The Student Room Group

What is TSR?

Hello, I am new to these forum type of things, what should I expect here?
Reply 1
I like to think it's everything you could ever want :biggrin:
On a more serious note haha, it's basically an all-purpose forum designed (as the name suggests) for students, generally secondary school to university. There's a lot of different forums, with many different 'sub-forums': for example, in the 'Study Help' forum there are forums for GCSEs, A-levels, etc. There are forums for mental health, general health, university, careers (as well as apprenticeships), homework questions, and basically everything you could think of.

When posting a question, the algorithm will generally place it into the forum it thinks it fits best, and from there you just get replies. There are also some dedicated volunteers for specific forums, or for specific things (e.g. Personal Statement advisors).

Next to your profile, you'll see a number of orange or green 'lines' for want of a better word. These are rep gems, because generally after you get a satisfactory answer to your question (or several, though you can only give rep to a few people a day), you click that thumbs-up button on the bottom left of their post. These reputation points are added to your account, and as you reach certain checkpoints you'll get more lines (gems), up to 12. People who have more gems will give you more reputation points if they give you a thumbs up, e.g. a new-joiner will have 1 gem so they'll only give 1 reputation point per thumbs-up. Someone with 5 gems will give 5 reputation points.
You'll often see the line 'PRSOM' if you stick around, which basically stands for 'Please Rate Some Other Member'. That's because (to prevent abuse of the system), you can only give someone a thumbs-up if you've not done so recently, so you'll put that there to encourage others to rep their posts.

Like other social media sites, there's a Private Message (PM) system to contact specific members.

While TSR's generally for questions, you'll also find plenty of events going on, like the Bear's daily pun thread, or even just people wanting a chat (in the aptly named chat forum haha).

Again similar to other forums, you can 'Watch' threads (like this one), by clicking the button at the top of the OP's (original poster), and get notifications when others post (useful if you want to see any answers).

All in all, TSR is in essence an advice forum, but with a large community. I realise this may be a big answer haha, for which I apologise, but hopefully this is a full and unabridged guide to the TSR! Best wishes :biggrin:
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest