The Student Room Group

Warwick Rape Joke Students- 3 expelled 2 banned for a year, rest fined.

https://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2018/06/11/three-students-in-the-warwick-boys-group-chat-have-been-banned-from-campus-as-university-conclude-investigation-29555

One student has been banned for life and two more have been banned for ten years

The University of Warwick have concluded their investigation into the Warwick boys group chat and have banned one student from campus for life and another two students for ten years.
The investigation has made a decision on all eleven boys involved in the Warwick boys group chat that contained rape threats and rape jokes.
The Warwick Boar have also said two more students have been told to immediately withdraw from Warwick University for a year and have also been given fines as well as a number of other disciplinary measures.
A further three students in the group chat have also received fines and other disciplinary penalties.
The case of one of the boys was found to be "not proven" by the university’s Major Disciplinary Committee, and two of the originally accused students were exonerated at an early stage of the process.
This accounts for all eleven male students who were part of the Warwick boys group chat.

Report from the Boar
https://theboar.org/2018/06/student-banned-life-group-chat/

This was just an update from the previous thread

For those not familiar

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5352510#primary_content

https://theboar.org/2018/05/warwick-...ily-suspended/
https://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2018/0...oup-chat-28392

e. https://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2018/0...oup-chat-28615
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think any reasonable person would think these kids deserve to have their life messed up by telling jokes.

The university is just bowing to public pressure.

I very much doubt this is going to stop people from telling jokes like this. It's just a matter of whether big brother will find out thanks to technology..
Reply 2
Original post by Joe312
I don't think any reasonable person would think these kids deserve to have their life messed up by telling jokes.

I very much doubt this is going to stop people from telling jokes like this. It's just a matter of whether big brother will find out thanks to technology..

Well some of the so called jokes were about other students, whio didnt find jokes about them being raped funny.

You mean the public pressure to enforce its own rules against misogyny, racism and anti semitism?

Maybe it wont stop them but it will make some think again and they will know the consequences if they get caught. I would think there are more interesting things to do at uni
I hate this, “ohhh it’s a jooooke, they were joking”

Last time I checked jokes were meant to be funny 🧐. People need to understand that there are consequences for their actions.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger

Well some of the so called jokes were about other students, whio didnt find jokes about them being raped funny.

You mean the public pressure to enforce its own rules against misogyny, racism and anti semitism?

Maybe it wont stop them but it will make some think again and they will know the consequences if they get caught. I would think there are more interesting things to do at uni

Those other students not finding the jokes funny does not justify this punishment.

The 'public pressure' is to overreact to an embarrassing level because these days a huge twitter mob of triggered people with no lives are waiting to jump on anyone they can satisfy themselves with by screaming about racism, sexism, etc.

Yes there are more interesting things to do at a uni. Therefore they should be banned? Ridiculous.
Reply 5
Original post by MajorFader

Last time I checked jokes were meant to be funny 🧐. People need to understand that there are consequences for their actions.

What counts as funny is subjective. You are free to have your opinion about what's funny, but it's disgusting to suggest you should be able to ban anyone with a different opinion.
Original post by Joe312

Can you explain how making threats of mutilating someone's genitals constitues a joke?
From the first link I was questioning the punishment, but take a look here:
https://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2018/05/09/named-and-pictured-the-warwick-boys-who-made-rape-jokes-in-their-group-chat-28615
Think it's a little more justified now.
Reply 8
Original post by MajorFader

Maybe read the article.
Reply 9
Original post by Sulfolobus
Can you explain how making threats of mutilating someone's genitals constitues a joke?

Anything can constitute a joke, depending on the person's intention.

Personally, I wouldn't make a joke like that. However, I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that just because it's not to my taste, that it can't be to anyone else's taste either.
Reply 10
Original post by Joe312
What counts as funny is subjective. You are free to have your opinion about what's funny, but it's disgusting to suggest you should be able to ban anyone with a different opinion.

Not where you sign up to agree to abide by the rules of the university. Making comments that are racists, anti semitic and raping identified students is never going to go down well. have you been following this case and the previous threads about it plus what they actually said. You dont appear to have.
From the first link I was questioning the punishment, but take a look here:
https://thetab.com/uk/warwick/2018/05/09/named-and-pictured-the-warwick-boys-who-made-rape-jokes-in-their-group-chat-28615
Think it's a little more justified now.

ewww just disgusting. did they think that their little chats were private ?

smh
Reply 12
Not where you sign up to agree to abide by the rules of the university. Making comments that are racists, anti semitic and raping identified students is never going to go down well. have you been following this case and the previous threads about it plus what they actually said. You dont appear to have.

I had a quick look over the comments they made yes. Seemed like normal elitist frat boy trash to me.

So what? You're yet to explain how they deserve to have their lives messed up for telling jokes.

You don't like these guys. That's fine. However you're letting bureaucracies commit abuses of power just because it's against people you don't like. Big mistake.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by Joe312
I had a quick look over the comments they made yes. Seemed like normal elitist frat boy trash to me.

So what? You're yet to explain how they deserve to have their lives messed up for telling jokes.

If your behaviour impacts on other students and breaks the policies of the university, then yes. They should have thought about that before.
If you cant follow and respect the rules of the uni, then maybe dont join.

The Death Penalty hasn't stopped murder.

I agree these students were offensive, rude and deserved to have something happen. However, they were also young, stupid and impulsive.

I am so glad I didn't grow up in an age where every word I said could and would be recorded for all eternity.
Reply 15
If your behaviour impacts on other students and breaks the policies of the university, then yes. They should have thought about that before.
If you cant follow and respect the rules of the uni, then maybe dont join.

I don't think you can hide behind the policies to make your point. In fact, it's an extremely weak argument if that's all you are relying on.

Something shouldn't be wrong BECAUSE it's against policy

Something should be against policy BECAUSE it's wrong

Explain to me why people deserve to have their lives messed up like this for telling jokes. And don't just say 'because it's against policy'. Cause if that's all you've got, maybe it shouldn't be.
Had a read over it, yeah i'd expect to be drop kicked out of education or work with that coming to light, you need to be a bit soft in the brain to think otherwise. No ones messing up their lives either, they're being kicked out a uni for being appalling *shrug* they can do something else or apply to other unis.
You whippersnappers with your instachats and snapbooks think you are SO CLEVER. *shakes fist* Git off ma lawn!
Original post by Joe312
Anything can constitute a joke, depending on the person's intention.

Personally, I wouldn't make a joke like that. However, I'm not arrogant enough to suggest that just because it's not to my taste, that it can't be to anyone else's taste either.

When you grow up and enter the adult world you'll understand that dismissing such abusive things as jokes does not work.

These lads failed to appreciate that and will pay the consequences for their actions.
Reply 19
Original post by ThatOldGuy
The Death Penalty hasn't stopped murder.

I agree these students were offensive, rude and deserved to have something happen. However, they were also young, stupid and impulsive.

I am so glad I didn't grow up in an age where every word I said could and would be recorded for all eternity.

It wasnt meant to stop it completely. It is a deterrent though about what is acceptable behaviour.

It wasnt just one or two comments though it was 28 pages worth, with portions of it being about female students known to them.

I dont see why the university should tolerate it without sanction, when it is contrary to its own values and policies and you also have the welfare of the rest of the student community to consider.

Quick Reply