The Student Room Group

WJEC A2 Physics Unit 4: Fields and Options 8th June 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Graphitenexus
Yeah the question told you what the value should be didn’t it?
Yeah it did but the way i managed to find it was odd to say the least so i wasnt very confident
I used just area by accident instead of volume rip me that’s irritating

It was a bit cheeky to include information required for part(d) into part(c) as opposed to the beginning of the question, really annoying :/
Original post by BorisThePug
Yeah it did but the way i managed to find it was odd to say the least so i wasnt very confident

There were a lot of places where I found stuff in odd methods but they ended up right. Overall I’d say it was just a very odd paper
How the **** do you calculate those? Don’t think
I’ve ever seen that before

I saw it in a past paper, I still don't quite understand it. Basically Vrot and Vrecessional add to make Vradial, the velocity towards you or away iirc, not too sure tbh. I think I got that a bit wrong
I thought the whole of question 2 was tricky. For the electrostatic force and gravitational force did you check that Fr^2 was the same for both?
I used just area by accident instead of volume rip me that’s irritating

I did the same as well hahaha
Original post by cowseatmilk
I thought the whole of question 2 was tricky. For the electrostatic force and gravitational force did you check that Fr^2 was the same for both?

Yeah, did you get around 1.5*10^-10 and 1.21*10^10?
Original post by Welshstig
I saw it in a past paper, I still don't quite understand it. Basically Vrot and Vrecessional add to make Vradial, the velocity towards you or away iirc, not too sure tbh. I think I got that a bit wrong

I’ve seen something similar in a past paper. I worked out the velocities for the two shifts, found the mean of those as one of the two answers and then did the difference between the mean and either of them as the second answer but I didn’t know which was which or if that’s even right at all - that’s just all I remembered from that past paper

I’m hoping they’d accept a few methods for that because I just worked them out and said subtracting would be = 0.

Yes I did! I thought I messed that one up.

Did you get that gravitational force was larger than the electrostatic force for the question asking if the charge would be large enough for something or other?
(edited 5 years ago)
Did you get that gravitational force was larger than the electrostatic force for the question asking if the charge would be large enough for something or other?

Pretty much

Found that bit really hard. I worked out v for both, and said blue shift = recessional velocity - rotational, and red shift = Recessional + rotational. I worked out the difference and divided by two for rotational and then just substituted that in for Recessional. Don’t know if working out the difference was the right thing to do.
Pretty much

And for the last part of the first question what did you get as the resistance?
Did anyone else get a ridiculously small percentage like times 10^-38??

Yeah I did, for that electron question. I think mines a bit off though as I used nucleon number of 2 rather than 1
Yeah I did, for that electron question. I think mines a bit off though as I used nucleon number of 2 rather than 1

Dw I did the same. We should get method marks though

Yeah I think so, I worked out number of electrons lost/(mass of sun/mass of hydrogen atom x Mass of an electron)
And for the last part of the first question what did you get as the resistance?

4444.44 ohms
Original post by AverageJoe77
Yeah I think so, I worked out number of electrons lost/(mass of sun/mass of hydrogen atom x Mass of an electron)

I did n = m/molar mass to get number of moles, multiplied by Avogadros constant to get number of molecules and then said one electron per molecule. Then did the charge / e to get number of electrons lost. Then calculated percentage.

Given its physics not chemistry I would’ve hoped they’d tell you hydrogen’s nucleon and proton numbers :’(
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending