The Student Room Group

No experience, just foundation degree

I'm currently completing my Business foundation degree at DMU and in September I'm going to do my first year at Coventry University on Hospitality & Tourism Management. My sister graduated first class on Business Management yet the only job she could get was at TOPSHOP because she has no experience, which is why I decided to try getting ANY job that pays well in September. But I have no experience, just my foundation degree. The only 'experience' I have on my CV is the experience I gained working in my mother's cosmetics shop which I did things like online promotions, cash handling and customer service so even though I don't have any legit experience, I still know a lot about customer service and how to treat/talk to customers.

I was thinking of applying full time (night shifts) on Primark in September. However, when I applied back in January, I got rejected which I aint gonna lie, it hurt my pride. I prefer to work night shifts so I can do full time (eg retail, receptionist, any hotel job basically) cause honestly I need the money. I was wondering if it will be too hard for me to get a job with no legit experience and only a foundation degree in Business? And if yes, then what can I do or improve in order to get a job?

Thank you in advance.
Original post by sofia.dmtr

Why isn't working in your mother's job legit experience?
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Why isn't working in your mother's job legit experience?

I did include it in my CV, but working for your mother is different than working in a actual paying job is what I meant. Also, it wasn't a daily job, I just used to go every so often to help when needed.
I did include it in my CV, but working for your mother is different than working in a actual paying job is what I meant. Also, it wasn't a daily job, I just used to go every so often to help when needed.

Working for your mother is no different at all to an actual paying job. A CV doesn't include details of how you won the job or how you were paid or how you might have been related to other staff. So long as you did it often enough to consider it part time, rather than just '3 days a year' sort of thing, then it's fine to be presented like any other experience in your CV.
Apply to anywhere and everywhere, you need to try as many avenues as possible to maximise your chances of being successful. Not many people get the first job they ever apply for.
I'm currently completing my Business foundation degree at DMU and in September I'm going to do my first year at Coventry University on Hospitality & Tourism Management. My sister graduated first class on Business Management yet the only job she could get was at TOPSHOP because she has no experience, which is why I decided to try getting ANY job that pays well in September. But I have no experience, just my foundation degree. The only 'experience' I have on my CV is the experience I gained working in my mother's cosmetics shop which I did things like online promotions, cash handling and customer service so even though I don't have any legit experience, I still know a lot about customer service and how to treat/talk to customers.

I was thinking of applying full time (night shifts) on Primark in September. However, when I applied back in January, I got rejected which I aint gonna lie, it hurt my pride. I prefer to work night shifts so I can do full time (eg retail, receptionist, any hotel job basically) cause honestly I need the money. I was wondering if it will be too hard for me to get a job with no legit experience and only a foundation degree in Business? And if yes, then what can I do or improve in order to get a job?

Thank you in advance.

Well doing some certification from your related field may help you to get a job.
you can join best consultancy from your area.
Do some networking and collect HR email ids and send them your resume.
Also go through this article about how to get a job without experience?
i think it will be helpful for you.
link: How To Get Hired Without Experience?

Quick Reply

Latest