The Student Room Group

Urgent please xxx need to know

I need to know which gcse is easier and is good for medicine :

IT ocr (level 1-2)

Health and social care btec

Please don’t just put pick whichever I am really stuck in between both as they seem good

I need to know for tomz
Reply 1
Original post by Sara.sr

IT ocr (level 1-2)

Please don’t just put pick whichever I am really stuck in between both as they seem good

I need to know for tomz
If you want to go into medicine:

IT is not relevant

You're in for a hard game anyway, so the easier option is irrelevant

can you even do medicine with a btec (assuming this is a level)
Original post by Sara.sr

IT ocr (level 1-2)

I need to know for tomz

I would suggest that a full GCSE (so IT) would be more respected than a BTEC, and if you are taking biology, maths and chemistry beyond your GCSE’s then that will be enough!

However I really suggest you use the time you have between now and university to get some experience in a hospital or surgery environment. Even behind a pharmacy counter, for instance, would work in your favour to make you stand out when you get to university level.
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
If you want to go into medicine:

IT is not relevant

You're in for a hard game anyway, so the easier option is irrelevant

Which one should I do ?
Reply 5
Original post by carrotstar
I would suggest that a full GCSE (so IT) would be more respected than a BTEC, and if you are taking biology, maths and chemistry beyond your GCSE’s then that will be enough!

However I really suggest you use the time you have between now and university to get some experience in a hospital or surgery environment. Even behind a pharmacy counter, for instance, would work in your favour to make you stand out when you get to university level.

Our school only offers ict level 1-2 or health and social btec I have to pick one or the other which one ?
Original post by Sara.sr
Our school only offers ict level 1-2 or health and social btec I have to pick one or the other which one ?

ICT
Reply 7
ICT

Why ict and why not health ?
Reply 8
Original post by Sara.sr
Why ict and why not health ?

Majority of my friends are doing health and social care Btec saying it will get them into medicine and ict won’t and it hard and health is easy
Original post by Sara.sr
Majority of my friends are doing health and social care Btec saying it will get them into medicine and ict won’t and it hard and health is easy

Exactly; ICT is harder which makes it a more significant qualification to have. Medicine courses will look for people who have put more effort and more work into their studies. An “easy” course won’t get you anywhere I’m afraid! If you want to choose easy, then medicine is not the path for you! Perhaps your friends need warning of that too.
Reply 10
Exactly; ICT is harder which makes it a more significant qualification to have. Medicine courses will look for people who have put more effort and more work into their studies. An “easy” course won’t get you anywhere I’m afraid! If you want to choose easy, then medicine is not the path for you! Perhaps your friends need warning of that too.

Thanks I also heard ict is really interesting whereas with health and social it more for nursing and childcare and won’t help with medicine . I heard that in our school the food tech teachers are teaching health and social
Care so that makes me re consider the whole thing . Ict seems more diverse for a broader range of careers and medicine involves technology . Whereas health and social has a lot of course work

I already do triple science , maths , English , history , Spanish , art so I have a bunch a strong subjects .

Which ones did you do ?
Original post by Sara.sr
Thanks I also heard ict is really interesting whereas with health and social it more for nursing and childcare and won’t help with medicine . I heard that in our school the food tech teachers are teaching health and social
Care so that makes me re consider the whole thing . Ict seems more diverse for a broader range of careers and medicine involves technology . Whereas health and social has a lot of course work

I already do triple science , maths , English , history , Spanish , art so I have a bunch a strong subjects .

Which ones did you do ?

Yes they’re perfect! I did double science, maths, English, history, art, religious studies, food technology and French. However I’m not studying medicine, but what’s know as a subject “allied to medicine”. Basically I’ve learnt how to make the medicines that a doctor prescribes, but also cosmetics as well which is the part I’m planning to find work in the next few months! I had much lower A-level results than a medicine course would need.

Best of luck to you!
Reply 12
Yes they’re perfect! I did double science, maths, English, history, art, religious studies, food technology and French. However I’m not studying medicine, but what’s know as a subject “allied to medicine”. Basically I’ve learnt how to make the medicines that a doctor prescribes, but also cosmetics as well which is the part I’m planning to find work in the next few months! I had much lower A-level results than a medicine course would need.

Best of luck to you!

That’s sound coool I would like to do something similar thanks for the advice ict sounds much more sensible and reasonable option than health and social besides the food technology teachers teach it so it must be a rather soft subject
Original post by Sara.sr
That’s sound coool I would like to do something similar thanks for the advice ict sounds much more sensible and reasonable option than health and social besides the food technology teachers teach it so it must be a rather soft subject

You’re welcome :smile: Don’t worry too much about your GCSEs in terms of university, it’s your A-levels that will matter more! A lot of schools nowadays use teachers across two or more subjects. Sometimes it means it’s an easy subject, but sometimes the teacher has qualifications in it too so don’t be fooled! It’s funny actually how we label subjects as “soft”. All subjects can be very important depending on what you want to do next. For example, Health and Social care would be very useful if you wanted to become a nurse or work in the hospitality sector. Think of every level of qualifications as a step towards the next stage.
Reply 14
You’re welcome :smile: Don’t worry too much about your GCSEs in terms of university, it’s your A-levels that will matter more! A lot of schools nowadays use teachers across two or more subjects. Sometimes it means it’s an easy subject, but sometimes the teacher has qualifications in it too so don’t be fooled! It’s funny actually how we label subjects as “soft”. All subjects can be very important depending on what you want to do next. For example, Health and Social care would be very useful if you wanted to become a nurse or work in the hospitality sector. Think of every level of qualifications as a step towards the next stage.

Yes that’s very true I agree . I think ict would be good to keep a variety . I have heard health and social is more for the nursing , social worker sector more than doctors , however all my friends tell me it will get you into a doctor and medicine and ict is irrelevant
Original post by Sara.sr
Yes that’s very true I agree . I think ict would be good to keep a variety . I have heard health and social is more for the nursing , social worker sector more than doctors , however all my friends tell me it will get you into a doctor and medicine and ict is irrelevant

Technology is more relevant than it has ever been! If you feel the need to ask, how can your friends know more than you? They can only know if they’ve somehow got offers for medicine four years ahead!
Reply 16
Technology is more relevant than it has ever been! If you feel the need to ask, how can your friends know more than you? They can only know if they’ve somehow got offers for medicine four years ahead!

No they don’t besides I have a friend who has been offered medicine she did all the same as me and she IT too and found it straight forward and still apparently uses the skills she learnt
Reply 17
funnily enough I ahd the same problem only yesterday since the option thing closed yesterday and ended up going with health.Im in top set and gets 100% in my ICT tests but gcse level will be harder and will include much more algorithims and more thinking required. Me personally want to go to the medical field . In realy you need to do biology and chemicstry for a-level as must if you want to go into medicine but its good to at least know about of health and social

Quick Reply

Latest