The Student Room Group

A levels

Pros and cons of A-level history ?
Reply 1
History can literally be applicable to most UNI degrees. E.g. its a popular a level for those who want to go into Law, Economics, Sociology, Politics, Philosophy. Careers: anything law-related, government/civil service, diplomats, bruh i can go on but u get the point.

Con: if u wanna go into STEM subjects at UNI u prolly should look elsewhere than History.
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by ua12345
Pros and cons of A-level history ?

pros: very very interesting, transferrable skills, fits nicely with most other subjects
cons: content heavy, exam technique and mark schemes can sometimes be a little bit awkward

As someone currently doing A level history in y13, I would definitely say that, in my experience, the positives outweigh any potential negatives :smile:
if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me
Reply 3
Original post by erin11

pros: very very interesting, transferrable skills, fits nicely with most other subjects
cons: content heavy, exam technique and mark schemes can sometimes be a little bit awkward

As someone currently doing A level history in y13, I would definitely say that, in my experience, the positives outweigh any potential negatives :smile:
if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me

Thank you
Which exam board do you do?
The sixth form I’m applying to offers aqa history- tsarist and communist Russia as well as the making of modern Britain
What are the questions like in the exam ? - is it difficult to get an A*?
Thanks
Original post by ua12345
Thank you
Which exam board do you do?
The sixth form I’m applying to offers aqa history- tsarist and communist Russia as well as the making of modern Britain
What are the questions like in the exam ? - is it difficult to get an A*?
Thanks

I do AQA and am also doing tsarist and communist russia.
basically there are 2 exam papers and an NEA coursework.
both exam papers are 2h30min
Paper 1 for you would be russia:

extract question - read 3 extracts from historians interpretations about a particular topic and analyse all 3 and how convincing they are in relation to the question

2 essays from a choice of three - (basically drop 1)

Paper 2 would be Britain:

source analysis question - read 3 sources from historians about a particular topic and analyse all 3 and how valuable they are in relation to the question

NEA is out of 40 marks and is independent historical investigation (an essay around 4,500 words) and is 20% of the A Level grade

It is definitely possible to get an A but I wouldn't say it is particularly easy - according to my teacher, you'd have to get A or A across all 3 components to get an A * overall

Reply 5
Original post by erin11
I do AQA and am also doing tsarist and communist russia.
basically there are 2 exam papers and an NEA coursework.
both exam papers are 2h30min
Paper 1 for you would be russia:

extract question - read 3 extracts from historians interpretations about a particular topic and analyse all 3 and how convincing they are in relation to the question

Paper 2 would be Britain:

source analysis question - read 3 sources from historians about a particular topic and analyse all 3 and how valuable they are in relation to the question

NEA is out of 40 marks and is independent historical investigation (an essay around 4,500 words) and is 20% of the A Level grade

It is definitely possible to get an A but I wouldn't say it is particularly easy - according to my teacher, you'd have to get A or A across all 3 components to get an A * overall

Ok thanks
Yeah i've checked it, it seems pretty content heavy
Which other a-levels do you do?
I am applying to do History, English Lit, Classics and Religious Studies
My sixth form says we have to do 4 and I'm quite good at essays so decided to go for essay subjects. I want to do law - do you think these are good subjects for law?
Original post by ua12345
Ok thanks
Yeah i've checked it, it seems pretty content heavy
Which other a-levels do you do?
I am applying to do History, English Lit, Classics and Religious Studies
My sixth form says we have to do 4 and I'm quite good at essays so decided to go for essay subjects. I want to do law - do you think these are good subjects for law?

I do history, politics and french. don't let the amount of content put you off, it is manageable!!
Your choice of subjects looks good for law :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by erin11
I do history, politics and french. don't let the amount of content put you off, it is manageable!!
Your choice of subjects looks good for law :smile:

Thank you for your help
Original post by ua12345
Thank you for your help

no problem at all, very happy to help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending