The Student Room Group

Midlands4Cities - tricky application question

UPDATE: This thread has evolved into a general discussion on M4C funding for 2024 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

ORIGINAL POST:

I am completing an application for Midlands4Cities funding for an English literature PhD at the University of Leicester, the deadline for which is 10th January. I am feeling a bit stumped by the final question and I am not entirely sure what they are looking for:

Midlands4Cities
Please review M4C webpages: https://www.midlands4cities.ac.uk/
Consider how you might both support and benefit from the Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership. You may wish to discuss these opportunities with your potential supervisor.
You may wish to comment on how you could engage with:

M4C development funding beyond your stipend.

Partner organisations.

Placement and training opportunities.

(max. 150 words)

I don't really know how any of the above would relate to my project. I have asked my prospective supervisor for advice but have not heard back, and I am becoming somewhat anxious given the imminent deadline. If anybody else has submitted an M4C application, or an application to another funder that asked something similar, please could you let me know how you approached this question?

Many thanks in advance.
(edited 2 weeks ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by PlainsOfCement
I am completing an application for Midlands4Cities funding for an English literature PhD at the University of Leicester, the deadline for which is 10th January. I am feeling a bit stumped by the final question and I am not entirely sure what they are looking for:

Midlands4Cities
Please review M4C webpages: https://www.midlands4cities.ac.uk/
Consider how you might both support and benefit from the Midlands4Cities Doctoral Training Partnership. You may wish to discuss these opportunities with your potential supervisor.
You may wish to comment on how you could engage with:

M4C development funding beyond your stipend.

Partner organisations.

Placement and training opportunities.

(max. 150 words)

I don't really know how any of the above would relate to my project. I have asked my prospective supervisor for advice but have not heard back, and I am becoming somewhat anxious given the imminent deadline. If anybody else has submitted an M4C application, or an application to another funder that asked something similar, please could you let me know how you approached this question?

Many thanks in advance.

Hey, I know this is late and my reply is not really advice. I have also applied this cycle to M4C to study at Birmingham City University. I just wanted to ask how your application is coming along now
Original post by Plato365
Hey, I know this is late and my reply is not really advice. I have also applied this cycle to M4C to study at Birmingham City University. I just wanted to ask how your application is coming along now

Hey - I got my application in by the deadline and then had an interview with a panel from the university to determine if they'll be putting me forward for M4C funding, now I'm waiting to hear back! How about you?
Reply 3
Yes same here! I'm applying for media and cultural studies, not literature. Also I'm an international student, so not really keeping very high hopes
(edited 2 months ago)
Yes same here! I'm applying for media and cultural studies, not literature. Also I'm an international student, so not really keeping very high hopes

Best of luck!
Reply 5
I'm also a student in English Literature applying for M4C this year! But my host institution is Birmingham. Wish you best of luck!
Reply 6
Hey - I got my application in by the deadline and then had an interview with a panel from the university to determine if they'll be putting me forward for M4C funding, now I'm waiting to hear back! How about you?

did you hear back?
Not yet. They said no news is good news for now and they’ll confirm offers in April
Reply 8
Not yet. They said no news is good news for now and they’ll confirm offers in April

Have your institution informed you that they will shortlist you? I was interviewed in late Jan. and have yet to heard about me being shortlisted/nominated. Am worried...
Reply 9
did the university give a date to get back after your interview? For BCU, they sent an email after the interview and said "we will get back around mid-February"
Reply 10

i did read in the guidelines that home universities are supposed to notify regarding shortlists in February. Before the final selection with applications from all 8 unis
Reply 11
@Plato365 Birmingham Uni just said "soon". Had no idea how "soon" it would be!
Reply 12
I got an offer though from the university itself
Original post by Aglarien
Have your institution informed you that they will shortlist you? I was interviewed in late Jan. and have yet to heard about me being shortlisted/nominated. Am worried...

No, they said they would only get back to me if I had NOT been shortlisted, so I would take no contact as a good sign!
Reply 14
No, they said they would only get back to me if I had NOT been shortlisted, so I would take no contact as a good sign!

Oh I see! Thank you! Good luck!
Hello everyone, I applied for M4C funding too, specifically Law. Has any one of you got a feedback yet?
Original post by bibian-claire
Hello everyone, I applied for M4C funding too, specifically Law. Has any one of you got a feedback yet?
Nothing yet. I emailed my institution and was told I was put forward by them. We should all hear back in mid April I think.
Original post by bibian-claire
No mid-April is the date they gave
No mid-April is the date they gave
Thanks. Fingers crossed 🤞
Original post by Aglarien
Nothing yet. I emailed my institution and was told I was put forward by them. We should all hear back in mid April I think.
Okay, thanks. My institution is UoB as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending