The Student Room Group

Extenuating Circumstances Medicine

Hello,

I have has very hard time with my A level Maths, taken 1 year early (through year 11 and 12). In AS, I was sick in one of my exams, causing my D1 grade to plummet to an E (C overall), and in A2 I had an infection during my exams, fairly sure I have an A in C3 and C4, so my overall grade will probably be a B. Of course this is not like me at all; I have GCSEs two 9s, a 7, six A*s and an A and grade predictions for my other A levels at A*A*A*A (A may possibly be an A*). I have medical evidence for the C3 and C4 exam, but not D1. This is clearly an anomaly, but I am worried they may assume it is because I self-studied the A Level and was not well prepared (I definitely was). I had to take time out in the exam which severely strained my grade. Will I be considered a serious applicant to medicine?
Original post by spingu101
Hello,

I have has very hard time with my A level Maths, taken 1 year early (through year 11 and 12). In AS, I was sick in one of my exams, causing my D1 grade to plummet to an E (C overall), and in A2 I had an infection during my exams, fairly sure I have an A in C3 and C4, so my overall grade will probably be a B. Of course this is not like me at all; I have GCSEs two 9s, a 7, six A*s and an A and grade predictions for my other A levels at A*A*A*A (A may possibly be an A*). I have medical evidence for the C3 and C4 exam, but not D1. This is clearly an anomaly, but I am worried they may assume it is because I self-studied the A Level and was not well prepared (I definitely was). I had to take time out in the exam which severely strained my grade. Will I be considered a serious applicant to medicine?

The maths is almost irrelevant as long as you have Chemistry and Biology. A levels are required by nearly all unis to be sat in a 2 year window and taking the A level maths early will rule it out. Unusually you are doing another 4 A levels, which you can rely on. Assuming it includes Chemistry and Biology you will be fine for nearly all unis if you get A* or A.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
The maths is almost irrelevant as long as you have Chemistry and Biology. A levels are required by nearly all unis to be sat in a 2 year window and taking the A level maths early will rule it out. Unusually you are doing another 4 A levels, which you can rely on. Assuming it includes Chemistry and Biology you will be fine for nearly all unis if you get A* or A.
Thank you very much for your quick reply!!!
Original post by spingu101
Thank you very much for your quick reply!!!

Just to make it clear as long as you have

3 X A levels sat in a 2 year window, at least AAA or preferably a bit higher and it includes Chemistry and Biology , then you will be fine and you should strengthen other parts of your application like UKcat and experience.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Just to make it clear as long as you have

3 X A levels sat in a 2 year window, at least AAA or preferably a bit higher and it includes Chemistry and Biology , then you will be fine and you should strengthen other parts of your application like UKcat and experience.

Thank you Tigger, that won't be a problem (unless my medical issues get in the way). Do you think I am in a position to consider Oxford or Cambridge now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending