The Student Room Group

pearson edexcel further maths modules

i am going into yr 13 in September and during yr12 summer term my school told us our probable further maths module combinations. I am looking to go into chemical engineering at some top unis (not oxbridge but almost all russell group) and was wondering which combination i should do, both in terms of what will make me most prepared for uni and what will be easier to get a higher fm grade in. the combinations are Further Pure 1 & Further Mechanics 1 or Further Mechanics 1 & Further Decision 1
Original post by MiscellaneousTSR
i am going into yr 13 in September and during yr12 summer term my school told us our probable further maths module combinations. I am looking to go into chemical engineering at some top unis (not oxbridge but almost all russell group) and was wondering which combination i should do, both in terms of what will make me most prepared for uni and what will be easier to get a higher fm grade in. the combinations are Further Pure 1 & Further Mechanics 1 or Further Mechanics 1 & Further Decision 1

For the easiest combination it would be Decision and Mechanics. Decision has always been seen as the easiest and is most popular across most schools because they can get the highest grades from it. Mainly because it is a new branch if mathematics so it starts of pretty basic and it is all about remembering algorithms and then just applying them. I did Further Pure and Decision, but others in my class did mechanics and that seemed much more challenging than both decision and further pure. It’s another level on top of Alevel Maths mechanics.

In terms of being prepared for uni, the core pure modules are all you’d really need. Almost all engineering courses will start off with pure further maths alevel content including ODEs, Matrices, Vectors, Planes. But the core modules cover most of that anyway.

I’ve just completed first year of chemeng at Imperial and the maths module was pretty straight forward for all the further maths students so regardless of what combination you pick you’ll be fine. I’d recommend decision though purely because it should be easier.
Original post by MiscellaneousTSR

Depends on what you are strongest at and whether you would enjoy pure or decision more.

Whilst it is possible to be entered for more than two elective papers, I wouldn’t recommend trying this approach, since it means less time nearer your exams to revise for your other subjects.

I’d give the specification a look and get an idea of what each elective paper contains so you know what you’ll be studying and so you have a rough idea as to how appealing each one will be.
https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/A%20Level/Mathematics/2017/specification-and-sample-assesment/a-level-l3-further-mathematics-specification.pdf
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest