The Student Room Group

Sixth form transfer (and rant)

Hello,
I am a Year 12 student currently studying biology, economics and maths at a college. My current place of study has made me feel the upmost regret in picking it, since the teachers do not care about the students grades (happy with Bs and Cs), cannot teach whatsoever, yet expect our exam results to constantly improve, and is extremely unorganised. We barely get any supercurricular opportunities, since the supercurricular team never posts any opportunities on teams to begin with, and when they do arrange some form of opportunity, you are forced to partake, even if it has nothing to do with your current a levels. Moreover, those who aim for top grades (myself included) get penalised by certain teachers from dropping a few percentages in a mini test, but when it comes to the lower grades students, they are praised for improving in the slightest. Teaching for 5 minutes then being expected to complete textbook questions for the next hour and a half is not how you teach! Moreover, asking for any advice as a high aiming students causes teachers to belittle your academic ability! Not just that, but some of the students are extremely unserious when it comes to their education, constantly disrupting the class and being a nuisance in general. I feel quite unsafe with the amount of students vaping outside the building and being an ethnic minority, I still get weird looks from the majority, which have only started bugging me recently, due to the worsening year ahead.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out. My mental health is declining here so I have tried to call up many sixth forms, including ones my friends have gotten into and other sixth forms, since they seem much more academically focused and organised. Unfortunately, since it is an awkward time during the year, I was told that many sixth forms were all full. So I am wondering whether to wait till Year 13 and enquire or constantly keep pestering the sixth forms to add me to a waiting list, since I would hate to stay in my current college much longer. I do aim to reach my full academic potential so any help in my situation would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jokoala
Hello,
I am a Year 12 student currently studying biology, economics and maths at a college. My current place of study has made me feel the upmost regret in picking it, since the teachers do not care about the students grades (happy with Bs and Cs), cannot teach whatsoever, yet expect our exam results to constantly improve, and is extremely unorganised. We barely get any supercurricular opportunities, since the supercurricular team never posts any opportunities on teams to begin with, and when they do arrange some form of opportunity, you are forced to partake, even if it has nothing to do with your current a levels. Moreover, those who aim for top grades (myself included) get penalised by certain teachers from dropping a few percentages in a mini test, but when it comes to the lower grades students, they are praised for improving in the slightest. Teaching for 5 minutes then being expected to complete textbook questions for the next hour and a half is not how you teach! Moreover, asking for any advice as a high aiming students causes teachers to belittle your academic ability! Not just that, but some of the students are extremely unserious when it comes to their education, constantly disrupting the class and being a nuisance in general. I feel quite unsafe with the amount of students vaping outside the building and being an ethnic minority, I still get weird looks from the majority, which have only started bugging me recently, due to the worsening year ahead.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out. My mental health is declining here so I have tried to call up many sixth forms, including ones my friends have gotten into and other sixth forms, since they seem much more academically focused and organised. Unfortunately, since it is an awkward time during the year, I was told that many sixth forms were all full. So I am wondering whether to wait till Year 13 and enquire or constantly keep pestering the sixth forms to add me to a waiting list, since I would hate to stay in my current college much longer. I do aim to reach my full academic potential so any help in my situation would be greatly appreciated!

If it is really that bad, I suggest (if you can) try and apply to another sixth form in Year 13 but do some research on the ones you apply to e.g. average grades in 2023 and their Ofsted rating before applying and finding out whether that college is right for you or not.

I hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Usyy
If it is really that bad, I suggest (if you can) try and apply to another sixth form in Year 13 but do some research on the ones you apply to e.g. average grades in 2023 and their Ofsted rating before applying and finding out whether that college is right for you or not.

I hope this helps!

Thabk you for the reply! I was thinking of moving to my friend's sixth form since she is doing the exact same subjects as I am. I don't think it'd be too much of an issue to catch up, since my biology exam board is the same as hers. Also, maths doesn't seem much of an issue either, since we've been learning out of the edexcel exam board (my friend's) instead of the one we should be learning from - aqa. However, I am a little concerned for economics, as I do ocr and she does edexcel, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue if I do the extra learning!

I was told to call back in September, but I'm anxious since they are currently at full capacity. I suppose they don't do it by the spaces in the class, but the number of students in the year group as a whole, as my friend's classes are pretty empty. Perhaps I should hold out until my friend tells me when someone drops out, since I figure this is the only thing stopping me from moving to her school.
Reply 3
Original post by Jokoala
Thabk you for the reply! I was thinking of moving to my friend's sixth form since she is doing the exact same subjects as I am. I don't think it'd be too much of an issue to catch up, since my biology exam board is the same as hers. Also, maths doesn't seem much of an issue either, since we've been learning out of the edexcel exam board (my friend's) instead of the one we should be learning from - aqa. However, I am a little concerned for economics, as I do ocr and she does edexcel, but it shouldn't be too much of an issue if I do the extra learning!

I was told to call back in September, but I'm anxious since they are currently at full capacity. I suppose they don't do it by the spaces in the class, but the number of students in the year group as a whole, as my friend's classes are pretty empty. Perhaps I should hold out until my friend tells me when someone drops out, since I figure this is the only thing stopping me from moving to her school.

Ring up and ask then if they do have space especially if your friends classes are empty and apply and hopefully it should work out😊
Reply 4
Original post by Usyy
Ring up and ask then if they do have space especially if your friends classes are empty and apply and hopefully it should work out😊

My friend told me she will tell me if someone drops out by the end of this year, since I was told that would be the only way possible for me to join! Hopefully I get into the school 🤞, but worst case scenario is that I'd just have to pull through the next year. 😔
Reply 5
Original post by Jokoala
My friend told me she will tell me if someone drops out by the end of this year, since I was told that would be the only way possible for me to join! Hopefully I get into the school 🤞, but worst case scenario is that I'd just have to pull through the next year. 😔

Hopefully you'll get it. Don't stress about it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending