The Student Room Group

Warwick Rape Joke Students- 3 expelled 2 banned for a year, rest fined.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Axiomasher
Are you suggesting that rape and suggestions as to rape will one day be accepted across wider society as homosexuality has been? I don't see the association. Personally I think 'frat boys' should crowd-fund their own university where they can say what they like all day long, no rules, no consequences.

Yes, that’s exactly what I was getting at 🙄.
Original post by whatsprogressive
How does it have an impact on the public and "wider student body" when they were intending to keep it private?...

Intention of privacy doesn't matter, once it has become public then it has consequences, the university is not going to stick its fingers in its ears or cover its eyes when such things come to light, because things were said privately. Once the cat is out of the bag...
Original post by limetang
Yes, that’s exactly what I was getting at 🙄.

If one day, and I hope I'm long dead when that day comes, rape and casual discussions about raping people, are acceptable to society in a general sense, then university rules will probably also have changed correspondingly. You talk as if institutional rules and expectations should count for nothing in these circumstances, that what a student does or says should be exempt from any penalty if their words or actions were intended to be private, no matter what comes to light about their values or intentions.
Intention of privacy doesn't matter, once it has become public then it has consequences, the university is not going to stick its fingers in its ears or cover its eyes when such things come to light, because things were said privately. Once the cat is out of the bag...

The whistleblower should be prosecuted under your thinking.
I don't even know what you're trying to argue now. These men were repeatedly suggesting to one-another that they should rape specific students at their university, this was clearly contrary to the personal behaviour and values expected of members of the institution. They suffered the penalty. You don't have anywhere to go on this. You join a club, you're subject to the rules of the club, you breach the rules of the club and get found out then you have to suffer the consequences in accordance with the club's rules. What's so hard to understand? You clearly care more for these horrible (ex) students than for the welfare, physical and psychological, of female students who were targeted. You are despicable.

Lol I think it’s you who is despicable for deliberately failing to engage with my arguments.

You are the kind of person who would lynch someone for holding neo-nazi beliefs, but then when someone like me steps in to point out how disproportionate that punishment is, you turn around and say I don’t care about the feelings of Jews and I’m despicable for defending the neo-Nazi. You have disgusting sanctimonious bloodlust and you’re using people society rightly finds abhorrent to disguise that.

Your argument here would result in half the country being expelled from university for making jokes which look like threats when the context is ignored. Are you gonna deal with the argument or keep crying?

I think you’ve shown the answer.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe312
...You have disgusting sanctimonious bloodlust.

I'm a big believer in proportionality as it happens though what 'is proportionate' depends on your point of view. Most grown ups, mothers and fathers of young women at university in particular I imagine, would regard removal as very appropriate for those who had been suggesting they should rape so-and-so a student. Real world dude, real world rules. Also, you are an utter disgrace in your repeated defence of these terrible, terrible students.
free speech died a long time ago
I'm a big believer in proportionality as it happens though what 'is proportionate' depends on your point of view. Most grown ups, mothers and fathers of young women at university in particular I imagine, would regard removal as very appropriate for those who had been suggesting they should rape so-and-so a student. Real world dude, real world rules. Also, you are an utter disgrace in your repeated defence of these terrible, terrible students.

Right you believe in proportionality, it just so happens that anyone with a different view to you about what is proportionate is a disgrace.

In other words, you get to lynch the neo-nazi and anyone who disagrees is defending them and is a disgrace.

Go away kid and let the adults talk lol.
Original post by Joe312
Right you believe in proportionality, it just so happens that anyone with a different view to you about what is proportionate is a disgrace.

In other words, you get to lynch the neo-nazi and anyone who disagrees is defending them and is a disgrace.

Go away kid and let the adults talk lol.

But I haven't talked about lynching anyone :confused:
But I haven't talked about lynching anyone :confused:

I never said you did man. Don't play dumb, I know you're not THAT stupid so as to not understand an analogy.

I understand you have to grasp at straws at this point though.
Original post by Joe312
I never said you did man. Don't play dumb, I know you're not THAT stupid so as to not understand an analogy.

I understand you have to grasp at straws at this point though.

Disgraceful. I'd like to see you put your arguments face-to-face to the mothers and fathers of the female students who were targeted by these men for their abhorrent 'discussions' about raping them. Your eager and protracted defence of these contemptible men is shocking.
Disgraceful. I'd like to see you put your arguments face-to-face to the mothers and fathers of the female students who were targeted by these men for their abhorrent 'discussions' about raping them. Your eager and protracted defence of these contemptible men is shocking.

LOL this kid is hilarious.

I'm the reasonable person suggesting we shouldn't lynch neo-nazis. You're the crazed mob shouting at me that I should see if I can make that argument face-to-face with Jews, and that I'm defending the neo-nazi.

I simply do not agree that the proposed punishment is proportionate. I have a difference of opinion to you. Oh but of course, I must be defending them!! Only in the weak mind of someone unable to actually engage with my argument would that need to be believed.
Original post by Joe312
...I'm the reasonable person suggesting we shouldn't lynch neo-nazis. You're the crazed mob shouting at me that I should see if I can make that argument face-to-face with Jews, and that I'm defending the neo-nazi...

Why do you keep bringing neo-Nazis into the discussion? And now you're discussing Jews? I've not brought either of these things into my arguments which I believe have been entirely reasonable.
Why do you keep bringing neo-Nazis into the discussion? And now you're discussing Jews? I've not brought either of these things into my arguments which I believe have been entirely reasonable.

Are you seriously trying to pretend that you're unable to see the purpose of that analogy?

Your claim that I'm deplorable for defending these students just because I don't agree with the punishment YOU agree with nor care about the feelings of the female students, is just like (i.e ANALOGOUS TO) someone claiming I'm deplorable for stopping a mob from lynching a neo-naz because I must simply not care about the feelings of Jews etc.

It's obvious to everyone that you are simply unable to respond to my argument that half the people at university would be kicked out for making a joke which could be read as a threat when taken out of context. It's obvious you have no response to that, so are just falling back on "Oh you must be defending people who threaten rape!! You're disgusting!!"

No my friend, it's you who are disgusting
Original post by Joe312
...It's obvious to everyone that you are simply unable to respond to my argument that half the people at university would be kicked out for making a joke which could be read as a threat when taken out of context...

If half of those at university are indeed suggesting in their conversations that they should rape so-and-so a student then they should be kicked out when it becomes public. Universities don't want students who are misogynists and who are opposed to their core values as institutions. That these men might have been joking, which I don't assume anyway, makes no difference, that is cold, cold comfort to the mothers and fathers of the female students targeted let alone the students themselves.
If half of those at university are indeed suggesting in their conversations that they should rape so-and-so a student then they should be kicked out when it becomes public. Universities don't want students who are misogynists and who are opposed to their core values as institutions. That these men might have been joking, which I don't assume anyway, makes no difference, that is cold, cold comfort to the mothers and fathers of the female students targeted let alone the students themselves.

As I said, it's not merely rape jokes which would be targeted by your principle. Anyone making a joke about killing someone else would also be subject to your view that we should consider things without context as threats, if they indeed look like a threat when that is done.

So do you really think we should kick out of university anyone who has made a joke about killing someone?

Obviously I've said all this before, you were unable to answer so just started screeching about how I was defending those who make rape-threats, and now you're recycling an argument I've already responded to.
Original post by Joe312
As I said, it's not merely rape jokes which would be targeted by your principle. Anyone making a joke about killing someone else would also be subject to your view that we should consider things without context as threats, if they indeed look like a threat when that is done.

So do you really think we should kick out of university anyone who has made a joke about killing someone?

Obviously I've said all this before, you were unable to answer so just started screeching about how I was defending those who make rape-threats, and now you're recycling an argument I've already responded to.

[sigh] If a group of students have a private discussion in which they identify an individual, or individuals, at their university that they say they should kill, then yes, they should suffer like penalty. As I have now said a few times, that those who have such conversations find it humorous does not make it merely a 'joke' or demonstrate that there is no potential threat. Even if there is no likely threat in what is said it is still unacceptable to target people for discussion about murdering them. It's a complete red-herring to make reference to the use of "I'm going to kill you!" humour which is between friends or said in public in a heated exchange. But please try and stay on track, these students were punished for suggesting they should rape, that's what the discussion was about, setting aside the racism of course, which conveniently for you I haven't even touched on.
[sigh] If a group of students have a private discussion in which they identify an individual, or individuals, at their university that they say they should kill, then yes, they should suffer like penalty. As I have now said a few times, that those who have such conversations find it humorous does not make it merely a 'joke' or demonstrate that there is no potential threat. Even if there is no likely threat in what is said it is still unacceptable to target people for discussion about murdering them. It's a complete red-herring to make reference to the use of "I'm going to kill you!" humour which is between friends or said in public in a heated exchange. But please try and stay on track, these students were punished for suggesting they should rape, that's what the discussion was about, setting aside the racism of course, which conveniently for you I haven't even touched on.

I understand that they were not making a joke about killing someone. I'm trying to suggest to you that your principle has consequences which you have not foreseen.

"I'm going to kill you" humour between friends is indeed the most innocuous, which is why you choose it as an example. However you know full well, as I've said before already in this thread, that people joke, sometimes without even laughing, sometimes even as a way to express frustration, that they want to kill their colleagues, bosses, fellow students, politicians, celebrities, and so on.

Why do you think we should take rape jokes literally, but not murder jokes?

What's your justifications for ignoring the context in this case, when you would apply it to others, like you just did with the humorous 'i'm going to kill you' joke between friends. It just looks like you hate these guys, but don't have a consistent valid principle to add to the debate about what is the justifiable punishment.

If you want to argue that we should take people's comments at face value without context when considering their punishment, you're going to have to answer the criticism that you're applying it inconsistently, apparently only when it suits you.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Joe312
...Why do you think we should take rape jokes literally, but not murder jokes?...

I don't accept that the students discussing who they should rape were joking though you try hard to repeatedly sneak that into your argument as if an established fact. If these students had been discussing the murder of individual students at their university it should be taken seriously, just as discussing the rape of individual students should be. Let me ask you this, have you ever jokingly said to your mum (or sister or other female you were you were friendly with) that you were 'going to kill her'?
I don't accept that the students discussing who they should rape were joking though you try hard to repeatedly sneak that into your argument as if an established fact. If these students had been discussing the murder of individual students at their university it should be taken seriously, just as discussing the rape of individual students should be. Let me ask you this, have you ever jokingly said to your mum (or sister or other female you were you were friendly with) that you were 'going to kill her'?

My argument has been all along that what these men said was indistinguishable from extreme male banter which is a jokey style of impressing each other with one-upping each other's extreme statements. That's the basis on which I say they were joking. I've not sneaked this in at all, you've just forgotten my argument.

No I haven't jokingly said to a female I know that I'm going to kill her, why are my personal details relevant to this general principle?

Explain to me why you chose to ignore the context of their statements and insist we must take them literally, yet you don't ignore the context nor take them literally when it comes to jokes about murder which would equally be considered threats were we to follow your logic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending