The Student Room Group

I’m pathetic

I have had a crush/ obsession with a certain friend for the last few months- to the point where sometimes I get upset. I don’t want to date anyone and don’t have crushes on anyone else. This friend has shown interest in me and we nearly slept together the last time we saw each other but I held back and deeply regret it. I really want to get over them and have considered cutting ties because it’s not healthy.

I have never felt like this before, to the point of feeling crazy about the friend. I genuinely cannot get past this. To be fair to the friend she hasn’t reached out by text to me, she rarely replies to my stories but is always the first to see them (I don’t believe that means much though). Anyone else that flirts with me just makes me disinterested, and I compare them to her. I know she probably doesn’t care that much about me, I’m on her close friend story and see her doing stuff that makes me jealous?

So- should I just cut ties and try not to talk to her for a while?
Reply 1
Said friend probably doesn't even know that it makes you jealous, if you feel you're interested ask them. Even if you don't ask them you'll do the mental gymnastics to avoid being around them regardless. If you're interested in them, make it apparent. The least that can happen is you leave-- which if I weren't mistaken would've been the outcome anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by omnicast
Said friend probably doesn't even know that it makes you jealous, if you feel you're interested ask them. Even if you don't ask them you'll do the mental gymnastics to avoid being around them regardless. If you're interested in them, make it apparent. The least that can happen is you leave-- which if I weren't mistaken would've been the outcome anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I’m a very closed off person with emotions so literally no one really knows how I feel ever. It feels really scary to open up like that…I know it’s my own fault though
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for the advice. I’m a very closed off person with emotions so literally no one really knows how I feel ever. It feels really scary to open up like that…I know it’s my own fault though

Relatable, I'm just very autistic so people see right through me even when I'm trying to be like that.
Reply 4
Relatable, I'm just very autistic so people see right through me even when I'm trying to be like that.

It’s a big struggle 🫠
I come close to admitting feelings but then think “oh no what if they reject me and I look stupid/ crazy”
Reply 5
It’s a big struggle 🫠
I come close to admitting feelings but then think “oh no what if they reject me and I look stupid/ crazy”

Be realistic though, really who cares? These are superfluous emotions, the fear of rejection is the lack thereof attempt and it's sad to see them go amiss.
Reply 6
Be realistic though, really who cares? These are superfluous emotions, the fear of rejection is the lack thereof attempt and it's sad to see them go amiss.

Thank you, that’s a new perspective for me to look through :smile:
Reply 7
Thank you, that’s a new perspective for me to look through :smile:

Keep that crown up, King
1. You aren't pathetic

2. Well done for typing this out.

3. My advice would to think about what you want to happen. I can see three possible options:
A - you want to deffo keep him as a friend, with the potential that these feelings with knag away at you on an ongoing basis.
B - you want to try a relationship with him
C - you want to avoid him and sever ties completely

If it were me, I would go for plan B, and if plan B didn't work it would automatically go to C. Plan A is maintaining the status quo which clearly isn't working out so far. It may pass, but we have no crystal ball.
Reply 9
Original post by 04MR17
1. You aren't pathetic

2. Well done for typing this out.

3. My advice would to think about what you want to happen. I can see three possible options:
A - you want to deffo keep him as a friend, with the potential that these feelings with knag away at you on an ongoing basis.
B - you want to try a relationship with him
C - you want to avoid him and sever ties completely

If it were me, I would go for plan B, and if plan B didn't work it would automatically go to C. Plan A is maintaining the status quo which clearly isn't working out so far. It may pass, but we have no crystal ball.

Thank you for your advice, I honestly hope that when I next see my friend I’ll be able to tell them how I feel. I moved far away from where the friend lives so I could avoid them completely if I needed to. I honestly think I’ve learned my lesson about not telling your true feelings, causes me more pain in the long run

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending