The Student Room Group

Somali father defends FGM after daughter 10 bleeds to death

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tootles
Is there such an equivalent procedure?

FGM can include just needle pricking so yes of course there is.
Original post by the beer
FGM can include just needle pricking so yes of course there is.
Pricking can be a legitimate procedure. I had it done to release fluids trapped under my foreskin, which were not being released on pulling it back. Yes it hurt like a swine, but God it felt better afterwards. Obviously you're not going to do it just for fun, but for things like what I had, it isn't inappropriate.

My eventual circumcision itself was done through necessity, following a number surgeries to attempt correcting prepucial adhesion and later to release my foreskin after it stuck when rolled back. Such necessity does not, as far as I am aware, occur with the clitoral hood, glans clitoris, or either pair of labia.
Nope.

Not reading.

Read a similar article and reading what they did has scarred me for life.

**** this earth.

Moving to the moon, who's coming?
Original post by Tootles
Pricking can be a legitimate procedure. I had it done to release fluids trapped under my foreskin, which were not being released on pulling it back. Yes it hurt like a swine, but God it felt better afterwards. Obviously you're not going to do it just for fun, but for things like what I had, it isn't inappropriate.

Does that mean you would legalise FGM when it only involves pricking?

Original post by Tootles

My eventual circumcision itself was done through necessity, following a number surgeries to attempt correcting prepucial adhesion and later to release my foreskin after it stuck when rolled back. Such necessity does not, as far as I am aware, occur with the clitoral hood, glans clitoris, or either pair of labia.

You're arguing for circumcision where it isn't a necessity so not sure how this is relevant?
FGM is prevalent in Somalia no matter what way you look at it. It is used to undermine Somali culture but rightly so as the act is insane, however many people like to talk about it instead of helping grass root charities or even big ones like UNICEF and ActionAid who are trying to make a change.
This is a side question but i dont see the point in making a new thread, I think i may have had FGM performed on me but i am not 100% sure, do you think it is worth going doctors or should i just carry on as normal?
Original post by MozartEd
FGM is prevalent in Somalia no matter what way you look at it. It is used to undermine Somali culture but rightly so as the act is insane, however many people like to talk about it instead of helping grass root charities or even big ones like UNICEF and ActionAid who are trying to make a change.
This is a side question but i dont see the point in making a new thread, I think i may have had FGM performed on me but i am not 100% sure, do you think it is worth going doctors or should i just carry on as normal?

I don't have medical knowledge about the after-effects of the procedure, but I think seeing your GP is a good idea.
Original post by the beer
Does that mean you would legalise FGM when it only involves pricking?

You're arguing for circumcision where it isn't a necessity so not sure how this is relevant?
I would legalize any surgical procedure for which there is a legitimate need. Is there a need for randomly pricking girls' clits with needles? Of course not. Would I allow puncturing or removing cysts or other fluid buildups? Damn' skippy I would. Under anaesthesia, however - 100% would not recommend having your genitals pricked when awake. It took six adults to hold seven-year-old me on a bed while I was pricked to release a subprepucial fluid buildup. Man that's pain.

No I'm not. I'm highlighting one of the differences between a penis and a clitoris: that one can develop these problems and need the surgery, while the other can't, and therefore won't - ie in one piece of anatomy, there is a valid reason for surgical prodecures to be done, where there isn't in the other. For that reason I'd also allow preemptive circumcision on medical grounds - where there's a family history of prepuce problems, say. Also I don't see what benefit a prepuce offers anyway. It's a ring of skin that offers some perfunctory protection for the glans, but is a point of vulnerability in itself. People talk about sexual sensitivity being lost, but that's only going to be cursory as most of the sensation is in the frenulum anyway, not the prepuce or the glans itself. In fact, even as a cut man, I find (found, been out of action for a while) PIV sex incredibly intense - not in a "come too soon" way, just cringe-level intense - to a point where I have to work up to it in a session.
A catastrophic gobshite.
damn, the culture and tradition is strong.
Reply 109
Original post by MJlover
It’s not culturally superior. Ok it may have the infrastructure and economy at the
Moment but that was done on the back of colonialism - India had a stake of 25% of world trade before the colonisation which was exploited by the British to build theee own economy. And just to quell the inferiority claim about Somalia here is how it looked before the civil war :rolleyes: https://youtu.be/ZsAEw2gDKXI
I was born In Europe after my parents and even my grandparents migrated to the continent, so ur saying an unborn baby planned to born ‘here’ to support your prejudiced comments on TSR?!!

You’re saying if that was somehow a bad thing? Not to mention the india you mention (the Mughal empire) was surprise surprise a colonial endeavour.
Original post by somemightsay888
Things like this are rampant in some countries unfortunately. Many of these countries practice disgusting cultures and customs. Legit, where tf do these things come from? Like how does FGM rise to prevalence?

not trying to start a fight but

Spoiler

Reply 111
Original post by justanotherchica
not trying to start a fight but

Spoiler

Agreed, the practice is abhorrent; i don't care about the religion. It should be banned.
Original post by Napp
You’re saying if that was somehow a bad thing? Not to mention the india you mention (the Mughal empire) was surprise surprise a colonial endeavour.

Its a bad thing... duh
Reply 113
Original post by MJlover
Its a bad thing... duh

Not particularly. You just can’t see the wood for the trees.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending