This discussion is closed.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lemur14)
This is the AS maths new spec exam thread yep
New spec full A level has it's own exam threads (pure 1, pure 2 and applied)
Wait so the exams i have would be in june and internal?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Lemur14
  • Volunteer Section Leader
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner)
Wait so the exams i have would be in june and internal?
Not quite sure what you mean? Many schools do choose to do internal exams instead of taking ASs in year 12 and they can be scheduled at any time they choose (although usually not in exam season itself as this can disrupt the year 13s doing exams)
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not quite sure what you mean? Many schools do choose to do internal exams instead of taking ASs in year 12 and they can be scheduled at any time they choose (although usually not in exam season itself as this can disrupt the year 13s doing exams)
But are they external?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Lemur14
Rep:
?
But are they external?
These are the threads for the external exams yes If you're only doing AS maths and your school exam is in June then it will be internal.
Rolls_Reus_0wner
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
These are the threads for the external exams yes If you're only doing AS maths and your school exam is in June then it will be internal.
im doing the full thing hopefully. yh tht means externals at june
Lemur14
Rep:
?
im doing the full thing hopefully. yh tht means externals at june
The full thing is external in June then Your exam threads are linked in my post above
PJU
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is a video tutorial for the 8MA0/01 Pure 1 Paper available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpp5JGvqTqA
meryemulgur
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am not sure how i should be revising or if my revision is effective. I have been going through the textbook and revising areas I havent understood. I have been doing the questions in the book especially the E's and the P's but I am still struggling in the mocks. HELP
Lemur14
Rep:
?
(Original post by meryemulgur)
I am not sure how i should be revising or if my revision is effective. I have been going through the textbook and revising areas I havent understood. I have been doing the questions in the book especially the E's and the P's but I am still struggling in the mocks. HELP
Really as you say it's a case of lots of questions. What are the Es and the Ps?
What specifically are you struggling with?
meryemulgur
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Really as you say it's a case of lots of questions. What are the Es and the Ps?
What specifically are you struggling with?
Mainly proofs in pure and mechanics in general 😫 the E’s are the exam practice questions in the book they’re in most of the exercises and mostly in the mixed exercises . The p’s are the practice questions that guide you with the exam practice questions .
Lemur14
Rep:
?
(Original post by meryemulgur)
Mainly proofs in pure and mechanics in general 😫 the E’s are the exam practice questions in the book they’re in most of the exercises and mostly in the mixed exercises . The p’s are the practice questions that guide you with the exam practice questions .
Argh replied to this and then TSR swallowed it :grumble:
Proofs as I'm sure you know there's 3 types. Do you understand proof by exhaustion and contradiction?
Algebraic proofs there's often small tricks to spot (also knowing a few useful things like a^2+b^2=(a+b)^2-2ab is always good) but apart from that it's a case of working through trying to see what you can prove (and it's usually only around 4 marks anyway so it's not too bad if you can't do it)
Can totally relate to that with mechanics...I really struggled with it to begin with, but after 7 million and one questions (okay not quite that many, but since I hate mechanics it seemed like that many ) you begin to see the patterns between the questions and how to approach them. If you have any specific questions, you could ask in the mechanics discussion thread
Ahh makes sense now!
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi does anyone here find the new spec to be harder than the old spec. I get way higher on C2 papers than I have done on new spec material but hopefully boundaries will account for that if that is the general pattern. Is anyone taking the full a level as well this year?
nyxnko_
  • Study Forum Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bigpaddy27)
Hi does anyone here find the new spec to be harder than the old spec. I get way higher on C2 papers than I have done on new spec material but hopefully boundaries will account for that if that is the general pattern. Is anyone taking the full a level as well this year?
I think you're part of the majority here! The new spec is designed to be more focused on problem-solving, which unfortunately means that a lot of our exam questions will be context based. Personally, I think grade boundaries will be slightly lower (like a lot lower) but that's just my personal opinion and has no basis. As for taking the full a-level this year, I'm only taking the AS this year but I do have a friend who is taking the full a-level this year. As to how she's finding it, I haven't asked. :dontknow:
Greenapplepear
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Has everyone done your mocks yet? If so, what did u guys think of it and what sort of grade boundaries did your schools use?
Lemur14
Rep:
?
(Original post by Greenapplepear)
Has everyone done your mocks yet? If so, what did u guys think of it and what sort of grade boundaries did your schools use?
We did mocks in February, grade boundaries were set based on our attainment (eg. Has probably increased since then). The A boundary was 70, then I think it was B-56 and C-47 but I might be misremembering!
I'm expecting them to increase maybe 10/15 from that in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nyxnko_
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Greenapplepear)
We just did mocks a few weeks ago using the new specimen papers. Overall, everyone did pretty badly in applied and their pure papers were better but my school set the grade boundaries at 75% for an A and then 10% for every grade after that.
Bigpaddy27
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by nyxnko_)
We just did mocks a few weeks ago using the new specimen papers. Overall, everyone did pretty badly in applied and their pure papers were better but my school set the grade boundaries at 75% for an A and then 10% for every grade after that.
Did your papers resemble the text book questions as the mocks I have been given held little comparison.
nyxnko_
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bigpaddy27)
Did your papers resemble the text book questions as the mocks I have been given held little comparison.
Honestly, the Applied paper was bad. I just completely bombed that one but I think the Pure paper was pretty good.
As for whether they're like the textbook questions, not really. There's a LOT more problem-solving involved and given that the textbook questions are mainly taken from old spec textbooks, I imagine the real exam will likely be more similar to your mock papers than the textbook questions.
If you would like some more practice with 'harder' questions, Crash Maths make some pretty cool papers that are quite different from your textbook questions so I guess it wouldn't hurt to practise those if you feel you want something more challenging.
brownanya122
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Agh I'm practically the only person doing this exam from my school (there's one other) and my school haven't given us any formal mocks! Luckily they gave us loads of practice papers but I'm not so confident, especially as I've self taught the end of the specification :eek:
nyxnko_
  • Study Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by brownanya122)
Agh I'm practically the only person doing this exam from my school (there's one other) and my school haven't given us any formal mocks! Luckily they gave us loads of practice papers but I'm not so confident, especially as I've self taught the end of the specification :eek:
Oh dear... Do you think you could get them to give you one tomorrow or in the few days before the exam? The practice is always good.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 May '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 30 May '19
  • Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 31 May '19

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (192)
22.48%
The paper was reasonable (392)
45.9%
Not feeling great about that exam... (157)
18.38%
It was TERRIBLE (113)
13.23%

Watched Threads