The Student Room Group

reference for ucas application

I’m applying at conservatoires but don’t have anyone who I could ask that knows about my musical ability. What should I do?
Original post by kkaaaaa
I’m applying at conservatoires but don’t have anyone who I could ask that knows about my musical ability. What should I do?

Are you a self-taught musician, then?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Are you a self-taught musician, then?

pretty much, I had guitar lessons from the age of 6-8 and played in ensembles when I was younger but I've taught myself since then.
Original post by kkaaaaa
pretty much, I had guitar lessons from the age of 6-8 and played in ensembles when I was younger but I've taught myself since then.

Do you attend school or college? Could a music teacher there assess your musical ability and write a reference on that basis?
Reply 4
Do you attend school or college? Could a music teacher there assess your musical ability and write a reference on that basis?

unfortunately no as I didn’t do music at A level, depsite wanting to I opted for other courses which I regret. I do know someone who has seen me play who has a degree in music but I don’t know if I could ask him as he hasn’t tutored me or anything
Original post by kkaaaaa
unfortunately no as I didn’t do music at A level, depsite wanting to I opted for other courses which I regret. I do know someone who has seen me play who has a degree in music but I don’t know if I could ask him as he hasn’t tutored me or anything

Despite you not doing music at A level, are there any music teachers there? If so, would they be willing to assess you musical ability?
Original post by kkaaaaa

Hi,

As others have said, would there be a music teacher in your school who would be willing to assess your musical skills and then write a reference? Have you ever had music lessons? If so ask that teacher to write the reference as I know, through my brother applying to conservatoires last year, that past music teachers are also acceptable.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your application,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Reply 7
Despite you not doing music at A level, are there any music teachers there? If so, would they be willing to assess you musical ability?

I took a gap year so I'm not currently at sixth form. I don't really know who else I could ask who would meet the criteria
Reply 8
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

As others have said, would there be a music teacher in your school who would be willing to assess your musical skills and then write a reference? Have you ever had music lessons? If so ask that teacher to write the reference as I know, through my brother applying to conservatoires last year, that past music teachers are also acceptable.

I hope this is of some assistance and I wish you the best of luck with your application,

Mary
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Hi, thanks for your response. I have had a teacher back when I was 7 or 8 and I don't have his contact details anymore. I do have someone I could ask who has taught me a few pieces on the bass guitar but does the person I ask have to have a degree in music? If so, I wouldn't be able to ask him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending