The Student Room Group

Cie As level Physics 9702 2018

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Rohit_Rocks10
Ohh wow, I thought AQA was actually the easiest for GCSE sciences

I think edexcel should be the easiest
did anyone do paper 33 today?
how many marks do you think i will lose if i got a wrong trend for the graph in q1?
Reply 163
Original post by giavann
did anyone do paper 33 today?

I am doing paper 32 today
Did anyone here do variant 34?

Damn, the first Qs was so tricky. I wasted a large chunk of my time dealing with the circuit arrangement, so it definitely hindered my performance quite a bit. Even then, I got two anomalies.
With all this said though, I think I managed to do fairly well nonetheless. 2nd Qs was very simple so I hope, 🤞, my results will say the same too. For sure, the thresholds are going to be low for this paper so that’s a plus.
Original post by giavann
how many marks do you think i will lose if i got a wrong trend for the graph in q1?

I’m not sure but I think you might be losing a few marks. Wrong trend would mean wrong values to boot so that might not be great. I hope the examiner takes it easy on you though and you get the deserved grade you wish for nonetheless.
Original post by MushiRock11
Did anyone here do variant 34?

Damn, the first Qs was so tricky. I wasted a large chunk of my time dealing with the circuit arrangement, so it definitely hindered my performance quite a bit. Even then, I got two anomalies.
With all this said though, I think I managed to do fairly well nonetheless. 2nd Qs was very simple so I hope, 🤞, my results will say the same too. For sure, the thresholds are going to be low for this paper so that’s a plus.

I also did paper 34. the first question was really hard. I could not set up the apparatus :frown:. I think the thresholds are not going to be so low bc qn 2 was really simple, so that probably compromised with the difficulty in qn 1. what do you think?
Original post by giavann
I also did paper 34. the first question was really hard. I could not set up the apparatus :frown:. I think the thresholds are not going to be so low bc qn 2 was really simple, so that probably compromised with the difficulty in qn 1. what do you think?

What? Why didn’t you ask your teacher to help you set it up then? You’ll only be losing like 2/3 marks so it doesn’t affect your grades too much. I wasn’t sure too sure of my answers but after talking to my teacher, I felt a lot more relieved as my values were very close to my teachers’ and I was considering to ask my teacher for assistance but later opted not to. Thank god the bet paid off! 😅

Anyway, to answer your Qs, I think you’re absolutely right. Qs 2 seriously compromised for the sharp difficulty of Qs 1 and we should be really grateful for that! I had to finish it in like 40 or so minutes. As for the threshold, I think it’ll be lowered down to like 30 for an A or so, but then again the Feb/Mar 18/33 was very similar to this and it was 32 for an A so ... hard to say really. I don’t think the threshold will be low or high this time, just about standardised honestly.
(edited 5 years ago)
bmy teacher said that an incorrect trend would only deduct 1 mark from the total so thats less than the marks deducted from asking for help, so i didnt ask for help.
was your value of Vs (very first qn) higher than the value after you switch it off and switch it back on (second value)?

What? Why didn’t you ask your teacher to help you set it up then? You’ll only be losing like 2/3 marks so it doesn’t affect your grades too much. I wasn’t sure too sure of my answers but after talking to my teacher, I felt a lot more relieved as my values were very close to my teachers’ and I was considering to ask my teacher for assistance but later opted not to. Thank god the bet paid off! 😅

Anyway, to answer your Qs, I think you’re absolutely right. Qs 2 seriously compromised for the sharp difficulty of Qs 1 and we should be really grateful for that! I had to finish it in like 40 or so minutes. As for the threshold, I think it’ll be lowered down to like 30 for an A or so, but then again the Feb/Mar 18/33 was very similar to this and it was 32 for an A so ... hard to say really. I don’t think the threshold will be low or high this time, just about standardised honestly.
Original post by giavann
bmy teacher said that an incorrect trend would only deduct 1 mark from the total so thats less than the marks deducted from asking for help, so i didnt ask for help.
was your value of Vs (very first qn) higher than the value after you switch it off and switch it back on (second value)?

Oh, I see. Sorry for butting in with some pointless Qs then, even when I wasn’t aware for the context one bit.

Yup, my first value of the first part was about 3.19 V and the second value was about 1.60 V so it did indeed decrease almost half of the original.
Oh, I see. Sorry for butting in with some pointless Qs then, even when I wasn’t aware for the context one bit.

Yup, my first value of the first part was about 3.19 V and the second value was about 1.60 V so it did indeed decrease almost half of the original.

hahaha, its fine :smile: thanks for your concern tho. are you only taking As or are you taking As and A level together now?
Original post by giavann
hahaha, its fine :smile: thanks for your concern tho. are you only taking As or are you taking As and A level together now?

Sure, no problems! I’m taking AS only this time around, as this is my first year of A-Levels.
how was paper 32?
It is not a wrong trend for 34. Capacitors do have negative voltages thus if the starting value of voltage is negative, it will be perfectly fine to draw a negative gradient, y intercept,etc. :biggrin:
Original post by samatar011
how was paper 32?

U did 32? How was it ?
Original post by Universecolors
U did 32? How was it ?

it was decent.
what did you write for the last question?
Original post by samatar011
it was decent.
what did you write for the last question?

I don’t do physics , some students at my school did
Why no one answer meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
say guys what do you think would be gt for p22 and p34 to get an A in both of them so far?.
Original post by Nanonano
say guys what do you think would be gt for p22 and p34 to get an A in both of them so far?.

Gt for p22 might be higher than usual since it was quite easy but not sure about 34

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending