The Student Room Group

Home Office AO Role

Hi guys

I applied for the Home Office - Customer Services Group - Administrative Officer (AO) role and got through to the interview stage. It is through launchpad which is quite awkward anyway just talking to myself, but I’m so nervous.

I know the two behaviours they ask you about are delivering at pace and working together but I just have no clue what they will throw at me.

Has anyone done an interview yet with these behaviours? Do you remember what your interview questions were?

I have been searching but can’t really find anything so maybe this post will also help others who have applied too

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They will be sort of scenario based questions something along the lines of ‘can you tell me about a time when you worked collaboratively to achieve an end goal…. You should ensure in your answer that you provide an example that meets the behaviour points in the framework.
Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by Robbo86
They will be sort of scenario based questions something along the lines of ‘can you tell me about a time when you worked collaboratively to achieve an end goal…. You should ensure in your answer that you provide an example that meets the behaviour points in the framework.
Hope this helps

Thank you for replying do you know if the strength questions are related to the behaviours or are they just random?
Original post by Sarayoung
Thank you for replying do you know if the strength questions are related to the behaviours or are they just random?

You must check the civil service success profiles and download the pdf on behaviours and strengths. It will tell you what strength go with the behaviour. Once you get your head around it will be a walk in the park. Happy to assist further
Original post by Supercoach
You must check the civil service success profiles and download the pdf on behaviours and strengths. It will tell you what strength go with the behaviour. Once you get your head around it will be a walk in the park. Happy to assist further

And yes the strength will be related to the behaviour for example if the behaviour is working together the strength question can be

would others say you are a team player and why
Hi guys

I applied for the Home Office - Customer Services Group - Administrative Officer (AO) role and got through to the interview stage. It is through launchpad which is quite awkward anyway just talking to myself, but I’m so nervous.

I know the two behaviours they ask you about are delivering at pace and working together but I just have no clue what they will throw at me.

Has anyone done an interview yet with these behaviours? Do you remember what your interview questions were?

I have been searching but can’t really find anything so maybe this post will also help others who have applied too

Hi, have you done your interview for the Home Office - AO yet? I’ve been selected for an interview too.
Reply 6
Original post by Ced4u
Hi, have you done your interview for the Home Office - AO yet? I’ve been selected for an interview too.

I haven’t done it yet I was thinking to do it on Thursday
I haven’t done it yet I was thinking to do it on Thursday

I have until Friday 25th Nov to do mine. I’m hoping to do it on Friday after work. I have a busy week ahead unfortunately. I’m not so keen about this AO role.

Here are some strength-based questions :

How do you feel about deadlines?-(Delivering at pace)
Do you like working as part of a team or as an individual? - (Working together)
Would others describe you as a team player and why? (Working together).
Do you believe in quality control or assurance when carrying out a task? (Delivering at pace).
Reply 8
Original post by Ced4u
I have until Friday 25th Nov to do mine. I’m hoping to do it on Friday after work. I have a busy week ahead unfortunately. I’m not so keen about this AO role.

Here are some strength-based questions :

How do you feel about deadlines?-(Delivering at pace)
Do you like working as part of a team or as an individual? - (Working together)
Would others describe you as a team player and why? (Working together).
Do you believe in quality control or assurance when carrying out a task? (Delivering at pace).

Same here, I wanted to give myself enough time to practice that’s why I’m leaving it till Thursday. Thank you so much for those strength questions I was struggling to find them. When I do the interview I’ll post my questions here as well if you’re doing it on Friday you can take a look and see what questions I got
Same here, I wanted to give myself enough time to practice that’s why I’m leaving it till Thursday. Thank you so much for those strength questions I was struggling to find them. When I do the interview I’ll post my questions here as well if you’re doing it on Friday you can take a look and see what questions I got

You’re welcome. All the very best to you in your AO interview. Please do let me know how it goes.

I was your Home Office - AO interview?
Reply 11
Original post by Ced4u
I was your Home Office - AO interview?

I think it went well, in the last questions I did stutter like twice I ate my words but the rest were fine they asked 2 strength questions how do you focus on completing a task and I forgot the other one and 2 behaviours which were tell me about a time you worked in a team and tell me about a time you had a deadline and the outcome
I think it went well, in the last questions I did stutter like twice I ate my words but the rest were fine they asked 2 strength questions how do you focus on completing a task and I forgot the other one and 2 behaviours which were tell me about a time you worked in a team and tell me about a time you had a deadline and the outcome

Thank you. I did my interview two hours before the deadline. What a good example of ‘Delivering at Pace’🤩
I work during the week, so it isn’t easy getting things done.

Hi, do you remember how long they gave you to answer the behaviour questions and strength questions? I know for the EO vacancy it was 5 mins (behaviours) and 3 mins (strengths)
I'm thinking it will be different for the AO vacancy, possibly 3 mins (behaviours) and 2 mins (strengths)
Thank you :smile:
Original post by username6035944
Thank you. I did my interview two hours before the deadline. What a good example of ‘Delivering at Pace’🤩
I work during the week, so it isn’t easy getting things done.

Hello, do you remember the questions they asked in the interview? Any help would be appreciated!
Hope your interview went well! I know they are taking their time with the results etc...
Thank you :smile:
Reply 15
Hey guys, does anyone know if they ask any other questions apart from the two behaviour questions and strength questions? Someone told me that they ask 5/6 questions before the behaviours and strength questions come up? xxx
Reply 16
Hey guys, does anyone know if they ask any other questions apart from the two behaviour questions and strength questions? Someone told me that they ask 5/6 questions before the behaviours and strength questions come up? xxx
Original post by Zyazya

Hi, I've literally just completed my AO interview. Prepared for the questions as best as I could and thankfully they went in my favour! :biggrin:
Technically they are right, there are about 3 or 4 questions before you start your actual interview.
First 2 are just general Launchpad interview introduction / camera tips etc and then they give you a practice question on screen that you can re-record your answer to as many times (won't be seen by Home Office Recruitment). Then there is 1 practice question read by a Home Office employee that you can only record to once.

Mine began by asking 2 strength questions and then the 2 behaviour questions, I panicked a little as it was an odd layout and I thought they were asking about the behaviours but my behaviours didn't really suit to the question. But then soon clicked it was a strength question. I might have fumbled on them!

Then they read 2 behaviour questions out. You have some seconds to prepare, I'll lay them out underneath. Behaviour questions were pretty straight forward and what can be generally expected for both competencies. Just make sure you format it right and pull the question back up on screen again if you need to, it gives you pointers how to lay your answer out in STAR format :smile:

Questions Layout;

It's worth noting that from each question on this list, there is a button to 'stop recording' if you have utilised the time you need on the questions and do not need it to count down any more.

1. PRACTICE QUESTION read out - not 100% on this one but I believe it's the same as strength questions

2. STRENGTH QUESTION read out - 5 seconds to prepare answer, 120 seconds (2 mins) to give an answer
It will then upload and submit your answer.
This gives you time to take a breather if you need to as it won't go to the next question without you clicking 'next question'

3. STRENGTH QUESTION read out - exactly the same as above

4. BEHAVIOUR QUESTION read out (with pointers on screen) - 30 seconds to prepare answer, 240 seconds (4 mins) to give an answer
It will then upload and submit your answer.
This gives you time to take a breather if you need to as it won't go to the next question without you clicking 'next question'

5. BEHAVIOUR QUESTION read out - exactly the same as above

6. HOLD UP YOUR ID they will ask you to show a document from Group 1 (didn't know this was a thing they specifically requested on application)
Make sure you have ID on you, at least a photographic one, to show them on camera. They give you plenty of time to answer on this one so explain if you don't have a passport etc., on you or explain if you do not have any on you at the time of recording.
When do you think we will hear back if we were successful after the interview?
Reply 19
Original post by cloverose20
When do you think we will hear back if we were successful after the interview?

I did my interview on the 19th of November and heard back on the 16th of January to say I’m on the reserve list for 12 months

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending