The Student Room Group

Learning to play a guitar

I've started learning to play accoustic guitar from today, and was just wondering how long does it take to learn for a good level?
Original post by jbrdodd
I've started learning to play accoustic guitar from today, and was just wondering how long does it take to learn for a good level?

That's alike asking how long will it take for someone to learn any language to a good standard. The answer is, it's impossible to tell you how fast YOU learn.

Depends on your dexterity, how diligent and tenacious you are, how much time you can dedicate to the pursuit and whether you want to pursue this seriously (i.e. able to sight read music) or as simply as possible using tablature.

I started at the age of 12 and by 17 had reached grade 8 standard classical guitar with ABRSM. This was through practising at least 1 to 2 hours a day, playing with others in ensemble performances, open mic' evenings, with a band and purely for pleasure.

Most people who just want to play will never achieve a great standard, others will get there way sooner.

The only way you will know is when you try.
I'm learning too! My teacher said I should be ready for a couple of exams with a few more lessons in Classical as well as grade 1 in Acoustic a little further down the line. I've been learning for a couple of months now btw :P
Reply 3
Original post by wastedcuriosity
I'm learning too! My teacher said I should be ready for a couple of exams with a few more lessons in Classical as well as grade 1 in Acoustic a little further down the line. I've been learning for a couple of months now btw :P

Goodluck!
Original post by jbrdodd

Depends how you define a good level

You can learn to play most pop/rock songs by learning the chords for the songs, and you can easily do that in the first 3 months of learning.
Original post by jbrdodd
Goodluck!

You too😝
Moved to Music :smile:

Good luck with learning the guitar - it's great fun!
Depends how you define "good" and how much effort you put in.

I've been playing guitar for about 16 years but I don't put a huge amount of effort in and so people who've been playing for less than two, but put in a lot of effort, can appear much more competent.

I maintain it's never about how good you are but entirely about how much enjoyment you get from your playing. For me, I can play most things I want to be able to play so I still find it rewarding even though I rarely have dedicated practice sessions rather than jamming along to songs or writing new ones.
Reply 8
Original post by jbrdodd

It really depends on how much time you spend practising. If you practise every day for at least half an hour you're going to do an amazing progress in 2 years. But if you play once/twice a week then you'll probably never going to be good because you'll eventually stop at one point :biggrin:
It really depends on how much you're going to like it.
Original post by jbrdodd

It all depends on how interested you are and how committed you are.
Are you thinking of focusing more on strumming or finger style?
I think strumming takes less time to master but everyone is different so tell me how it goes. Generally about 2-3 months with continuous practice. Good luck:smile:
Yeah buddy as mentioned, it all depends on how much time you can put in on practise, preferably daily. Just don't get disheartened when your fingers don't do what you want them to do straight away- it'll take time. Good luck!
Original post by jbrdodd

Depends how much dedication you have and how often, and how much time you practise.

Quick Reply

Latest