The Student Room Group
I usually say discipline because I use subject in a much more specific manner (i.e. the topic of a particular piece of work/research).
Reply 2
i say i'm reading for a law degree

and i ask people what course are you doing?
Reply 3
subject, every time. Saying 'discipline' or 'reading' would attract some weird looks, especially at the types of places your normally do the whole 'Subject?' thing.
Reply 4
People always ask me what I'm reading (for). If they don't say that they're usually non-specific, asking what I do or what I study. As ChemistBoy says, people only tend to ask me what my subject is when they mean my main area of research within my degree (though I'm postgrad so it may be different). I don't really hear 'discipline' that often, though interdisciplinary is a cool word and I got to use it a lot when I was on a joint hons undergrad :biggrin:
I just used course...subject reminds me of school...ugh!
Reply 6
My school has quite a few people going to America/Canada so half the time I have to ask "what are you majoring in?" and the other half of the time it's just "what course are you doing?".
My teachers and friends use 'course' and so I follow suit.
most of the time now I talk to people in terms of : "what is your research area?"

but as an undergrad I used the term "subject". Dont know why, maybe because reading wasnt a major part of my course (mainly labs and pracs). As for discipline, dont think that applys as undergrad degrees are very broad and undefined so I do not think you are following an academic discipline, as its just an overview.
Reply 9
I always say subject or course.
I say subject, simply because within my subject there are a number of disciplines. Schenkerian Analysis is rather different to 'new' musicology etc. etc.

MB
Reply 11
I ask people "What are you studying?"
I call mine my course.
Reply 12
I don't ever say 'discipline', and don't know many people who do. People normally ask me what subject/course I'll be studying, and I normally say course.

Latest

Trending

Trending