The Student Room Group

Medical School???

Hello, I'm interested in studying psychiatry at the university level, but I can't locate any institutions that will accept me, and most medical schools require that you take chemistry. I received A*s in sociology, As in psychology, and As in English Literature. Where do I apply and what are my odds of being accepted? Kindly assist me.
Reply 1
To become a psychiatrist -> you will need a medicine degree. All medicine undergraduate degrees require at least one science -> Chemistry -> most will ask for Biology and Chemistry. Since you have not taken those a-levels you're options would be to study a healthcare related degree -> but even then most of them will require at least one science. You could also do psychology at uni (3 years), then apply for graduate entry medicine (but this is very competitive). Or do different a-levels again.
Original post by Milanfoley
Hello, I'm interested in studying psychiatry at the university level, but I can't locate any institutions that will accept me, and most medical schools require that you take chemistry. I received A*s in sociology, As in psychology, and As in English Literature. Where do I apply and what are my odds of being accepted? Kindly assist me.

As alluded to above, you will need to do a medical degree first.

I'd note that Newcastle actually does not have any subject requirements for medicine so you could apply directly. Most will require 2 sciences though - about half require chemistry as one of these (many of the rest require biology as one of those). You can see medical school subject requirements here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5611422

You would need to otherwise aim to meet the entry criteria of the medical schools during a gap year(s).
Reply 3
Original post by Milanfoley

Your options are to apply to Newcastle A100 and Manchester and Dundee A104 course, but they are hugely competitive and require a high UCAT.
Otherwise, sit chem and/or biology A levels in a gap year and apply to med schools that are happy with whatever combination you achieve. Assuming you already have A levels and have not applied this year, that will not take any longer, but depending on how long since you did your A levels, some may not be happy with you having done nothing academic since finishing, so it may actually be an advantage to do an A level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending