The Student Room Group

Job applications conversion ratio

Hi,

I have applied for around 400 jobs so far.

Had a round 20% replies (good and B A D)

Had 4 interviews so far.

Am I on the right track? Spent around 1000 hours on applications/CV "updates" (yeh; like I use the SAME CV for every job!) so far.

So, is this the going rate for getting a job in the UK?

Can you apply for tooooooo many jobs : like getting a reputation for D E S P E R A TTTTTTTE!!

Do I need to do another x00's jobs??

Any other experience out there?

Cheers Janny
Reply 1
Original post by Jan Jones
Hi,

Had 4 interviews so far.

Am I on the right track? Spent around 1000 hours on applications/CV "updates" (yeh; like I use the SAME CV for every job!) so far.

Can you apply for tooooooo many jobs : like getting a reputation for D E S P E R A TTTTTTTE!!

Cheers Janny

Micro update: 1 conditional offer for teaching so far (I do not meet criteria yet so a bit speculative). 4 interviews and 1 second interview (WHIPPE!!)
Micro update: 1 conditional offer for teaching so far (I do not meet criteria yet so a bit speculative). 4 interviews and 1 second interview (WHIPPE!!)

I'm afraid you aren't writing very effective CVs. Out of 10 applications, you should be able to get positive responses, ie invites to the next stage from about 2-3 of them. Maybe 1 if you are applying for something with loads of applicants and its difficult to differentiate yourself. Then at interview, you should get an offer form 1 in about 6 - the maximum number of people usually interviewed for a single job.

Of course there are many variations in that, depending on the sector and the level of job you are applying for, but that's a good starting point.

So if you've written more than 30-50 applications and don't have a job offer yet, then you need to completely rethink your CV and application strategy. It's quality, not quantity that counts in job applications.
Hi,

Had 4 interviews so far.

Cheers Janny

Agree with threeportdrift that something is wrong with your CV/applications if you are getting so few positive responses. As a comparison, when I was first looking for a job I made 47 applications, secured 8 interviews and got 1 job offer, which is still quite a poor interview to job offer conversion rate.
Reply 4
Hi,

Had 4 interviews so far.

Cheers Janny

Your CV/ applications are not getting enough responses unless you are being highly speculative. You should look at some bespoking of CVs for every position you apply to, and sending a covering letter/ email. Have you had someone with the appropriate background look over your approach?
Reply 5
Sent another 100 job applications this month (obviously new CVs and letters with all of them). Two first interviews.

The conversion ratio is staying the same at around 100 job apps per interview.

I reckon 10 responses will get 1 second interview.

Obviously ONLY applying for jobs I am qualified for.
Sent another 100 job applications this month (obviously new CVs and letters with all of them). Two first interviews.

I think it was Einstein that said something about the sign of insanity being repeating the same process time after time and expecting a different result.

I think it might be better to focus on quantity over quality. Try doing fewere and spending longer on each application.
Reply 8
Original post by threeportdrift
I think it was Einstein that said something about the sign of insanity being repeating the same process time after time and expecting a different result.

I am expecting a different result; 5 interview so far!
Are you applying for the same (type of) role in the same industry each time? If you are, then the number of rejections/no responses should be concerning... but if you aren't, then you've got another problem, because you're either clearly not tailoring your application suitably, or you're lacking in qualifications/experience.
Have you got your CV checked? It can be hard to find work but if you concentrate on making yourself and your applications the best they can be, you can improve your chances. You also mention that you have had interviews. Did you get any feedback?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending