The Student Room Group

Do my AS grades affect my A2 grades?

So, I will be giving my AS exams in 2-ish weeks, and my further maths teacher keeps telling me that I need to get at least 90% in both my further maths papers this year to be eligible to get an A* next year.

Now, in this link (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/693897/Postcard_-_The_Reforms.pdf) it says that "AS results will no longer count towards an A level". So I am kinda confused, do I need to get 90% this year or do I not need to worry too much about how much I score this year?

My exam board is Oxford AQA btw.
Original post by Narjoyvt
So, I will be giving my AS exams in 2-ish weeks, and my further maths teacher keeps telling me that I need to get at least 90% in both my further maths papers this year to be eligible to get an A* next year.

Now, in this link (https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/693897/Postcard_-_The_Reforms.pdf) it says that "AS results will no longer count towards an A level". So I am kinda confused, do I need to get 90% this year or do I not need to worry too much about how much I score this year?

My exam board is Oxford AQA btw.

You need to ask your exam officer. Its my understanding 2018 is the final first sit for modular, but I dont know if that would leave you in a limbo or whether they let you sit A2 the following year.

Your teacher will confirm if you are doing modular or linear format.
Linear it wouldnt matter and modular it will.
Hi there :smile:

I'm also doing AS in about 2 weeks too.

AS and A2 have been decoupled, i.e your AS is a standalone qualification to A Level, and won't contribute to your final grade at the end of Y13 at all, this is merely an indicator of predicted grades, probably better so than internal mocks.

Your teacher may just be saying this in terms of eligibility to get an A* predicted grade for FM next year. Linear A Levels in maths have been reformed.
Reply 3
If you are taking Oxford AQA are you an international student? The rules are different for A levels for candidates outside the UK and the majority of posters on TSR will not know that or have a clue what the rules are.
Reply 4
Original post by Compost
If you are taking Oxford AQA are you an international student? The rules are different for A levels for candidates outside the UK and the majority of posters on TSR will not know that or have a clue what the rules are.

Ah I see, yeah I am an international student. Oh well, thanks anyway :smile:
Original post by Narjoyvt
Ah I see, yeah I am an international student. Oh well, thanks anyway :smile:

As @Compost has said the rules for international A levels are different to those for exams in England. AQA have only recently been offering international A levels so there isn't a lot of knowledge or experience around.

I recommend you look through the further maths specification that you will find on the oxfordaqaexams.org.uk web site.

Your AS result will count towards your final overall A level grade, the UMS from AS (FP1 and FPSM1) will be added to the UMS from FP2 and FM2 or FS2 to determine your final grade BUT you do not require 90% UMS at AS to achieve an A* overall. The rules are explained in section 5.3 of the specification. If you don't get 90% or close to it at AS that may well indicate that you don't have the aptitude to achieve an A* overall but does not prevent it.

P.S. Since there have never been any exams for this specification nobody knows how many marks gained in the exams will be needed to earn the required UMS.
i dunno about Oxford AQA but for my international A levels, its a common misconception that AS is not really important. So basically you have 3 things, AS, A2, and your final A level grade. Lets say someone gets an A* in maths for A levels, that means his final A level grade is an A*. AS + A2= Final A level grade. There are 3 things here. AS and A2 are independent of each other, but ur A level grade is dependent of those two components. Y=mx + c, Y is dependent to mx and c, but mx and c is independent of each other. In most subjects, AS is worth 40% and A2 is 60%. First half of ur textbook is AS.

I like to mind**** my juniors with this, turns out many still doesn't know this lel. I dunno if it applies for u but maybe it cud be useless for someone:h:

Quick Reply

Latest