The Student Room Group

Extenuating circumstances urgent

Guys is it Al right to mention death of a friend for extenuating circumstance even if I can’t obtain any relevant evidence? Do universities consider it to be a really serious circumstance?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous #1
Guys is it Al right to mention death of a friend for extenuating circumstance even if I can’t obtain any relevant evidence? Do universities consider it to be a really serious circumstance?

Can you mention it? Yes. The question is more whether the university will accept it, and what proof (if any) they will ask for -- and that will depend on the university's policies.

Do universities consider it to be a really serious circumstance? Well, I can imagine more serious extenuating circumstances; and I can imagine less serious extenuating circumstances too.

And to some extent it will depend on the context too, and how you were affected.
Usually this would be for your referee to mention in the relevant section of the reference (unless the uni in question has its own specific way to submit mitigating circumstances).

If you are pre-offer, unis tend to consider this more on results day if you miss your offer conditions.
Reply 3
Original post by martin7
Can you mention it? Yes. The question is more whether the university will accept it, and what proof (if any) they will ask for -- and that will depend on the university's policies.

Do universities consider it to be a really serious circumstance? Well, I can imagine more serious extenuating circumstances; and I can imagine less serious extenuating circumstances too.

And to some extent it will depend on the context too, and how you were affected.

Thats tge issue. I dont really have any evidence especially bcz it was a death outside family.

It is for deferral of a course and the university policies are really strict. It says that deferrals after an offer is made are not considered normally.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Usually this would be for your referee to mention in the relevant section of the reference (unless the uni in question has its own specific way to submit mitigating circumstances).

If you are pre-offer, unis tend to consider this more on results day if you miss your offer conditions.

It's for deferral of offer I received
Original post by Anonymous

:console:
Is there an online obituary?
If you're a close friend/know the family well enough they might send you a copy of the death certificate (I know my parents had quite a few copies + spares because various places were asking for it).

How much extra time do you think you need? I would contact your academic tutor ASAP if you haven't already and explain the circumstances. One of my friends was in a similar situation but did manage to get EC somehow.

Also idk about other uni's but my uni does a twice a year self certification thing where you automatically get 5 days extra time on an assignment if you apply for it before the deadline. But it's only valid on certain assignments so it wouldn't work for unmovable things like tests, presentations unless the ec were more severe.
(edited 5 months ago)
It's for deferral of offer I received

I would contact the uni and ask what their deferral policy is. Many just consider them as a matter of course and don’t really require any justification.

If they consider them case by case then I suppose they might want some verification. How they would do this is up to the uni.
Reply 7
I would contact the uni and ask what their deferral policy is. Many just consider them as a matter of course and don’t really require any justification.

If they consider them case by case then I suppose they might want some verification. How they would do this is up to the uni.

They just said that we weighed your circumstances against our deferral policy which states that deferrals after an offer is made are not considered normally. You can take the UCAT in summer 2024 with an improved score to apply for 2025 entry.
They just said that we weighed your circumstances against our deferral policy which states that deferrals after an offer is made are not considered normally. You can take the UCAT in summer 2024 with an improved score to apply for 2025 entry.

Did you already tell them of the bereavement? Did they ask for further evidence?

I'm assuming this is for med. Deferrals are less common due to how competitive it is.
Reply 9
Did you already tell them of the bereavement? Did they ask for further evidence?

I'm assuming this is for med. Deferrals are less common due to how competitive it is.

No I didn’t mention bereavement before as I don’t have evidence. Although I did mention all other circumstances.

Yes it’s for medicine. I mentioned that I was not well mentally and father made a mistake with financial documents for visa application and my visa got rejected. Btw I received offer on 13 July so I had very short time to sort out finances.
No I didn’t mention bereavement before as I don’t have evidence. Although I did mention all other circumstances.

Yes it’s for medicine. I mentioned that I was not well mentally and father made a mistake with financial documents for visa application and my visa got rejected. Btw I received offer on 13 July so I had very short time to sort out finances.

Nothing to lose by advising them about the bereavement now, regardless of evidence. Worst case they say no and you’re in the same position.
Reply 11
Nothing to lose by advising them about the bereavement now, regardless of evidence. Worst case they say no and you’re in the same position.

Hmm 🤔
Reply 12
I can tell you from having dealt with a uni recently on behalf of someone that they are absolutely useless when it comes to extenuating circumstances, even with the loss of a child's mother. They set deadlines, like because you didn't tell them in time it didn't happen (so check the admissions calendar and their policy) also were the school/college not aware? Did they not tell the examining boards at the time of the circumstances assuming that you didn't get the grades you needed?
Reply 13
Original post by Spanx
I can tell you from having dealt with a uni recently on behalf of someone that they are absolutely useless when it comes to extenuating circumstances, even with the loss of a child's mother. They set deadlines, like because you didn't tell them in time it didn't happen (so check the admissions calendar and their policy) also were the school/college not aware? Did they not tell the examining boards at the time of the circumstances assuming that you didn't get the grades you needed?

I am actually trying to defer after receiving unconditional offer. So I was just about to start the course but then I had extenuating circumstances and I couldn’t join. The university said that now my only option is to either defer or withdraw. I chose to defer but they rejected my request. Now I’m in the process of appealing their decision.
I am actually trying to defer after receiving unconditional offer. So I was just about to start the course but then I had extenuating circumstances and I couldn’t join. The university said that now my only option is to either defer or withdraw. I chose to defer but they rejected my request. Now I’m in the process of appealing their decision.

Were you due to join Sept/Oct 2023? When did you first contact them about deferring?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending