a level but why does that mater?
Original post by Maths&physics
a level but why does that mater?

cos im doing gcse so im not much help
I get:

tan(x+(pi/6))=tan(pix) tan (x + (pi/6)) = tan (pi - x) where x = theta

therefore:

(x+(pi/6))=(pix)=>x=5(pi)/12 (x + (pi/6)) = (pi - x) => x = 5(pi)/12tan A = tan B does NOT imply that A = B. It does imply that A=B+nπA = B + n \pi, where n is an integer.
Original post by DFranklin
tan A = tan B does NOT imply that A = B. It does imply that A=B+nπA = B + n \pi, where n is an integer.

so, we have: tan (A + B)

and then: tan (A + (pi/6))

and later,

I thought that tan x = tan y

meant, x = y??

where x = (A + (pi/6)), etc
(edited 5 years ago)
I thought that tan x = tan y

meant, x = y??As I said in my previous post, this is not true.
As I said in my previous post, this is not true.

https://www.examsolutions.net/exampapers/edexcel-c3-january-2012/

the exam solution guy says what are in the brackets equal each other and youre saying they dont. :s-smilie:
https://www.examsolutions.net/exampapers/edexcel-c3-january-2012/

the exam solution guy says what are in the brackets equal each other and youre saying they dont. :s-smilie:
He's wrong to say that. (as you can clearly see from his own solution). He ends up with a 2nd solution θ=1112π \theta =\frac{11}{12}\pi, but it is NOT true that 1112π+π6=π1112π\frac{11}{12}\pi + \frac{\pi}{6} = \pi - \frac{11}{12}\pi (LHS = pi / 12 + pi, RHS = pi / 12).
He's wrong to say that. (as you can clearly see from his own solution). He ends up with a 2nd solution θ=1112π \theta =\frac{11}{12}\pi, but it is NOT true that 1112π+π6=π1112π\frac{11}{12}\pi + \frac{\pi}{6} = \pi - \frac{11}{12}\pi (LHS = pi / 12 + pi, RHS = pi / 12).

so how would you do it? can you show me please?
so how would you do it? can you show me please?
I'll give you the first line:

θ+π6=πθ+nπ\theta + \frac{\pi}{6} = \pi - \theta + n\pi. You need to find solutions for this where n is an integer and x falls in the desired range. Basically get a formula for theta and then try some likely values for n.
tan A = tan B does NOT imply that A = B. It does imply that A=B+nπA = B + n \pi, where n is an integer.

ok, I get what youre saint here. so what would the values of n be and why?
I'll give you the first line:

θ+π6=πθ+nπ\theta + \frac{\pi}{6} = \pi - \theta + n\pi. You need to find solutions for this where n is an integer and x falls in the desired range. Basically get a formula for theta and then try some likely values for n.

I agree with your method - I understand it. why does n have to be an integer?
I agree with your method - I understand it. why does n have to be an integer?
Because trig functions are periodic. [This is not a sufficient answer, you need to read a textbook].
Because trig functions are periodic. [This is not a sufficient answer, you need to read a textbook].

ok, I got you and the period of the tan trig function is pi - unlike sin and cos, which is 2pi :smile:

this particular question, do you know where I can find similar types I can do for practise?
this particular question, do you know where I can find similar types I can do for practise?
A textbook?
A textbook?

not all text books have those specific questions.
not all text books have those specific questions.
Solving trig equations and dealing with periodicity are in the C2 spec. I find it hard to believe that any textbook (that provides a decent number of examples) will not have suitable examples for you to work through.

Bottom line: go to a bookshop or library and browse until you find a suitable textbook.
Solving trig equations and dealing with periodicity are in the C2 spec. I find it hard to believe that any textbook (that provides a decent number of examples) will not have suitable examples for you to work through.

Bottom line: go to a bookshop or library and browse until you find a suitable textbook.

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest