am a year 12 student wondering about the types of courses on offer at university. I am looking at a few (oxbridge, lse, warwick, nottingham, st. andrews, durham etc.) but was wondering can your political views affect the grades or will you get ‘pigeonholed’ into types of views.
If anyone has personal experience/have heard much about please reply.

For an economics degree, no, because you do not really write essays or argue a side to something. Economics at university is very "scientific", termed positive economics as opposed to normative economics. In other words, economics provides a toolkit of analysing what will occur, not whether it is good or bad. It is your political persuasion which says whether it is good or bad.

For the most part, economics at university is applied maths. It to a large extent boils down to constrained optimisation (so calculus), and hence your political persuasion won't come into it. It's much more scientific and quantitative than the political economy discussions of Smith, Say, Marx, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending