The Student Room Group

Parents unhappy about set 2 out of 7

I am at a super selective grammar and until now-year 8, we have been set in two halves of three sets. I have been set 1 so far. However next year we will be set together and there will be 7 sets. I have found out I will be in set 2. My mum is quite unhappy and keeps going on about how I need to move to set 1 next year. What should I tell her to help her come to terms with it?
Original post by maths567
I am at a super selective grammar and until now-year 8, we have been set in two halves of three sets. I have been set 1 so far. However next year we will be set together and there will be 7 sets. I have found out I will be in set 2. My mum is quite unhappy and keeps going on about how I need to move to set 1 next year. What should I tell her to help her come to terms with it?

Maybe try pointing out to her that cause it’s so selective it’s a case of they can’t put everyone in top set who should be, there is probably no difference between set 1 and 2 and they may well have picked based on people they know work well (or not well!) together.
Also this may be a stupid point but are you sure the sets are based on ability and not random or by surname cause I was upset when I was in C ( I assumed A good set D bad set!) until I realised that!

And even if it is ability based you are still going to do amazing if you keep working hard. Sets may well be fixed so don’t worry if you can’t move up,
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Snoozinghamster
Maybe try pointing out to her that cause it’s so selective it’s a case of they can’t put everyone in top set who should be, there is probably no difference between set 1 and 2 and they may well have picked based on people they know work well (or not well!) together.
Also this may be a stupid point but are you sure the sets are based on ability and not random or by surname cause I was upset when I was in C ( I assumed A good set D bad set!) until I realised that!

And even if it is ability based you are still going to do amazing if you keep working hard. Sets may well be fixed so don’t worry if you can’t move up,

Thank you for your reply. It is based purely on test results but I’ll try telling my mum that it is very selective.
Original post by maths567
Thank you for your reply. It is based purely on test results but I’ll try telling my mum that it is very selective.

Ahh thought that was probably the case but it was worth hoping. But out of 7 sets to be in the second one is still really good when you consider that most people will be set 1 people in other schools.
If the sets are based across all exams it could have been a simple weakness in one subject.

There’s nothing wrong not being in the top set though!

Good luck with your mum!
I never got an 8 in set one. I got moved down to set two (due to my confidence). Never got below an 8.

Quick Reply

Latest