The Student Room Group

Human Sciences applicants 2024

Hiii, Just trying to talk with other applicants for the Human sciences course (entry 2024) so we can help each other in the application process :smile:))
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by lilorain
Hiii, Just trying to talk with other applicants for the Human sciences course (entry 2024) so we can help each other in the application process :smile:))

Hiya!! I’ve recently been looking into doing human sciences aswell (originally i was looking at doing psych but still unsure)!! Could I ask what a levels you do?? Im a little scared because my top Uni choice is UCL but the course says bio is preferred (but I take maths psych and geo) so i’m not sure how disadvantaged I will be. What Unis are you looking to apply for? :smile:
Reply 2
Hey omg, human scientists are so few and far between its nice to find someone else who’s also interested in the course! I have the same worries as you dw I take Maths, Economics and English lit for A-level and worry that applying without bio will put me at a disadvantage so I emailed the UCL admissions team and they said “Applicants who are studying Biology are considered more competitive, however, many candidates who have a different science subject are successful in receiving an offer” So not having biology isn’t a reason to not apply, but yea maybe our predicted grades,personal statements and references will have to be quite good and stand out? idk. What other unis are you thinking of applying to also what predicted grades are you hoping for ? :smile:
Hey omg, human scientists are so few and far between its nice to find someone else who’s also interested in the course! I have the same worries as you dw I take Maths, Economics and English lit for A-level and worry that applying without bio will put me at a disadvantage so I emailed the UCL admissions team and they said “Applicants who are studying Biology are considered more competitive, however, many candidates who have a different science subject are successful in receiving an offer” So not having biology isn’t a reason to not apply, but yea maybe our predicted grades,personal statements and references will have to be quite good and stand out? idk. What other unis are you thinking of applying to also what predicted grades are you hoping for ? :smile:

Ahhh yess, I feel like not too many people know about human sciences!! Glad to know someone else is in the same position. I got A*A*A* in my recent mocks, so those are hopefully the grades I will be applying with. Are you 100% set on the course? The only Unis which offer it (that I would consider going to) are Oxford, UCL and Exeter, but the Exeter course is not really to my liking as it’s abit too human geography ish for me- So im a little stuck as id only apply to the course at two Unis! I’m heavily thinking of applying to psych instead, but have no idea what i’d do post grad. It’s so hard to choose..
Reply 4
Wow those grades are amazing well done! Very fair it could be difficult writing a perosnal statment for it as well if it’s not all your choices whereas for psychology there are so many options. I am almost 100% set on the course tbh, I can’t see myself doing anything else. I get what you mean about Exeter course it is quite geographical but i do think the field work it involves would be cool. Ik that Birmingham also offer the course and I quite like their version of it. Durham and sheffield also offer a course in Health and Human Sciences which is only slightly different. Have you looked at doing anthropology ( or any Biosciences) ?
Wow those grades are amazing well done! Very fair it could be difficult writing a perosnal statment for it as well if it’s not all your choices whereas for psychology there are so many options. I am almost 100% set on the course tbh, I can’t see myself doing anything else. I get what you mean about Exeter course it is quite geographical but i do think the field work it involves would be cool. Ik that Birmingham also offer the course and I quite like their version of it. Durham and sheffield also offer a course in Health and Human Sciences which is only slightly different. Have you looked at doing anthropology ( or any Biosciences) ?

Thank youu!!! Ah Im so conflicted, I do feel like human sciences would be so interesting as it combines such a range of disciplines. Do you have any ideas of what you’d want to do after graduating?? I haven’t actually considered anthropology, and for biosciences are there any that dont require bio a level?? I do think I would opt for a more sciencey or mathematical linked degree though (but not straight STEM!!)
Reply 6
Aha dw you have so much time. I haven’t really thought about that to be honest, I just know i don’t want to do any further education after my undergrad atp. Hmmm I think there maybe some but it’s difficult to find, are you interested in any allied healthcare careers ? I get you, i guess your a level choices make it a bit more difficult to dive into STEM-ish degrees, same problem i’m having. I’m almost regretting not taking biology a level but also not aha.
Aha dw you have so much time. I haven’t really thought about that to be honest, I just know i don’t want to do any further education after my undergrad atp. Hmmm I think there maybe some but it’s difficult to find, are you interested in any allied healthcare careers ? I get you, i guess your a level choices make it a bit more difficult to dive into STEM-ish degrees, same problem i’m having. I’m almost regretting not taking biology a level but also not aha.

Omg I am the same with bio- I do think it would’ve been super useful, but if I actually think about it I feel like my grades would be a lot lower if I took it, as maths is enough STEM for me lol (mechanics is a pain atm). I’m sure you will have a good set of career options afterwards even if you’re not sure what to go into !! Honestly I don’t think the subject itself it too important either (unless for fields like med etc), as most jobs just require a degree, not a specific subject, so doing what you’d enjoy is the best choice :smile: Im still battling between human sciences and psych because Im super interested in cognitive neuroscience, so if opted for psych I could pursue a masters in the field- but if not, im not opposed to trying out something tech, accountancy or marketing related?!
Reply 8
No literally same, I feel i would find the maths biology combination too difficult and not enough variation. Mechanics is killing me too aha I’m it’s number 1 hager lol. I get what you mean, there are so many career options that come from just a degree nowadays, we’re lucky it gives us more scope for choice. Have you considered neuroscience? My sister does it and loves it it’s like a cross between biology and psychology , hmmm you might need bio a level for it tho. If you’re also interested in tech,accountancy or marketing i say just keep on searching you have time don’t worry !
Reply 9
Hi! Is anybody else conflicted between medicine and human sciences?
Reply 10
Hey! Not between medicine and human sciences, but for me it’s between biomed and human sciences!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending