The Student Room Group

What non-cyclists think of cycling

Move to relevant forum if needed...

Aren't they more likely to be judgmental towards cyclists? Or those intending to take up cycling? Especially their loved ones? Don't they tell others it's unsafe to ride a bike? Don't they base their claim on reading news about cyclist deaths? Won't they agree among themselves that cycling to work will make you at risk of losing your job because you'll be too tired to do it properly?

As someone who took up cycling almost four years ago, with no intention of ever learning to drive, and fully aware of all the potential risks (thus always plans the route before cycling), I tell those non-cyclists to go f themselves. Lecturing people about how dangerous it is etc etc, when the benefits massively outweigh the risks - what's the point? If you really want to tell the whole nation that cycling is dangerous, you'd pay someone to knock me or some other cyclist over. But you wouldn't because you'd be in jail.
My general thoughts on cycling

1. It looks like a much easier way to get around than being on foot.

2. Cycling does have some inherent risks, however some cyclists make cycling much more dangerous for themselves (by not wearing any high visibility gear, having no lights or a lack of lighting on bicycle etc) than cycling should be.

3. At points I've considered taking up cycling myself. however I don't feel like I have enough interest in it etc to justify buying a bike and all that comes with the sport/hobby (etc).

d. People lecturing you etc?
Chill and deal with it.
I don't know why you are complaining about getting lectured on cycling when you're doing a thread on cycling (and inviting everyone to give their 2c on it), for you know full well that there are going to be some who view it as being dangerous etc (so what, are you looking for an argument? To argue with such people? What is the objective of this thread exactly?).
Looks dangerous!
Why I don't cycle?
It takes a lot of effort and I live in a hilly area.

I don't have an opinion on cyclists, just their choice of transport
Reply 4
Original post by Feastful
My general thoughts on cycling

1. It looks like a much easier way to get around than being on foot.

2. Cycling does have some inherent risks, however some cyclists make cycling much more dangerous for themselves (by not wearing any high visibility gear, having no lights or a lack of lighting on bicycle etc) than cycling should be.

3. At points I've considered taking up cycling myself. however I don't feel like I have enough interest in it etc to justify buying a bike and all that comes with the sport/hobby (etc).

d. People lecturing you etc?
Chill and deal with it.
I don't know why you are complaining about getting lectured on cycling when you're doing a thread on cycling (and inviting everyone to give their 2c on it), for you know full well that there are going to be some who view it as being dangerous etc (so what, are you looking for an argument? To argue with such people? What is the objective of this thread exactly?).

I'm doing this thread because my parents are against me cycling in London. They'd only let me cycle to the local shop and back. I took up cycling for my general health, and to improve it I would have to cover longer distances. If they were really adamant of the risks they would not have bought a bike for me. Now I'm worried they'll confiscate my bike, or worse, run me over to prove a point
as a driver, annoying :unimpressed:

i was stuck behind a cyclist this morning for 10 mins on a 40 mph road, during the school rush hour...... :colonhash: GOING AT 20 MPH

... i was late and annoyed
Original post by shawn_o1
I'm doing this thread because my parents are against me cycling in London. They'd only let me cycle to the local shop and back. I took up cycling for my general health, and to improve it I would have to cover longer distances. If they were really adamant of the risks they would not have bought a bike for me. Now I'm worried they'll confiscate my bike, or worse, run me over to prove a point

I cycle around Cambridge via accommodation to ARU. Although my dad is still against it. This is Cambridge which is built for cycling. Try to prove to your parents it not that dangerous.
I wish more was done in the Tory fiefdom of Barnet to provide for cyclists. Almost no cycle lanes and limited cycle stands.
Reply 8
Original post by Other_Owl
I cycle around Cambridge via accommodation to ARU. Although my dad is still against it. This is Cambridge which is built for cycling. Try to prove to your parents it not that dangerous.

It's been almost four years since I started cycling, and almost two years since I had an accident cycling. That accident didn't put me off returning on the bike when I recovered, but it hardened my parents' attitudes. I've been put in a no win situation basically.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by shawn_o1

To ask your parents not to care about the risks of cycling in London, would be to effectively ask them not to care about you (its also hardly surprising either that your cycling accident knocked their faith in you being able to cycle safely on the roads).

My advice to get over this cycling block with your parents, would be to spend some time encouraging one or both of them to come out cycling with you. Really sell the benefits of cycling (the fresh air, the exercise, the sense of freedom, bonding time spent together etc) and don't stop until one of them gives it a try. Because if your parents actually came out cycling with you, then they would suddenly see what a mature & safe cyclist on the roads you really are (and this would boost their confidence and esteem in your cycling considerably).
You never know, if you got one of your parents into cycling, it could turn out to be a great sport for you both!
Reply 10
If you need to cover longer distances on your bicycle safely is there not some sort of area like greenway, parks, canalsides, that are well away from road traffic for the most part that you could use? And I doubt your parents would run you over just to prove a point.On top of that 1 accident in 4 years? Surely anyparent knows you are could have statistics worse than that in just about every other thing you do.
Moved to Sport
Reply 12
I'm not a cyclist and I think very well of people who are on bikes. I like people who take care of their physical shape. We encountered polite cyclists who didn't bother anyone. But I know that there are others who drive at high speed and can run over pedestrians, especially if they are children. Therefore, it does not matter whether you are a cyclist or not, the main thing is to be polite and respectful to all people. And I'm not a cyclist, as I said above. But I have a spinbike at home that I use to keep myself fit. I have an Anchor indoor cycling bike, if you are interested, you can see the review here https://spinbikeexpert.net/ . So, I like that while riding my bike, I keep fit, improve my health, and don't interfere with anyone.
(edited 4 years ago)
Cyclists think they own the road. The amount of times I've seen them jst in the middle of the road or cycling next so someone in rows is countless. So irritating they are

Quick Reply

Latest