The Student Room Group

*work experience and getting a training contract*

I have a degree in history (hons) from a Russell Group uni and a master's in history from Oxford. Both of my dissertations were on legal topics.

I have spent the past year and a half working in the the civil service in a kind of paralegal capacity (Land Registration). I also volunteer in a land law related role for a charity.

I have a couple of offers to start the GDL in September. At the same time, I have had interest from a law firm or two for paralegal roles due to my knowledge of land registration.

I am wondering if I should postpone the academic stuff for a year in order to try and make connections and get solid experience in a private firm beforehand.

I was wondering if any existing solicitors out there could comment on this and perhaps reveal something of their own path (particularly non-LLB graduates).

I have spoken with a magic circle solicitor who said that paralegal experience 'can't hurt', but vacation schemes are really the way to a contract. I have also spoken with a barrister who took the GDL equivalent himself - he suggested taking the GDL asap.
Reply 1
What did you decide? I would have advised GDL btw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending