The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lemur14
This is the AS maths new spec exam thread yep :smile:
New spec full A level has it's own exam threads (pure 1, pure 2 and applied) :smile:

Wait so the exams i have would be in june and internal?
Original post by Rolls_Reus_0wner
Wait so the exams i have would be in june and internal?

Not quite sure what you mean? Many schools do choose to do internal exams instead of taking ASs in year 12 and they can be scheduled at any time they choose (although usually not in exam season itself as this can disrupt the year 13s doing exams)
Original post by Lemur14
Not quite sure what you mean? Many schools do choose to do internal exams instead of taking ASs in year 12 and they can be scheduled at any time they choose (although usually not in exam season itself as this can disrupt the year 13s doing exams)

But are they external?
But are they external?

These are the threads for the external exams yes :smile: If you're only doing AS maths and your school exam is in June then it will be internal.
Original post by Lemur14
These are the threads for the external exams yes :smile: If you're only doing AS maths and your school exam is in June then it will be internal.

im doing the full thing hopefully. yh tht means externals at june
im doing the full thing hopefully. yh tht means externals at june

The full thing is external in June then :smile: Your exam threads are linked in my post above :smile:
Reply 26
There is a video tutorial for the 8MA0/01 Pure 1 Paper available on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jpp5JGvqTqA
I am not sure how i should be revising or if my revision is effective. I have been going through the textbook and revising areas I havent understood. I have been doing the questions in the book especially the E's and the P's but I am still struggling in the mocks. :frown: HELP
Original post by meryemulgur
I am not sure how i should be revising or if my revision is effective. I have been going through the textbook and revising areas I havent understood. I have been doing the questions in the book especially the E's and the P's but I am still struggling in the mocks. :frown: HELP

Really as you say it's a case of lots of questions. What are the Es and the Ps?
What specifically are you struggling with?
Original post by Lemur14
Really as you say it's a case of lots of questions. What are the Es and the Ps?
What specifically are you struggling with?

Mainly proofs in pure and mechanics in general 😫 the E’s are the exam practice questions in the book they’re in most of the exercises and mostly in the mixed exercises . The p’s are the practice questions that guide you with the exam practice questions .
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by meryemulgur
Mainly proofs in pure and mechanics in general 😫 the E’s are the exam practice questions in the book they’re in most of the exercises and mostly in the mixed exercises . The p’s are the practice questions that guide you with the exam practice questions .

Argh replied to this and then TSR swallowed it :grumble:
Proofs as I'm sure you know there's 3 types. Do you understand proof by exhaustion and contradiction?
Algebraic proofs there's often small tricks to spot (also knowing a few useful things like a2+b2=(a+b)22aba^2+b^2=(a+b)^2-2ab is always good) but apart from that it's a case of working through trying to see what you can prove (and it's usually only around 4 marks anyway so it's not too bad if you can't do it)
Can totally relate to that with mechanics...I really struggled with it to begin with, but after 7 million and one questions (okay not quite that many, but since I hate mechanics it seemed like that many :redface:) you begin to see the patterns between the questions and how to approach them. If you have any specific questions, you could ask in the mechanics discussion thread :smile:
Ahh makes sense now!
I think you're part of the majority here! The new spec is designed to be more focused on problem-solving, which unfortunately means that a lot of our exam questions will be context based. Personally, I think grade boundaries will be slightly lower (like a lot lower) but that's just my personal opinion and has no basis. As for taking the full a-level this year, I'm only taking the AS this year but I do have a friend who is taking the full a-level this year. As to how she's finding it, I haven't asked. :dontknow:
Has everyone done your mocks yet? If so, what did u guys think of it and what sort of grade boundaries did your schools use?
Original post by Greenapplepear
Has everyone done your mocks yet? If so, what did u guys think of it and what sort of grade boundaries did your schools use?

We did mocks in February, grade boundaries were set based on our attainment (eg. Has probably increased since then). The A boundary was 70, then I think it was B-56 and C-47 but I might be misremembering!
I'm expecting them to increase maybe 10/15 from that in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Greenapplepear

We just did mocks a few weeks ago using the new specimen papers. Overall, everyone did pretty badly in applied and their pure papers were better but my school set the grade boundaries at 75% for an A and then 10% for every grade after that.
Honestly, the Applied paper was bad. I just completely bombed that one but I think the Pure paper was pretty good.
As for whether they're like the textbook questions, not really. There's a LOT more problem-solving involved and given that the textbook questions are mainly taken from old spec textbooks, I imagine the real exam will likely be more similar to your mock papers than the textbook questions.
If you would like some more practice with 'harder' questions, Crash Maths make some pretty cool papers that are quite different from your textbook questions so I guess it wouldn't hurt to practise those if you feel you want something more challenging.
Agh I'm practically the only person doing this exam from my school (there's one other) and my school haven't given us any formal mocks! Luckily they gave us loads of practice papers but I'm not so confident, especially as I've self taught the end of the specification :eek:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by brownanya122
Agh I'm practically the only person doing this exam from my school (there's one other) and my school haven't given us any formal mocks! Luckily they gave us loads of practice papers but I'm not so confident, especially as I've self taught the end of the specification :eek:

Oh dear... Do you think you could get them to give you one tomorrow or in the few days before the exam? The practice is always good.
Reply 38
Hello the exams this weds wish everyone luck. I am doing the old spec c1 and c2 papers for practice and specimen papers. I am also using hegarty maths exam solutions and a guy on youtube called jack brown they are very helpful
anyone fire some last weekend tough questions?

Latest

Trending

Trending