The Student Room Group

Is it possible as a first year student to travel to uni from Liverpool to Manchester?

Hi, due to financial reasons I cannot afford to live in student accommodation in Manchester for 1st year with the amount of loan I will receive. If I booked uni accommodation I would have to pay £170 a week and would only have £30 a week left for food, I wouldn't be able to buy myself anything and I wouldn't be able to go out anywhere, I would just be stuck in my room all day. I have already looked into grants, scholarships ect. and contacted student finance to see if I qualify for extra funding - annoyingly my parents income is slightly over the limit to qualify so I can't get any extra funding.
After considering all options, I would have much more spare money if I commuted, I was just wondering if any students that have attended any university in Manchester have done this before and what it was like for them.
I know it will be hard to commute from Liverpool especially will the unreliability of the Northern Rail service and strikes, but I would rather travel to get to a uni that I would be happy at rather than stay at one close to home and be unhappy.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
It depends on your course and which Manchester University, I think. Man Met isn’t too far from Oxford Road, which is about an hour from Liverpool on the train. If you’re only going in a couple of days a week I think that’s doable, but you’ve just got to consider it you want that sort of commute twice or three times a week or not. It can really take a lot out of your day if that much travel is a necessity, but I think it could be fine. Especially if it’s the more financially viable option for you.
Reply 2
Original post by Emily_JB
It depends on your course and which Manchester University, I think. Man Met isn’t too far from Oxford Road, which is about an hour from Liverpool on the train. If you’re only going in a couple of days a week I think that’s doable, but you’ve just got to consider it you want that sort of commute twice or three times a week or not. It can really take a lot out of your day if that much travel is a necessity, but I think it could be fine. Especially if it’s the more financially viable option for you.

I've applied for Business Management at Manchester Metropolitian University (3 year course), I would only plan on commuting for 1st year because I'm hoping I will be able to get a job and save up some more money to live in Manchester for Year 2 and Year 3 which I'm assuming are the most important years due to a heavier workloads and those years have more importance for your final degree marks. I spoke to someone today at the admissions department and they said for this year currently Year 1 students are only required to go in 3 times per week for 4 hours, they said it is the typical timetable for this course - I think this would be doable because 3/7 days a week I would have to commute which isn't that bad. However, they said they can't guarantee it would be the same next year and I am worried in case I decided to live at home and then the timetable changed to 5 days a week or 4 days because that would be very tiring. But at the same time I wouldn't have to stress about paying rent, paying for food or having no money to do things/go out.
Original post by h_a_p_p_y
Hi, due to financial reasons I cannot afford to live in student accommodation in Manchester for 1st year with the amount of loan I will receive. If I booked uni accommodation I would have to pay £170 a week and would only have £30 a week left for food, I wouldn't be able to buy myself anything and I wouldn't be able to go out anywhere, I would just be stuck in my room all day. I have already looked into grants, scholarships ect. and contacted student finance to see if I qualify for extra funding - annoyingly my parents income is slightly over the limit to qualify so I can't get any extra funding.
After considering all options, I would have much more spare money if I commuted, I was just wondering if any students that have attended any university in Manchester have done this before and what it was like for them.
I know it will be hard to commute from Liverpool especially will the unreliability of the Northern Rail service and strikes, but I would rather travel to get to a uni that I would be happy at rather than stay at one close to home and be unhappy.

Do your parents realise that they are expected to top up your maintenance loan if you haven't been awarded the full amount? Get your parents to read the following article:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-england-plan-5/
Reply 4
Short answer, yes. I did an hour commute for the entirety of my degree and I know students now that go into Manchester from Liverpool 3 or 4 days a week. My work commute is about that, too - it is entirely doable.
Reply 5
Original post by normaw
Do your parents realise that they are expected to top up your maintenance loan if you haven't been awarded the full amount? Get your parents to read the following article:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-loans-england-plan-5/

In the most respectful way possible, it isn't as simple as that for a lot of families nowadays, every student has a different financial circumstance so it isn't as simple as making parents read an article and then they give you as much money as you want for university. My parents said they would help as much as they could but I know for a fact that they won't be able to help a lot at all because they just simply can't afford to do that. I will get not too far from the maximum amount of loan but regardless it still isn't enough to cover rent costs in Manchester at the moment. That is why I was asking for commuting advice for year 1 at least until I can create my own financial income to contribute to living costs.
Reply 6
Original post by gjd800
Short answer, yes. I did an hour commute for the entirety of my degree and I know students now that go into Manchester from Liverpool 3 or 4 days a week. My work commute is about that, too - it is entirely doable.

This is really useful thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending