The Student Room Group

Theresa May defends Saudi Ties, while Crown prince visits UK

Ah... Saudi Arabia, not only do they have the worst human rights record in the entire world but they continue to bomb innocent women and children in Yemen every single day and refuse to acknowledge their atrocious crimes.

Yet we have leaders (Donald Trump & Theresa May) who lick their soggy oily buts and fail to condone the actions of Saudi Arabia. You would surely expect Theresa May to distance herself from the undemocratic extremists ,who are the heads of Saudi Arabia, after a deemed public outcry but she welcomes in the man, who is in charge of it all with arms welcome to eat lunch with the queen.

Has their ever been a funnier joke than that of Theresa May?

LONDON (Reuters) - Prime Minister Theresa May defended Britain’s links to security ally Saudi Arabia on Wednesday, as Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman met Queen Elizabeth for lunch on a high profile to London that has drawn protests over Riyadh’s human rights record.A fiery exchange in parliament between May and opposition Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn underlined tension in Britain over the trip, which is aimed at building a broader economic partnership between the two countries, but has sparked protests about human rights and the war in Yemen.May later met Prince Mohammed, extending a warm diplomatic welcome to the conservative kingdom’s heir apparent.

Britain is looking for trading partners as it exits the European Union, and energy powerhouse Saudi Arabia needs to convince sceptical investors about its domestic reforms.

But demonstrators gathered outside May’s office to protest both countries’ roles in Yemen where war has killed an estimated 10,000 people.

“I don’t believe that someone like Mohammed bin Salman should be welcomed in Britain,” said Hassan Yassine, a 25-year-old customer service worker from London. “It is definitely not ethical, bearing in mind what is going on in Yemen every single day, every single second, even as we speak.”

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-saudi/may-defends-saudi-ties-as-crown-prince-gets-royal-welcome-in-london-idUKKCN1GI2ZM
(edited 6 years ago)
Well what's a bigger crime, a few dead kids or all those lovely weapons we make sitting unsold in a warehouse, never getting a chance to fulfill their destiny?

Sseriously, the BBC were interviewing some political pundits on the issue today and one of them defended the UK's continued weapon sales to a state responsible for one of the greatest humanitarian crises happening today because not doing so would cost jobs in the UK arms industry. I thought it was satire the first time I heard it.
The MSM is already falling over its feet to inform us of how "progressive" the prince is, since women can now drive.

:rolleyes:
Sounds about right.
Lots of the press have pro Suadi adverts bought by the regime. Corporate Meida cares not about the poeple of Yemen.

I don't think it's a good idea joking about something so serious.

Sseriously, the BBC were interviewing some political pundits on the issue today and one of them defended the UK's continued weapon sales to a state responsible for one of the greatest humanitarian crises happening today because not doing so would cost jobs in the UK arms industry. I thought it was satire the first time I heard it.

That's the problem these people would justify funding and selling arms to a murdering state on the basis of a few expired jobs.

Original post by TCA2b
The MSM is already falling over its feet to inform us of how "progressive" the prince is, since women can now drive.

:rolleyes:

It was well overdue and I struggle to understand how legalising female driving is progressive, just shows the bias in the Mainstream Media. If they stopped stoning gay people maybe we can start to label them as progressive
Reply 6
So the lesson on this is you can abuse and massacre who ever you want - so long as you bribe perfidious albion with lucrative arms contracts.
Reply 7
Remember that every day innocent Syrians are killed due to American air strikes.
Reply 8
It’s much more complex that just “Saudi bombing Yemen”. You people fail to see the long run effects of Saudi intervention in Yemen. At the end of the day the Saudis defend the Yemeni government from the terrorist houthi rebels who will commit a much greater atrocity as soon as they get the chance to i.e. Sunni genocide just like the shi’ites had done in Iran. One must do what they must to defend the middle eastern region from becoming a bunch of Iranian puppets who fail at any type of diplomacy with the world and only look to destroy.
Original post by SNA5RI8
Remember that every day innocent Syrians are killed due to American air strikes.

How is that relevant to the current situation?
I am not in defence of the strikes taking place in the Middle East.

Original post by MSheikk
It’s much more complex that just “Saudi bombing Yemen”. You people fail to see the long run effects of Saudi intervention in Yemen.

But it is, Saudi Arabia are bombing Yemen and in doing so killing thousands of innocent women and children. The long term effects?

Maybe, a country with instability abdyears of fighting simple solution to the problem Would be diplomacy. Something Saudi Arabia doesn't understand.

At the end of the day the Saudis defend the Yemeni government from the terrorist houthi rebels who will commit a much greater atrocity as soon as they get the chance to i.e. Sunni genocide just like the shi’ites had done in Iran. One must do what they must to defend the middle eastern region from becoming a bunch of Iranian puppets who fail at any type of diplomacy with the world and only look to destroy.

I agree the houthis are terrorists and seeing them in power would result in chaos but your argument is full of holes. You claim you don't what the middle east to become "Iranian puppets" but you wan't it them to be Saudi Arabian puppets.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by MSheikk
It’s much more complex that just “Saudi bombing Yemen”. You people fail to see the long run effects of Saudi intervention in Yemen. At the end of the day the Saudis defend the Yemeni government from the terrorist houthi rebels who will commit a much greater atrocity as soon as they get the chance to i.e. Sunni genocide just like the shi’ites had done in Iran. One must do what they must to defend the middle eastern region from becoming a bunch of Iranian puppets who fail at any type of diplomacy with the world and only look to destroy.

Indeed it is - The revolting house of Saud is also petrified of the Shiites in itheir own country rising up to toss off the shackles of Sunni oppression, oh and dont forget them along with the Emirates have been busy seizing ports in Yemen most likely to reconstitute some ancient trade routes.

Oh yeah like the Yemeni government were any better than the Houthis :rolleyes:

A sunni genocide? Oh what a load of tosh.
Last time I checked it was Sunni groups of terrorists slaughtering all in Iraq, not to mention their various attempts to wipe out the Shiites there in the past.

Are you honestly trying to say that Saudi Arabia is somehow better than Iran? Pfft.
You people need to come out of your safe spaces more often, your lack of understanding of the real world is painful to watch and what makes you dangerous. This idea that we should invite other countries' leaders just to lecture them on what they should do in their countries could only come from the totalitarian and dictatorial brigade itself, just another spasm of the totalitarian mindset that would like to make the world dance to its tune. Get over it, the Empire has gone forever.
Original post by zhog
You people need to come out of your safe spaces more often, your lack of understanding of the real world is painful to watch and what makes you dangerous. This idea that we should invite other countries' leaders just to lecture them on what they should do in their countries could only come from the totalitarian and dictatorial brigade itself, just another spasm of the totalitarian mindset that would like to make the world dance to its tune. Get over it, the Empire has gone forever.

Lecturing someone on human rights abuses, funding terrorism and running an authoritarian state is considered totalitarian and dictatorial? That's the most uneducated drivel I've heard all day.
Original post by zhog

It's the hypocrisy I find amusing. Trump's election brings people onto the streets far and wide whilst a relative handful act in kind towards a leader of a brutal and nepotistic regime.
I think it's disgraceful that the British government is behaving like this.

Missing opportunities to sell guns to both sides is unforgivable. Think of the lost profits and how long this war could have lasted with a better strategy in place.
Original post by Sulfolobus
Lecturing someone on human rights abuses, funding terrorism and running an authoritarian state is considered totalitarian and dictatorial? That's the most uneducated drivel I've heard all day.

He's like a buzz word generator.
Original post by Sulfolobus

That's the idealistic approach, then there is the real world. If we are to be so touchy about his visit, why invite him in the first place? You brush aside the point of his visit as if it didn't matter, all that matters is your gratuitous virtue-signalling from the clouds.

It is so plainly obvious that you don't invite someone round for a business lunch (the whole point of the visit, really) to preach morals to them that it would be easier to explain it to a toddler than to you. Jezza would have to welcome him with open arms as PM and bear it with a grin. You don't understand the world and how it works, despite your sophisticated education.

Nothing wrong with people opposing the visit or questioning the timing but agitating for a list of issues for the PM to relay and then attacking her for not making it the point of the visit is just that... political agitating of the cheapest variety. Just another excuse to make the PM look like she doesn't care about human rights, so unlike the honourable member opposite. Bah...

In the real world, you could tell him all you want to his face and nothing at all would be gained from it. Absolutely nothing, it is delusional to think the UK could influence what is going on in Yemen or in Saudi society. Forget the listing of Aramco, among so many more inconveniences from the ground level. Go sell it to the people making stuff we sell to them. Get real.
(edited 6 years ago)
Saudi Arabia is the single biggest exporter of Jihadism and yet they are supposedly "our" "allies" in the region.
Next week, Theresa May is meeting with the Devil. She has praised the Devil for his ambition and energetic leadership and hopes Britain will be able to do business with him. "Apart from having all the best tunes, the Devil still needs regular purchases of heated tools, flaming cauldrons, accountancy services, legal assistance and other evils" said a government spokesperson. Britain plans to boost weapons sales to the Devil and in the meantime to ignore his tendency to start wars, murder and mayhem, as these things mostly occur in remote locations such as the Yemen, Syria, Brussels and London.

The Devil is said to be delighted to be visiting Britain again and will see about buying up some interesting properties whilst he is up here from Hell. He enjoys large mansions in the country, staffed by slave workers and a visit to Harrods, where he is always made very welcome.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending