The Student Room Group

Can we improve the look of rep gems?

Hey Guys,

We have done a bunch of user testing recently and everyone we had in didn't understand what the rep gems where in a post due to them not being intuitive enough.

It is also difficult to see exactly how many rep gems a user has so maybe we could display this as more of a progress bar with levels. Just an idea.

Is there anything we can do to make rep stand out more and make sense to all users? I will mock up some of your ideas and add them to the thread so we can work out together how to make this feature more amazing.

XXX

Scroll to see replies

Yeah then people can easily identify the reputation of the user :smile:
Bring back rainbow gems!
Original post by Tiger Rag
Bring back rainbow gems!

Rainbow Rep sounds so amazing! Can't find a example of it anywhere but will have to have a play with this.
As a 12 gemmer I like the idea of golden gems very much, would give them a royal and majestic look :yep:
OOOOO thats a really cool idea, I don't know to much about the functionality of it so I don't see why we couldn't up it, we wouldn't have space to display 20 on mobile but maybe we could display in a different way on smaller and bigger screens :smile:
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Rainbow Rep sounds so amazing! Can't find a example of it anywhere but will have to have a play with this.

They may have been called disco gems.
PLEASE bring back gold and disco/rainbow gems!!! But don't make them a progress bar please :frown: gems are really good and I like them a lot.

Tagging @AngryJellyfish
Reply 8
Hey Guys,

We have done a bunch of user testing recently and everyone we had in didn't understand what the rep gems where in a post due to them not being intuitive enough.

It is also difficult to see exactly how many rep gems a user has so maybe we could display this as more of a progress bar with levels. Just an idea.

Is there anything we can do to make rep stand out more and make sense to all users? I will mock up some of your ideas and add them to the thread so we can work out together how to make this feature more amazing.

XXX
What?

Darker to lighter as different gem values always made sense, what are you even on about?

As for seeing how many gems someone's got, just put a divider space in between them at intervals of 3 or 5 (like numbers).
I think the number of gems like 7/12 could work really nicely especially when you skim read and on mobile. x
Hey Guys,

XXX

As always, my idea of an improvement is to go back to what we had before - five green gems, followed by five 'shiny' green gems (as we have now, but stopping at 10, not 12), followed by five gold gems (), followed by five rainbow/disco gems (). Just stick those on a second row below the green ones.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tiger Rag
They may have been called disco gems.

Original post by Paracosm
PLEASE bring back gold and disco/rainbow gems!!! But don't make them a progress bar please :frown: gems are really good and I like them a lot.

Tagging @AngryJellyfish

Thanks disco/rainbow sounds so fun! The gems are really cool I think a number or something next to them might be necessary though as they aren't very intuitive and a pain to count on smaller screens if you want to know the number of gems the user has. :smile:
I don't really like the idea of a progress bar - wouldn't it make more sense to just have the number of rep gems written as +6 rep etc at the side to make the number of rep gems clear (without having to hover over them)?

Also, I personally dislike having 5 dark green gems then the rest of them light green, it looks a bit funny to me. I would've thought dividing them into even numbers with different shades e.g. 4 dark green, 4 light green, then the last 4 a different colour (or the final 12th gem a different colour) etc would look better, but that's just my opinion :smile:
Original post by Tootles
What?

Darker to lighter as different gem values always made sense, what are you even on about?

As for seeing how many gems someone's got, just put a divider space in between them at intervals of 3 or 5 (like numbers).

Ooo a divider space could work really nicely. A lot of new members struggle to understand the rep gems and the functionality behind it so hopefully tweaking the design in some way will help.
Ooo a divider space could work really nicely. A lot of new members struggle to understand the rep gems and the functionality behind it so hopefully tweaking the design in some way will help.
So explain it better :ms:

Maybe have the hovermajig display the total rep value of a user, like how Reddit displays karma, and a link at the bottom of the bubble offering more info. The value of rep used to be in the FAQ, but I don't even know if there is still a FAQ on here.
You could make them look like actually green gems like in those old games we used to play
Problem with that is that no one would ever reach 15 or 20 gems because it simply requires too many points. Even the bear, who’s been a member for over 10 years would only recently have reached his 13th gem if it existed (100,000 rep points). He’d then need a whole other lifetime to get to 200,000. So maybe if we want 15–20 gems the point system would have to be lowered?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Looks fine as is. Don't think there needs to be a change of colour or style.
Perhaps just 'Level x' instead of x number of gems if you really want to make it clearer and more of a hierarchy for whatever reason. e.g. Level 8 instead of 8 gems.
Don't think it's necessary though, don't really care how many gems someone has.
@CrazyKittenLady I'm not keen on the numbers idea, have to be honest. I know if you hover over the gems you get told the value (i.e. +12), so perhaps this could be integrated into the hovering (?) modal?
Original post by Tootles
So explain it better :ms:

Maybe have the hovermajig display the total rep value of a user, like how Reddit displays karma, and a link at the bottom of the bubble offering more info. The value of rep used to be in the FAQ, but I don't even know if there is still a FAQ on here.

It's still there, but to say it's buried is an understatement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending