The Student Room Group

Amazon is squeezing out all human labour in super markets

Amazon Go, a high-tech version of a 7-Eleven, will finally open on Monday with no checkout lines and no cashiers

Amazon Go allows customers to grab items and just walk out without stopping to pay.

https://www.recode.net/2018/1/21/16914188/amazon-go-grocery-convenience-store-opening-seattle-dilip-kumar
These evil people must be stopped from making the shopping experience more convenient and efficient.
B,b,b,b,butttttt private firms are 'job creators'. Who would have thought they were in the business of getting rid of employees.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
These evil people must be stopped from making the shopping experience more convenient and efficient.

I'm all for automating the drudge work of society. It's the communist ideal. Accelarationism for the win.

Even better would be for AI to come after middle class jobs :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I'm all for automating the drudge work of society. Accelarationism for the win.

Even better would be for AI to come after middle class jobs :biggrin:

Are you actually all for that? I'm having a hard time working out what your true position is now.

I'm sure some typically middle class jobs will be hit by AI, particularly where they involve elements of administration or use of data. I'm also sure that this process will create other, new jobs, as well as increasing efficiency in the relevant industries. Should be good, on balance.
Are you actually all for that? I'm having a hard time working out what your true position is now.

I'm sure some typically middle class jobs will be hit by AI, particularly where they involve elements of administration or use of data. I'm also sure that this process will create other, new jobs, as well as increasing efficiency in the relevant industries. Should be good, on balance.

Yes why wouldn't I? I veiw proleterian/precariet jobs as fundemantally opressive. Automate them and we don't have to do them or can spend less time doing them. I want to live in The Culture dammit (these books radicalised me at uni XD). Science fiction was my Das Captial.

YOu have a really botched undertanding of leftist anti-capatalist materialism if you think we hate technolgical progress.

The problem comes from how the rewards of the productivity gains of techological development are shared out. The reason I am left wing is due to comiong to the realisation that all the science and technology we have was not being used in a way that was focused on humanist values. I want the future Keynes promised. Not this precariouse dystopia. I want to live in Star Trek, not The Matrix.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes why wouldn't I? I veiw proleterian/precariet jobs as fundemantally opressive. Automate them and we don't have to do them or can spend less time doing them.

YOu have a really botched undertanding of leftist materialism if you think we hate technolgical progress.

The problem comes from how the rewards of the productivity gain are shared out. The reason I am left wing is due to comiong to the realisation that all the science and technology we have was not being used in a way that was focused on humanist values. I want the future Keynes promised. Not this precariouse dystopia.

Well, your use of the term 'squeezing out' in the title doesn't really suggest wild enthusiasm.

I'll admit that my understanding of your personal worldview has its limits, whatever label you happen to put on it :dontknow:
Well, your use of the term 'squeezing out' in the title doesn't really suggest wild enthusiasm.

I'll admit that my understanding of your personal worldview has its limits, whatever label you happen to put on it :dontknow:

Well in the current context of neoliberal capatalism automisation fo your job is something to be fearful about.

My worldview is that technology, with the advent of the industrial revolution, is the only way for humanity to escape the god awful trap we fell into with the development of agriculture. Capatalism provides and opening to the escape, but on its own can be just as opressive as anything else. If not more so. We need to harness what it has created and put it to better use.
(edited 6 years ago)
Capitalism - The ability and practice to make profit by capitalising on other people's weaknesses.
We live in a western capitalist society, Amazon are doing what they can to make profit, if you have a problem with this then you are anti-capitalist.
Original post by ThEpOLiTiCaLgUy
Capitalism - The ability and practice to make profit by capitalising on other people's weaknesses.
We live in a western capitalist society, Amazon are doing what they can to make profit, if you have a problem with this then you are anti-capitalist.

Well done for putting two and two together.

anti-capatalist =/= anti-technology
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
I cant imagine this doing much damage to Waitrose...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending