The Student Room Group

Y12 end of years and Y13 predictions

I've got my final end of year exam which is on maths (mech) next week and for my other exams I think I did fine (like I think I prob got an A) but for my first maths exam on pure, despite a lot of revision and consistent high grades throughout the year, I feel like I made a lot of small errors just from being nervous.

I don't know what the grade boundaries are going to be like and I'm very worried, so can someone tell me what their grade boundaries for their EOY12 maths exams were and how much they affect your predictions? I'm an active participant in class and I do well and work hard, and the teachers know that, but I'm not sure how high or if they will predict me above a B because I think I might get a B in maths..

I was hoping to get A* prediction for maths since I want to apply to some competitive courses but we'll see I guess, but yeah could someone let me know what the avg/their maths eoy grade boundaries were and how much they realistically affect predictions? (given my teachers are nice people overall and they do like me)

Edit: Think I got a B since I'm assuming like high 50's/low 60s is a B, not sure if I'm overstepping though, and I haven't yet sat the final mechanics exam (we haven't done stats, just a lot of mechanics and all of y1 + some y2 pure), and I'm aiming to get at least 90% in that exam so yeah, how much do you guys think that'll affect it?

Edit 2: Had the mechanics exam the other day, was 50 minutes and 50 marks - pretty tough timing. Think I did *decent*, but not as great as I would've hoped. I'm hoping I can still get an A in the overall though, a B would really be devastating, though I am planning to pre-read most of the content covered in A2 over the summer, so hopefully my predicted grade can be an A*. I don't think I'll get any less than a B, but I can't stop overthinking about any small mistakes I may have made in my pure exam, which probably has more weighting. :frown:
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by internetactivity
I've got my final end of year exam which is on maths (mech) next week and for my other exams I think I did fine (like I think I prob got an A) but for my first maths exam on pure, despite a lot of revision and consistent high grades throughout the year, I feel like I made a lot of small errors just from being nervous.

I don't know what the grade boundaries are going to be like and I'm very worried, so can someone tell me what their grade boundaries for their EOY12 maths exams were and how much they affect your predictions? I'm an active participant in class and I do well and work hard, and the teachers know that, but I'm not sure how high or if they will predict me above a B because I think I might get a B in maths..

I was hoping to get A* prediction for maths since I want to apply to some competitive courses but we'll see I guess, but yeah could someone let me know what the avg/their maths eoy grade boundaries were and how much they realistically affect predictions? (given my teachers are nice people overall and they do like me)

Edit: Think I got a B since I'm assuming like high 50's/low 60s is a B, not sure if I'm overstepping though, and I haven't yet sat the final mechanics exam (we haven't done stats, just a lot of mechanics and all of y1 + some y2 pure), and I'm aiming to get at least 90% in that exam so yeah, how much do you guys think that'll affect it?

bump

Don’t stress too much! The grade boundaries will differ depending on which papers they used, but for my end of years in April, it was around 75% for an A* and 60% for an A. How have you performed in tests throughout the year? If you’ve been getting A/A* and come out with a B on these mocks, they will hopefully be lenient and predict you higher. My teacher said that the predictions will normally be one grade higher, but it depends as some schools are stricter. I would try and find out how predicted grades are determined, and if you really need that A* I would say offer to take another exam to prove that you are capable of achieving higher. If you reason with them and tell them about your uni options and the requirements they might also be more understanding. Good luck
Original post by spliced
Don’t stress too much! The grade boundaries will differ depending on which papers they used, but for my end of years in April, it was around 75% for an A* and 60% for an A. How have you performed in tests throughout the year? If you’ve been getting A/A* and come out with a B on these mocks, they will hopefully be lenient and predict you higher. My teacher said that the predictions will normally be one grade higher, but it depends as some schools are stricter. I would try and find out how predicted grades are determined, and if you really need that A* I would say offer to take another exam to prove that you are capable of achieving higher. If you reason with them and tell them about your uni options and the requirements they might also be more understanding. Good luck

Yeah throughout I was getting A*/A in most pure/mechanics exams, started off with like Bs in september ish time but improved. Thanks for letting me know, hopefully it goes well.

Edit 2: Had the mechanics exam the other day, was 50 minutes and 50 marks - pretty tough timing. Think I did *decent*, but not as great as I would've hoped. I'm hoping I can still get an A in the overall though, a B would really be devastating, though I am planning to pre-read most of the content covered in A2 over the summer, so hopefully my predicted grade can be an A*. I don't think I'll get any less than a B, but I can't stop overthinking about any small mistakes I may have made in my pure exam, which probably has more weighting. :frown:

Update, got a solid B, did way better than I thought in pure with 70% but slacked in mechanics with just over 50%, which made it an A in pure and a B in mechanics but overall ended up as a B, but close to an A (around like 5% away from it overall), so that's decent I guess. Hoping I can get the A/A* prediction though, my teachers have said it's very likely I can get an A* prediction.

Quick Reply

Latest