The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official OXFORD 2019 Postgraduate Applicants thread

The Cambridge one is up and stuck, no point in dilly-dallying.

Admittedly, it may be slightly early, but I expect some of us are receiving results (if only provisional) and are beginning to form an idea of whether we want to apply for a postgraduate course.

I am just about coming to the end of my 3rd year, and it looks like I'm deadset for having the grades I need to make it for Oxford. The only obstacles in my way are results in my last two modules. I've been told that I've done "well" in one and I've been reassured that I should do well in the other. I'd have to finish these modules with a new low in grades to prevent me from getting a 1st, are calculated.

Taking inspiration from other threads, I thought it'd be useful if we incorporated this for first-time posters to the thread to break the ice:

- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Prospective College:
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities:

Mine are:

- Current University: London
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: Development Studies, Politics (Comparative Government), and possibly Economics all MPhil
- Prospective College: Whoever has the most funding for me
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Dissertation was an institutional and econometric analysis on the impacts of social policy. A bunch of ECs including radio and teaching. Keenly interested in behavioural economics, prospect theory, and decision making (presented at a conference, more boring than you'd expect :P)

Best of luck to everyone!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi all, not sure if anybody has started their preparation for applications of 2019 entry into Oxford and thought I’d start this thread as a platform for prospective applicants to discuss any application-related issues.

Usually, the application will start from 3rd Sept 2018 for most of the postgrad programmes available in Oxford. That means there are less than three months to go before starting applications for 2019 enrollment.

Personally I’m interested in applying for MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy. If anyone is applying to the same programme, I need to get in touch with you!!!

Haha, but also, applicants to all programmes are welcome to share their concerns here! All the best to us all!!
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
I would like to apply for the Msc in Politics Research, but I'm terrified by two things. First, writing two new essays for submission will be daunting, as, despite receiving a first, my grammar was terrible prior to becoming an English teacher. Secondly, despite savings, I simply cannot the fees and living costs without a substantial scholarship; it would kill to receive an offer that I could not accept.
Reply 3
Hi😄
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Just a Bloke
I would like to apply for the Msc in Politics Research, but I'm terrified by two things. First, writing two new essays for submission will be daunting, as, despite receiving a first, my grammar was terrible prior to becoming an English teacher. Secondly, despite savings, I simply cannot the fees and living costs without a substantial scholarship; it would kill to receive an offer that I could not accept.

Hi Just a Bloke, I think you’ve got enough credentials to be a successful applicant. It never hurts to apply first right? Btw, you don’t have to write two new ones. I believe a bit of touch-up of your courseworks would do the tick.😄
Original post by Qnnnn817
Hi Just a Bloke, I think you’ve got enough credentials to be a successful applicant. It never hurts to apply first right? Btw, you don’t have to write two new ones. I believe a bit of touch-up of your courseworks would do the tick.😄

Thank you for being so supportive! Another issue is that practically none of my essays, aside from first year undergrad, were 2000 words or less - what the department asks for. Practically all were 3-5000 words. They do allow snippets from a larger piece of work, but I'll have to think whether that could work.
Reply 6
Original post by Just a Bloke

Btw, sorry that I assumed everybody keeps a copy of their uni courseworks. In your case, I guess it won’t be a problem for you to write new ones given your academic record~

Willing to hear more about your background😄
Reply 7
Hi all, not sure if anybody has started their preparation for applications of 2019 entry into Oxford and thought I’d start this thread as a platform for prospective applicants to discuss any application-related issues.

Usually, the application will start from 3rd Sept 2018 for most of the postgrad programmes available in Oxford. That means there are less than three months to go before starting applications for 2019 enrollment.

Personally I’m interested in applying for MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy. If anyone is applying to the same programme, I need to get in touch with you!!!

Haha, but also, applicants to all programmes are welcome to share their concerns here! All the best to us all!!

Thanks for starting this thread, Qnnnn817! I am hoping to apply for MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy as well. I would be lying if I said I was not nervous.
Reply 8
Hi snkn,happy to find someone applying to the same course! I feel more and more nervous as the application date approaches. What’s your background? If I may ask
Reply 9
I have a Bachelor's in Political Science and am currently pursuing my MA in IR. What about you?
Reply 10
Hey!
Thanks for creating this thread!
I really want to apply for MPhil in Political theory but have little work experience in this field. I love studying it and know academic writing in this field is what i wish to pursue. But I know I wont get very far with such poor work experience in this realm (albeit, moderately satisfactory academic background).
Any suggestions? x
Original post by u97
Hey!
Thanks for creating this thread!
I really want to apply for MPhil in Political theory but have little work experience in this field. I love studying it and know academic writing in this field is what i wish to pursue. But I know I wont get very far with such poor work experience in this realm (albeit, moderately satisfactory academic background).
Any suggestions? x

Hi there, thank you for joining our discussion. I wouldn’t worry too much about work experience tbh. Most research institutes or think tanks wouldn’t take undergrad as researchers anyway. You shouldn’t be marked down by this, I reckon. Having said this, though I’m in no position to give suggestion whatsoever, I think it would be nice if you have a clear research interest and could incorporate it into your personal statement. I imagine that would definitely demonstrate your passion and understanding of the programme you are applying. Hope this helps. Lastly, do you mind telling us abt your edu background? Cheers.
- Current Course: BSc Theoretcal Physics
- Achieved / Expected Grade: Expected 1st (got in the high 80s in both first and second year)
- Prospective Course: MSc Mathematical and Theoretical Physics
- Prospective College: Keble

Anyone else thinking of applying to the same course or college? :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jgradschool
The Cambridge one is up and stuck, no point in dilly-dallying.

Admittedly, it may be slightly early, but I expect some of us are receiving results (if only provisional) and are beginning to form an idea of whether we want to apply for a postgraduate course.

I am just about coming to the end of my 3rd year, and it looks like I'm deadset for having the grades I need to make it for Oxford. The only obstacles in my way are results in my last two modules. I've been told that I've done "well" in one and I've been reassured that I should do well in the other. I'd have to finish these modules with a new low in grades to prevent me from getting a 1st, are calculated.

Taking inspiration from other threads, I thought it'd be useful if we incorporated this for first-time posters to the thread to break the ice:

- Current University:
- Achieved (Expected) Grade:
- Prospective Course:
- Prospective College:
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities:

Mine are:

- Current University: London
- Achieved (Expected) Grade: 1st
- Prospective Course: Development Studies, Politics (Comparative Government), and possibly Economics all MPhil
- Prospective College: Whoever has the most funding for me
- Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: Dissertation was an institutional and econometric analysis on the impacts of social policy. A bunch of ECs including radio and teaching. Keenly interested in behavioural economics, prospect theory, and decision making (presented at a conference, more boring than you'd expect :P)

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi Jgradschool, thanks for your input and apologies for such a late response. I didn’t see your reply until now! Sorry for this.

I can tell you must be a really strong and qualified candidate. To follow what you have established, some info about me:

-Curren University: SOAS, London(BA Politics and IR)
-Achieved(Expected) Grade: 1st( not a high 1st tho)
-Prospective Course: MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy
-Prospective College: Balliol? Christ Church? Honestly I would be willing to join any one.
-Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: did an internship with EY and got a return offer; was currently a member of Deloitte Club China; had international education background( born and raised in China until turning 15, got a full scholarship to study in Singapore and studied in Singapore for 7 years before coming to the UK)

Some doubts I wish to clarify:
1. I understand my experience is not necessarily a plus for my application as it could be deemed as not closely relevant( guess I’ll have to work harder on personal statement)

2. If my school will not issue any predicted results, and has a slightly different way of doing degree classification, will the fact that I didn’t get a first for all my 2nd year modules put me at an disadvantage as compared to other candidates? ( still on track of 1st class Honours overall tho)

3. How shall I reconcile the discrepancy between the marking schemes in my uni vs in Oxford? This is relevant for preparing written work samples as I plan to draw from my courseworks with good marks and modify them to be used for this purpose.I heard SOAS and LSE have been quite strict towards marking essays, but since essays are marked on quite a subjective basis, will Oxford mark me down if they deem, say SOAS has a more lenient marking scheme than Oxford itself, hence mark me down for not giving them an essay as good as their standard but was given a good mark by my tutors?(which might not be necessarily true tho)

—the reason I’m asking this is becos this would very much give me a more accurate gauge of my chances.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with info and questions. Wish us all the best! Look forward to your reply.
Hi Jgradschool, thanks for your input and apologies for such a late response. I didn’t see your reply until now! Sorry for this.

I can tell you must be a really strong and qualified candidate. To follow what you have established, some info about me:

-Current University: SOAS, London(BA Politics and IR)
-Achieved(Expected) Grade: 1st( not a high 1st tho)
-Prospective Course: MSc Global Governance and Diplomacy
-Prospective College: Balliol? Christ Church? Honestly I would be willing to join any one.
-Fun fact/Extra Curricular activities: did an internship with EY and got a return offer; was currently a member of Deloitte Club China; had international education background( born and raised in China until turning 15, got a full scholarship to study in Singapore and studied in Singapore for 7 years before coming to the UK)

Some doubts I wish to clarify:
1. I understand my experience is not necessarily a plus for my application as it could be deemed as not closely relevant( guess I’ll have to work harder on personal statement)

2. If my school will not issue any predicted results, and has a slightly different way of doing degree classification, will the fact that I didn’t get a first for all my 2nd year modules put me at an disadvantage as compared to other candidates? ( still on track of 1st class Honours overall tho)

3. How shall I reconcile the discrepancy between the marking schemes in my uni vs in Oxford? This is relevant for preparing written work samples as I plan to draw from my courseworks with good marks and modify them to be used for this purpose.I heard SOAS and LSE have been quite strict towards marking essays, but since essays are marked on quite a subjective basis, will Oxford mark me down if they deem, say SOAS has a more lenient marking scheme than Oxford itself, hence mark me down for not giving them an essay as good as their standard but was given a good mark by my tutors?(which might not be necessarily true tho)

—the reason I’m asking this is becos this would very much give me a more accurate gauge of my chances.

Sorry for bombarding you guys with info and questions. Wish us all the best! Look forward to your reply.

No worries with the questions. I graduated with a 1st and am now working in FinTech. After starting work I swore off applying to grad school for a bit but am now considering applying again. I wouldn't say I'm a really strong candidate, I'm just a candidate. I averaged 73% in my last year, which is good, but there will be people with better grades.

1. It all depends on how you frame your experience. For example, a friend of mine is working for EY in India and is working on projects with senior government officials. If it's experience along those lines or you can explain how your work will help you analyse things it will help. If you did consulting you can discuss how whichever industry you worked with was impacted by government or trade for x,y, or z reason. If you did assurance or something along those lines it's slightly less helpful .

2. I don't think many universities give formal predictions, instead lecturers can give an indication of what they think you'll get based on your performance in their module or your transcript.

3. Don't worry about grading, SOAS has good marking in my experience. I've had module conveners who were also teaching/taught modules at SOAS and LSE, there is little to no difference between the two and the majority of marking I received during my degree. If anything, the one from LSE was more lenient. You'll be fine. You don't need to reconcile the marking between the two. Just submit whatever you think is your best work.

I hope this helps and best of luck!

I'll post more and apply if I become disenchanted with my job :P
Hey all, just a quick question - am I right in thinking that Oxford don't look at any applications until the deadline for the course has passed, so you're not at any advantage for submitting an application early? TIA :smile:
Yes, I think you're right - I've read that same information too although I'm not sure if that's dependant on the course/department/faculty so I'd probably check on the course page from Sep 3rd onwards :smile: Also hoping to apply to Oxford soon!
Original post by Tinternet
Yes, I think you're right - I've read that same information too although I'm not sure if that's dependant on the course/department/faculty so I'd probably check on the course page from Sep 3rd onwards :smile: Also hoping to apply to Oxford soon!

Thank you so much! :smile: x
I'm starting to write my personal statements at the moment. Should be a busy bank holiday weekend with this, work, and the house to clean up :colondollar:. Anyone else written or started writing theirs yet?
Original post by Jgradschool
I'm starting to write my personal statements at the moment. Should be a busy bank holiday weekend with this, work, and the house to clean up :colondollar:. Anyone else written or started writing theirs yet?

That sounds almost exactly like my plan for this weekend too! I've tried to draft one and the CV, but it's so hard haha, and makes me feel like I haven't done anything! :frown:

Quick Reply