The Student Room Group

Engineering with a foundation year due to lack of A Level Maths?

When i picked my A Levels i wasn't very informed about how important they were for uni choices, and i also had no idea what i wanted to do at uni. I picked biology, chemistry and sociology. I am currently in Y12 and among a few other courses, i am interested in engineering. As i don't do A Level maths, i would have to do a foundation year as part of my course - im currently looking at the MEng course with a foundation year at the uni of manchester.
Basically is this a good idea and do you have any advice for someone in my position + what experience do people have of foundation years?

Also just to clarify i do like maths and did well in it - just didnt realise i would end up needing it :smile: .
Original post by george06
When i picked my A Levels i wasn't very informed about how important they were for uni choices, and i also had no idea what i wanted to do at uni. I picked biology, chemistry and sociology. I am currently in Y12 and among a few other courses, i am interested in engineering. As i don't do A Level maths, i would have to do a foundation year as part of my course - im currently looking at the MEng course with a foundation year at the uni of manchester.
Basically is this a good idea and do you have any advice for someone in my position + what experience do people have of foundation years?

Also just to clarify i do like maths and did well in it - just didnt realise i would end up needing it :smile: .

You can take a foundation year in some universities. I dont know whether Manchester does it. The drawbacks with taking a foundation year is that you are likely to be limited to taking your degree in that university. Foundation years are not usually transferable. They apply only to the university you are taking them and they are not nationally accepted unlike A levels. They class as your bonus year for student funding so if you change your mind halfway through the first year and want to change course/university you might have to fund the first year yourself. They cost a year of student funding so make your degree more expensive so that is something else you need to be aware of. If you are happy with the above then they do help you taking a degree when you havent taken the necessary subject.

The alternative would be look at restarting year 12 taking appropriate subjects or sitting Mathematics in a gap year. What is also worth looking into is that some places for some forms of Engineering require Maths and Physics or Chemistry. Check the entry requirements for the courses and universities that you are interested in. Having the right A levels will allow you a wider choice than taking the foundation year. Perhaps you need to discuss your options with your school or careers adviser.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
You can take a foundation year in some universities. I dont know whether Manchester does it. The drawbacks with taking a foundation year is that you are likely to be limited to taking your degree in that university. Foundation years are not usually transferable. They apply only to the university you are taking them and they are not nationally accepted unlike A levels. They class as your bonus year for student funding so if you change your mind halfway through the first year and want to change course/university you might have to fund the first year yourself. They cost a year of student funding so make your degree more expensive so that is something else you need to be aware of. If you are happy with the above then they do help you taking a degree when you havent taken the necessary subject.

The alternative would be look at restarting year 12 taking appropriate subjects or sitting Mathematics in a gap year. What is also worth looking into is that some places for some forms of Engineering require Maths and Physics or Chemistry. Check the entry requirements for the courses and universities that you are interested in. Having the right A levels will allow you a wider choice than taking the foundation year. Perhaps you need to discuss your options with your school or careers adviser.

Thank you so much for the advice, have you or anyone you know done a foundation year? Just wondering how different it is from normal first year.

Quick Reply

Latest