The Student Room Group

Can doing a foundation year affect you when applying to Masters or PHDS?

I saw someone on here (who seemed trustworthy/reputable) that you need a strong Undergraduate degree at a top institution or decent RG uni in order to increase your likelihood of getitng onto a funded PHD programme at a top uni. Can anyone corroborate if a foundation year would be a hindrance. The foundation year is at a Russel group university

Original post by Confusionn
I saw someone on here (who seemed trustworthy/reputable) that you need a strong Undergraduate degree at a top institution or decent RG uni in order to increase your likelihood of getitng onto a funded PHD programme at a top uni. Can anyone corroborate if a foundation year would be a hindrance. The foundation year is at a Russel group university

I believe that the trustworthy/reputable person is wrong about the top institution or decent RG uni bit. Can you show me the post?
By strong, as in high grade, that part is correct.
Foundation year not hinderance
(edited 7 months ago)

Common sense. Doing a PhD is something only a very few people have the intellectual capability to do. A strong academic background is a very reliable form of evidence that someone has the necessary intellectual ability. Getting someone to fund your PhD further increases the level of competition and a strong academic background is also a very reliable form of evidence of academic ability and that the money will be put to good use.

Not all universities are academically equal.

University/age 18-24 is a period of substantial personal development and growth and some people who didn't flourish academically at school will develop and flourish at University.

So a Foundation year isn't going to be an issue if you catch up and move ahead of your peers during the 3 main undergrad years and end with the 1st/strong 2.1.

Hi,

I'm currently doing a fully-funded PhD at the University of Kent, and whilst I didn't do a foundation year myself, I wouldn't say it would be a hindrance to your application! From my experience, universities are more interested in:

1. Your/your research fit with the university/supervisor
2. The value & uniqueness of your proposed research
3. Your research experience
4. Why you specifically are the best person to do the research

So I would say to focus more on your degree classification as said above; a first class would be most desirable! As well as this, try to get some research experience during your degree, whether that's just doing a master's, assisting PhD students (some universities have a research experience scheme or similar) or getting a research assistant position at the university. A solid, unique research proposal is also important, demonstrating both academic and real-world value (obviously you don't need to worry about this right now if you're going into your foundation/first year). :smile:

I know others who also applied for PhD programmes at the same time as me and were refused due to lack of research experience, and going back to my previous point 4, not being the best person to do the research.

Hope this helps & best of luck with your university journey! :biggrin:

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending