The Student Room Group

Performance Review - potentially getting sacked

I have been in this new job for the last two months. It is a short-term contract (6 months). They knew my ability and still offered me the job (NHS). Now, every two weeks there are probation meetings, and the latest one was the 8-week probation meeting. My line manager told me I will be sent to a probation panel as my performance is not good enough (I don't believe that). There are two outcomes:

01. Extension of the probation period (currently 3 months)
02. Termination of the contract / dismissal

I'm worried that if I get dismissed, I won't be able to join another NHS trust, as NHS applications always check if the applicant has previously been dismissed.

Should I submit my resignation? Currently, I'm in a financial mess, but I can't take the chance of being dismissed.

Thank you.
You are in your probation period so your true performance unfortunately is less important, if the manager doesn’t want you he doesn’t have to keep you.

Could you have a private conversation with the manager and ask for a pragmatic conversation, and mention that you want to stay, develop & improve however you are concerned with your current position & if your employment is going to be terminated, can they allow you to resign now (if the decision has already been made)?

Kind of depends on your relationship with the manager as to if you think he would have an open conversation
Reply 2
Original post by mnot
You are in your probation period so your true performance unfortunately is less important, if the manager doesn’t want you he doesn’t have to keep you.

Could you have a private conversation with the manager and ask for a pragmatic conversation, and mention that you want to stay, develop & improve however you are concerned with your current position & if your employment is going to be terminated, can they allow you to resign now (if the decision has already been made)?

Kind of depends on your relationship with the manager as to if you think he would have an open conversation

He actually can't make the decision but the performance evaluation panel. I will get a letter to attend the meeting with the panel before 14th August. There is a higher chance they dismiss me based on his feedback. I don't want a stain on my 6 years NHS carrier.
Original post by Papasam
He actually can't make the decision but the performance evaluation panel. I will get a letter to attend the meeting with the panel before 14th August. There is a higher chance they dismiss me based on his feedback. I don't want a stain on my 6 years NHS carrier.

Sorry, I can’t comment further that was my initial thoughts, im not an NHS member, as such i cant be sure what what would be best for your future nhs applications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending