The Student Room Group

I think I'm finished in terms of Medicine.

My UCAT was 2260, Band 3 which was due to my family being away and extenuating circumstances which I will not reveal on the forum as it is personal. I also received CCC in my end of Y12 predicted grades. My teacher says to take the BMAT but unless I can raise those grades, my application is practically useless. I can raise two to an A, however my chemistry teacher will not budge and change it, so I will be AAC. I have booked the BMAT for the 18th of October, but since it is being removed next year my score this year will not matter. Will an AAC even be worth applying with?

What do I do? I've been locked into medicine my whole life, the two years off Covid affected my mental but I got to it and received mostly 7s and 8s in my GCSES. Now in A-Levels it feels like I'm back in 2020 and lost again.

If anyone, medical students, applicants, and doctors have any advice, please... I need it.
Reply 1
Original post by shironage
My UCAT was 2260, Band 3 which was due to my family being away and extenuating circumstances which I will not reveal on the forum as it is personal. I also received CCC in my end of Y12 predicted grades. My teacher says to take the BMAT but unless I can raise those grades, my application is practically useless. I can raise two to an A, however my chemistry teacher will not budge and change it, so I will be AAC. I have booked the BMAT for the 18th of October, but since it is being removed next year my score this year will not matter. Will an AAC even be worth applying with?

What do I do? I've been locked into medicine my whole life, the two years off Covid affected my mental but I got to it and received mostly 7s and 8s in my GCSES. Now in A-Levels it feels like I'm back in 2020 and lost again.

If anyone, medical students, applicants, and doctors have any advice, please... I need it.

i'm not a medicine applicant or anything so i'm not completely educated on the topic but have you looked at medicine courses with a foundation year? if there were extenuating circumstances for your UCAT + grades then you might be eligible for some

edit: from what i've researched, a lot of unis require a B in bio and chem for foundation years but bristol only needs a B in EITHER bio or chem so that could be an option! maybe there are others too :smile: unsure if there's a UCAT cut off but you could always email admissions and ask.

keele's health foundation year for medicine needs BBC with either biology or chemistry but i'm not so sure about whether there is a UCAT cut off.

uea is BBB or ABC, no specific subject requirements. again it does just say that UCAT will have a part in ranking candidates but no cut off listed.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by haum3a
i'm not a medicine applicant or anything so i'm not completely educated on the topic but have you looked at medicine courses with a foundation year? if there were extenuating circumstances for your UCAT + grades then you might be eligible for some

edit: from what i've researched, a lot of unis require a B in bio and chem for foundation years but bristol only needs a B in EITHER bio or chem so that could be an option! maybe there are others too :smile:

I appreciate the help, I didn't take an extenuating circumstances form for my UCAT as I thought my circumstances wouldn't count but looking back they did. I'm hoping to do any foundation courses in London.. but I don't think there's much.
Reply 3
Go to the best university you can on something else and move on with your life and don't let a childhood fantasy or excuses hold you back.
Reply 4
I appreciate the help, I didn't take an extenuating circumstances form for my UCAT as I thought my circumstances wouldn't count but looking back they did. I'm hoping to do any foundation courses in London.. but I don't think there's much.

i don't think many of the london unis do foundation year and those that do (kings does) have higher entry reqs than others. king's is aab or abb or smth :frown:
Reply 5

1)Every school is required to send out an extenuating circumstances form to all students for UCAS, so don't worry, you may still be able to do this for your application form-
There should also be a good mental health support system in every school(facts) for personal situations
2) Why do you want to do medicine? Have you looked into other courses like allied healthcare? you can still do postgraduate medicine, and at this point, what's most important is your mental health so pushing yourself to do BMAT might do more damage than harm. I know a friend who couldn't get into dentistry because of a predicted grade and is now going to study dental therapy which is an allied healthcare course
3) You feel lost, and due to your personal circumstances which may affect your health, at this point, I would recommend repeating the year or taking a gap year which a lot of medical students do. You may be thinking: "But it will look bad in front of my family, I feel like I've failed, am I even worth it?" If you know what you want to do in life, you will do everything to reach that goal, but not at the cost of losing yourself in the process. At that point, it's not even worth it
A fellow year 13 student:smile:(in a similar situation )
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by IO bear
1)Every school is required to send out an extenuating circumstances form to all students for UCAS, so don't worry, you may still be able to do this for your application form-
There should also be a good mental health support system in every school(facts) for personal situations
2) Why do you want to do medicine? Have you looked into other courses like allied healthcare? you can still do postgraduate medicine, and at this point, what's most important is your mental health so pushing yourself to do BMAT might do more damage than harm. I know a friend who couldn't get into dentistry because of a predicted grade and is now going to study dental therapy which is an allied healthcare course
3) You feel lost, and due to your personal circumstances which may affect your health, at this point, I would recommend repeating the year or taking a gap year which a lot of medical students do. You may be thinking: "But it will look bad in front of my family, I feel like I've failed, am I even worth it?" If you know what you want to do in life, you will do everything to reach that goal, but not at the cost of losing yourself in the process. At that point, it's not even worth it
A fellow year 13 student:smile:(in a similar situation )

Yeah, this is what I was thinking.
As long as my A-Levels are on point, my applications this year won't matter, and I might as well apply with God's will helping me xD!
I most likely will take a gap year after focusing extremely hard on A Levels this year to get AAA, after which I'll take my admission tests and hopefully do better. Thanks for the advice. I hope you do well this year too!
Reply 7
Sounds like what you need is a break. Just don’t apply this year, see if you can apply next cycle with grades in hand.

Alternatively, maybe open a proper dialogue with your chemistry teacher and explain your situation, ask what it might take from you for him/her to raise your prediction.
"I think I'm finished in terms of Medicine."

The victors are not victorious until the vanquished consider themselves so. Every goal has its journey, while some more difficult than others, the sword is not tempered and strengthened were it not for the fire of the crucible and the crack of the hammer.
Reply 9
As a current third year medical student, I think the morale in medicine is quite low at the moment and you should make sure that it is really worth it for you. Do volunteering at a hospital or get a job as a HCA and see if it’s worth applying next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending