The Student Room Group

Can we improve the look of rep gems?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Assassin
Back in the day, neg reps, which were red, were caused by people negging (thumbs down) onto the forum. These helped single out the bad posters who didn't contribute positively to the forum aside from comedic purposes. These included the likes of Dalek, im so academic and Bakmouth, and helped other users remain wary or keep caution in front of these people, so as to avoid wasting time.

So why was the negative rep taken down? From what you have said it did a good job of singling out those whos post werent needed
Original post by TheGirlFelonXxXx
So why was the negative rep taken down? From what you have said it did a good job of singling out those whos post werent needed

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2490492

Because it's negative and bullying, apparently. It meant people were afraid to post what they really felt.
Original post by Drewski
Because it's negative and bullying, apparently. It meant people were afraid to post what they really felt.

I have a feeling that you disagreed at the time

Thanks
Really? rep wars, how did that even work

That would be an accurate assessment.

Some trolls prided on getting negs and displayed it as a badge of honour.
Reply 87
Original post by CrazyKittenLady
Hey Guys,

We have done a bunch of user testing recently and everyone we had in didn't understand what the rep gems where in a post due to them not being intuitive enough.

It is also difficult to see exactly how many rep gems a user has so maybe we could display this as more of a progress bar with levels. Just an idea.

Is there anything we can do to make rep stand out more and make sense to all users? I will mock up some of your ideas and add them to the thread so we can work out together how to make this feature more amazing.

XXX

How about letting users choose their own colour, with access to certain colours depending on their rep level?

Not only can users choose to stay with the default green to lime gems, they can choose another colour out of a certain set of them, which makes the first 5 gems that colour, and the gems after that a lighter version of the colour, just like the green to lime rep gems we have now.

And for progessingly higher numbers of gems, users can unlock new colors to theme the gems with (with the most popular and cool-looking colours require a higher amount of gems), and maybe, with the users with around 9-11 gems gaining access to the colours of precious metals (and stones maybe? eg. sapphire) with patterning included, like bronze and silver, and the highest amount of gems (12) gaining access to the gold (and maybe diamond) theming of their gems. The colours available shouldn't be too bright though - it can be distracting and potentially unpleasant to some.

However in my opinion, there should be a far larger restriction of colours for lower rep users (the amount of colours unlocked for every rep gem (and maybe the frequency of when colours are unlocked) should be roughly exponential eg. 0,0,0,0,1,1,1,2,2,2,2,3), to further encourage them to post higher quality advice or general comments. Another reason is to make all the colours of gem rows of different users presented on a thread less jarring in a way: since there are far more lower rep users, if there is a varied assortment of colours for them, more likely than not more users will have wildly different colours and on threads, the constant contrast of colours between users can be distracting.

If you are ready and willing to test this, you can just post images of what different coloured gem rows would look like, you can leave out the precious stone and gem colours and patterning if you want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
That would be an accurate assessment.

Would you think it would be beneficial if the negative reps were bought back?
Original post by S-man10
Some trolls prided on getting negs and displayed it as a badge of honour.

Ah because the gems would come up as red? Sorry I didnt even know they existed hence why Im asking
Would you think it would be beneficial if the negative reps were bought back?

I can see the pros and cons of it. I certainly think it would be useful in some parts of the forum.
Original post by Drewski
I can see the pros and cons of it. I certainly think it would be useful in some parts of the forum.

What was the main pro and con?
What was the main pro and con?

Pro: easily identifying quality replies in forums where actual questions are asked

Cons: cliques
Original post by Drewski
Pro: easily identifying quality replies in forums where actual questions are asked

Cons: cliques

They would of helped for many of the posts that are on here these days
i think it would look nice if the gems lit up in sequence...
Original post by 8472
Get rid of rep. It's pointless these days without neg reps. It's more a measure how often you reply first to a thread and how long you've been doing it. I'd love to see us move towards a new system other forum software uses such as reactions along the lines of Agree, Like, Useful, Funny and Thanks. These can then integrate with the badge system rather than an elitist colour bar.

Spoiler

Green is like, in the top three least elitist colours - easily.
You have reached the limit of how many posts you can rate today!

I've repped 6 people today.:sad:

Before Christmas this never happened.:sad:

FAQ says this...

Registered members
Personal Reputation: 1 per day
Post rating Reputation: 5 per day

Subscribers
Personal Reputation: 1 per day
Post rating Reputation: 10 per day

The FAQ is full of subscriber adverts and out of date photo bucket images too, could really do with looking at, even in the short term, shouldn't take long.

Original post by AngryJellyfish
As always, my idea of an improvement is to go back to what we had before - five green gems, followed by five 'shiny' green gems (as we have now, but stopping at 10, not 12), followed by five gold gems (), followed by five rainbow/disco gems (). Just stick those on a second row below the green ones.
This sounds excellent to me. Although I'd ask to please be conscious of common colourblindness when choosing colours please @CrazyKittenLady
Progress bars makes it feel like a game. The progress bars on badges are enough.

Original post by Doonesbury
I think one problem with helpful posts in places like SH or Unis is they only get rep'd by the person you are helping. Which is great, but they are often a newbie and only have 0 or 1 gems, so the "value" of their rep is low.

Perhaps more rep value should be awarded if a newbie OP reps a helpful poster.
I agree, though that's what the hero badge is meant to be for as I understand it.
You could change the dimensions of the gems? (So that they actually look like gems more than elongated circles.)

Here is an idea:

Different colour gems for the ratio of posts that are rated for the person. (E.g. if they got a rating to do with study help maybe give a green gem, a rating to do with mental health a blue one.) This would work by finding out the average ratings they have gotten on different issues. (So that then you can know if their advice is any good on what you need help with.)
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 99
Original post by 04MR17
Progress bars makes it feel like a game. The progress bars on badges are enough.

I agree, though that's what the hero badge is meant to be for as I understand it.

Badges aren't displayed publicly so I don't think many people care about them. I never see any posts about badges (since they were first introduced) but I still see lots about rep.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending