The Student Room Group

I don't know what a levels to choose

Original post by Volibear
Take four and drop one after AS if you wish.

AS levels are being scrapped for my year so the norm is to do 3 a levels. As doing one year of the subject would have no use once it has been dropped.

I don't know what a levels to choose

Take four and drop one after AS if you wish.

AS levels are being scrapped for my year so the norm is to do 3 a levels. As doing one year of the subject would have no use once it has been dropped.
Man I'm glad I finished school before these changes happenes.

Anyway, since you need two sciences, you're going to have to keep Bio and Chem. Determine which of English and Psychology you'd enjoy more and do best in.

Okay thank you!
Pick what you enjoy, what your strengths are but also what would impress a university.

So I'm doing English Literature, Religious Studies and Politics as A Level for hopeful entry into a law degree at Oxbridge, one of the London unis or an Ivy League.

They're essay based and if I score well it proves I can cope with a high level of essays required in a short period of time.
Original post by ohdearstudying
Pick what you enjoy, what your strengths are but also what would impress a university.

So I'm doing English Literature, Religious Studies and Politics as A Level for hopeful entry into a law degree at Oxbridge, one of the London unis or an Ivy League.

They're essay based and if I score well it proves I can cope with a high level of essays required in a short period of time.

I'm stuck between English Literature and Psychology- I enjoy and do well in both. Is there another factor I should consider to help me pick between the two? I want to do a Veterinary nursing and companion animal behaviour degree at Bristol University.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by catherinefowler
I'm stuck between English Literature and Psychology- I enjoy and do well in both. Is there another factor I should consider to help me pick between the two? I want to do a Veterinary nursing and companion animal behaviour degree at Bristol University.

Look at what universities prefer and what you can cope with.

I was looking at doing sociology but it's not as respected of an A Level as English Literature.

English Literature is one of the toughest and most academic A Levele (arguably in a similar arena to Maths, the sciences, History etc). I was told there are 'tiers' of A Levels.

Have a look at the A Levels some unis blacklist

So top tier is from what I have been talking to people:

English Literature, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths, History, Geography and widely spoken foreign languages

The middle tier

Economics, Philosophy, Government and Politics, Religious Studies, Classics, English Language and Literature (nearing bottom tier), Psychology and Sociology.

Bottom tier
Business Studies, Critical Thinking, Home Economics, Law, Travel and Tourism

Also look at what compliments your A Levels which one's are you doing?
Look at what universities prefer and what you can cope with.

I was looking at doing sociology but it's not as respected of an A Level as English Literature.

English Literature is one of the toughest and most academic A Levele (arguably in a similar arena to Maths, the sciences, History etc). I was told there are 'tiers' of A Levels.

Have a look at the A Levels some unis blacklist

So top tier is from what I have been talking to people:

English Literature, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Further Maths, History, Geography and widely spoken foreign languages

The middle tier

Economics, Philosophy, Government and Politics, Religious Studies, Classics, English Language and Literature (nearing bottom tier), Psychology and Sociology.

Bottom tier
Business Studies, Critical Thinking, Home Economics, Law, Travel and Tourism

Also look at what compliments your A Levels which one's are you doing?

English literature seems to be higher tier however I think Psychology would compliment Biology and Chemistry more as it is a more scientific subject.
English literature seems to be higher tier however I think Psychology would compliment Biology and Chemistry more as it is a more scientific subject.

I think psychology would. English Literature is in a different league but you've got 2/3 in that most respected category and I only have 1.

I think it would be smart but psychology requires a lot of work to get the top grades outside the classroom. Also look at the academic performance in your school of each subject.
I’m in the same situation as you I couldn’t decide between politics and English but decided to go for English since it’s a facilitating subject
I think psychology would. English Literature is in a different league but you've got 2/3 in that most respected category and I only have 1.

I think it would be smart but psychology requires a lot of work to get the top grades outside the classroom. Also look at the academic performance in your school of each subject.

I think I will probably stick with Psychology and then perhaps change based on my GCSE results. Thank you!
I think I will probably stick with Psychology and then perhaps change based on my GCSE results. Thank you!

Good luck though!

But i would definitely look at the schools A Level results and if you're aiming for the A*-A which one had smaller class sizes and an overall better grade
Good luck though!

But i would definitely look at the schools A Level results and if you're aiming for the A*-A which one had smaller class sizes and an overall better grade

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest