The Student Room Group

Acceptance to Lshtm even though I'm doing biology.

Hi all,
Im so enthusiastic about biology, I quite literally live for it. So naturally I am taking it as a bachelors degree. I am in my first year but I'm looking forwards already. I have decided to focus in on microbiology but specifically infections and diseases.
I was looking at courses and the one that really caught my attention was one offered by the London school of hygeine and tropical medicine. However, the course is a medicine based course that usually accepts those who have done a bachelors in medicine. I have decided i would like to go down the clinical side of virology so the medicine part is part and parcel. It says it will accept students with 2.1 in medicine based degrees or other relevant degrees. I' hoping that means my Bsc in biology is included in that.
I am currently studying at Swansea university which I know leaves a lot to be desired when compared to lshtm but am very ambitious and am willing to work to my maximum to realise this dream of mine.

Does anyone have experience with getting into the lshtm with a biology degree and/or any ideas on making myself such an irresistible student they couldnt turn me down.

Many thanks for taking the time to read,
Jenness
Hey 🙂,

I’m a Law student - so I can’t speak for your course specifically, but here’s some useful tips:

1) well done for thinking ahead! It’s good to have a plan, organised people tend to be more successful in achieving their goals.

2) you need to contact this university (find the course leader, or admissions) send them an email with every question you have, they are really good about getting back to you with the relevant info.

3) to make yourself appealing, you need to show a commitment to this subject/profession - there are so many ways you can do that, including: good grades, work experience, joining relevant societies, writing a blog, etc. It’s important to give off the impression that you are someone who has a passion for the subject/career.

Best of luck with this 🙂
Original post by Jenness
Hi all,
Im so enthusiastic about biology, I quite literally live for it. So naturally I am taking it as a bachelors degree. I am in my first year but I'm looking forwards already. I have decided to focus in on microbiology but specifically infections and diseases.
I was looking at courses and the one that really caught my attention was one offered by the London school of hygeine and tropical medicine. However, the course is a medicine based course that usually accepts those who have done a bachelors in medicine. I have decided i would like to go down the clinical side of virology so the medicine part is part and parcel. It says it will accept students with 2.1 in medicine based degrees or other relevant degrees. I' hoping that means my Bsc in biology is included in that.
I am currently studying at Swansea university which I know leaves a lot to be desired when compared to lshtm but am very ambitious and am willing to work to my maximum to realise this dream of mine.

Does anyone have experience with getting into the lshtm with a biology degree and/or any ideas on making myself such an irresistible student they couldnt turn me down.

Many thanks for taking the time to read,
Jenness

This course? I don't think your degree meets the entry requirements but I could well be wrong. You've got nothing to lose by asking the admissions people.
Hi Jenness, it's great to hear you are so passionate about biology and planning ahead to study with us at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine. Is it the MSc Medical Microbiology you are interested in? If so, a degree in biology is absolutely appropriate! The programme does not require students to have a background in medicine, and there would likely be only a few doctors on the course. Most students have backgrounds in subjects like biology, biomedical sciences and biochemistry.

In terms of being a strong candidate when it comes to applying, you already have the first step sorted: passion and enthusiasm for the subject! After that, the additional advice Vivi2018 gives above is completely right; it's good to be able to demonstrate that enthusiasm with any relevant experience you can gain. So consider any modules your current course offers in microbiology, get involved with any relevant clubs/societies and if you can (though it's not essential) and see if you can get any internships or work experience in a related lab or clinical setting.

If you would like to find out more about what it's like studying this MSc, I would definitely recommend getting in touch with some of our Medical Microbiology student ambassadors, who will be very happy to answer your questions. You are also very welcome to [email protected] to discuss your interest in the programme, and you can also look out for our open day which takes place in February and come and see the School for yourself.

I hope this helps, but let us know if you have more questions!

Tom

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending