captainslow12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi, so basically I'm having trouble getting a straight answer with this: how do we find the uncertainty in a gradient using the worst lines (i.e lines passing through the error bars giving the greatest and least possible gradients). I've read in the textbook (cgp) that the uncertainty is simply the range of the worst gradients. However, on the markscheme for last years paper 3 section A, the correct method was to find the range and half it. And to make it more confusing another markscheme says it is just the range. So which is right? Range or range/2?
Ladkus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is plus or minus half the range
captainslow12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladkus)
It is plus or minus half the range
So would you say the textbook is incorrect?
Ladkus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by captainslow12)
So would you say the textbook is incorrect?
What text book is it
captainslow12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ladkus)
What text book is it
CGP AQA Physics year 2 (got pictures of magnetic fields around spheres on the cover)
Rhiaaaaa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Cgp is never wrong
captainslow12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rhiaaaaa)
Cgp is never wrong
So is the markscheme wrong? (Actually, there are mistakes. Apparently neutrons have zero binding energy according to the textbook)
kibi.coco
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aqa is awkward when it comes to physics. It should be plus or minus half the range. Is it possible you misinterpreted the study guide?
captainslow12
Rep:
?
(Original post by kibi.coco)
Aqa is awkward when it comes to physics. It should be plus or minus half the range. Is it possible you misinterpreted the study guide?
Actually I think you may be correct. Now that I've re-read, it says the uncertainty is the difference between the best gradient and worst i.e the average of the difference between the two worst gradients. Ha ha, cheers mate!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (220)
43.65%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.31%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.74%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.03%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.91%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise