The Student Room Group

Introducing false solutions - trig

Hi there
I'm having problems detecting when I'm introducing false solutions into my trig work.

I'm doing a question that states:

Given that h(x) = sin x +cos x, 0<x<2pi, find the values of x for which h'(x) = 0.

Here's my working. There are (according to the mark scheme), two correct and two false solutions in my answer.

h'(x) = cos x - sin x = 0
sin x = cos x
root(1-cos^2 x) = cos x
1- cos^2 x = cos^2 x
1 = 2 cos^2 x
1/2 =cos^2 x
+/- root2 / 2 = cos x

so x = pi/4 (correct), 7pi/4 (incorrect), 3pi/4 (incorrect), 5pi/4 (correct)

I know how to work out the answer the right way to get the correct solutions alone, but what's wrong with this way?
Original post by Gabzinc
Hi there
I'm having problems detecting when I'm introducing false solutions into my trig work.

I'm doing a question that states:

Given that h(x) = sin x +cos x, 0<x<2pi, find the values of x for which h'(x) = 0.

Here's my working. There are (according to the mark scheme), two correct and two false solutions in my answer.

h'(x) = cos x - sin x = 0
sin x = cos x
root(1-cos^2 x) = cos x
1- cos^2 x = cos^2 x
1 = 2 cos^2 x
1/2 =cos^2 x
+/- root2 / 2 = cos x

so x = pi/4 (correct), 7pi/4 (incorrect), 3pi/4 (incorrect), 5pi/4 (correct)

I know how to work out the answer the right way to get the correct solutions alone, but what's wrong with this way?

After sin x = cos x your next step should be tan x =1.

Extra solutions are often introduced when you square both sides.
Reply 2
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

Extra solutions are often introduced when you square both sides.

Ahh! Nice to know. thanks!

also, prsom
Original post by Gabzinc
Ahh! Nice to know. thanks!

also, prsom

More specifically, extra solutions in this context are introduced when you multiply through by functions which =0 in the domain of interest - here it is 0<x<2π0 < x < 2\pi.

If you are solving f(x)=g(x)f(x) = g(x) in this range, then multiplying both sides by something like sinx\sin x will introduce extra solutions (if they aren't already solutions to the given problem) since this function =0 at some point in that interval. Multiplying by sin(12x)\sin (\frac{1}{2}x) however it fine because it is not =0 in this range.
Your squaring is essentially multiplying by a function, so there's why you got extras.

You can also go the other way and talk about division too. Dividing through by a common factor that has a solution in the range will make you LOSE solutions.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest