The Student Room Group

History vs Geography GCSE

Hi everyone,
I’m in Year 8 and just about to take my options but I’m struggling on which subject to take between History or Geography. I’ve always wanted to take History since I was little but my Dad really wants me to take Geography and I’ve heard that History is really hard. Which one would you think that I would benefit from, enjoy more and get better marks in, I’m currently getting higher marks in Geography but not by much, I’m also struggling whether to take Spanish or not, I had a bad teacher this year so didn’t learn much which is why I’m reconsidering. Please help me, thanks.😄
I think that you should Spanish because unless you are going to use Geography or History for your future career there’s is no point in taking it.
Spanish can be used for all different job aspects; making conversations, extended writing and employers look for people with a language even if your job has nothing to do with that language.
This is because, it proves you can work hard on a new subject, and will get a job done.
Reply 2
Original post by spidgetfinner7
I think that you should Spanish because unless you are going to use Geography or History for your future career there’s is no point in taking it.
Spanish can be used for all different job aspects; making conversations, extended writing and employers look for people with a language even if your job has nothing to do with that language.
This is because, it proves you can work hard on a new subject, and will get a job done.

Thank you however my school does Ebacc and I need to take either History or Geography, I don’t plan on using either in my future career. What do you think?
Well I think you should take History if you enjoy writing lots and lots, or Geography is you enjoy writing a bit, and as you said you are getting slightly better grades in Geography. Spanish and Geography are a good pair of options to take. As I am thinking of taking them both also.
Reply 4
Original post by spidgetfinner7
Well I think you should take History if you enjoy writing lots and lots, or Geography is you enjoy writing a bit, and as you said you are getting slightly better grades in Geography. Spanish and Geography are a good pair of options to take. As I am thinking of taking them both also.

Thank you so much, that has helped a lot.
Original post by kristimia_
Hi everyone,
I’m in Year 8 and just about to take my options but I’m struggling on which subject to take between History or Geography. I’ve always wanted to take History since I was little but my Dad really wants me to take Geography and I’ve heard that History is really hard. Which one would you think that I would benefit from, enjoy more and get better marks in, I’m currently getting higher marks in Geography but not by much, I’m also struggling whether to take Spanish or not, I had a bad teacher this year so didn’t learn much which is why I’m reconsidering. Please help me, thanks.😄

Do what you enjoy and not what anyone else wants you to do. If you enjoy history, it's difficult by interesting and worth it. Geography, on the other hand, may be easier but generally notas interesting. It depends what you want to do when you're older. For things like law, I'd go for history as it is a lot of essay writing, it spends whether memorizing facts and essay writing suit you more, geography is less of that and more drawing and case studies, though it does still involve essay writing. They both contribute towards the ebacc either way, which, as you've said, is compulsory at your school. History is more highly reagrded by universities though they are both highly regarded. Personally I'd say history, but it's up to you!😀 I'd recommend doing Spanish as it is useful and the third most spoken language in the world, and seems very easy. Employers like linguistic skills but it depends whether you enjoy it or not. Good luck!😁
Reply 6
Original post by Purplemonkeys
Do what you enjoy and not what anyone else wants you to do. If you enjoy history, it's difficult by interesting and worth it. Geography, on the other hand, may be easier but generally notas interesting. It depends what you want to do when you're older. For things like law, I'd go for history as it is a lot of essay writing, it spends whether memorizing facts and essay writing suit you more, geography is less of that and more drawing and case studies, though it does still involve essay writing. They both contribute towards the ebacc either way, which, as you've said, is compulsory at your school. History is more highly reagrded by universities though they are both highly regarded. Personally I'd say history, but it's up to you!😀 I'd recommend doing Spanish as it is useful and the third most spoken language in the world, and seems very easy. Employers like linguistic skills but it depends whether you enjoy it or not. Good luck!😁

Thanks! This is just what I needed to hear.
Original post by kristimia_
Thanks! This is just what I needed to hear.

You're welcome, which is your heart telling you to do?
Reply 8
Original post by Purplemonkeys
You're welcome, which is your heart telling you to do?

It was always History.

Quick Reply

Latest